612 buttons & dash - if or when? | FerrariChat

612 buttons & dash - if or when?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Scout123, Jan 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    As some may have seen in my earlier posts, I am narrowing down on getting a 612 as my daily driver year round. Sticky buttons and leather on dash pulling away, is this something one can expect to happen no mattter what, or is it a quality control issue? My guess is sticky buttons will happen over time no matter what, and leather issue depends on many factors. Long time 612 owners out there that never have either of these happen?

Also, how are the air conditioner ps in Ferraris from these years?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Where are you located? I think if you're in a hot or high humidity environment, then yes, it's an issue. It doesn't seem to be a big issue in the pacific northwest, though.

If you are driving it daily but parking it in a garage at both ends, I think that would go a long way to making it less likely.

3. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Kansas City, MO. It can get up to 100 in summers and below zero in winters. Will be in garage on both ends of daily work drive.

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've spent more time in St. Louis than Kansas City, but as I recall it can get pretty hot and humid there. I'd be a bit concerned.

However, if you keep it mostly out of the sun, that will help dash issues, and there are products which can resolve the sticky issues. So I would still encourage you to go for it, just know what you are getting into.

So far, neither one has happened to me, but I live in a very moderate climate and keep my cars indoors most of the time, when I'm not driving them.

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I was driving a CL55 as DD driver and it had a lot of miles on the clock and I was ready for something new and always wanted a Fcar. After much shopping ended up with a 612 OTO which I had planned to use as a DD. But after I got it I liked it so much I could DD the car just too much traffic and too many parking lots with no good spaces in my area. So I kept the 612 and got a Panamera Turbo S for much less $$$ and only 12k on the clock when i got it and use it as my DD. Not nearly as much fun to drive but has all the new tech stuff and I don't worry so much when I can't find a good parking space. Thinking back on purchase if I had got an early 05/06 612 I might have been more inclined to DD the car? But the F1 in the earlier editions was not so good in heavy traffic especially in auto mode. Where I live traffic is a given so a MT is not really a good alternative for a DD so I would be using the paddles in heavy traffic to save the clutch.

I don't have any trouble with either sticky buttons or srinkage but my car is mostly garaged (So. CA has pretty hot summer conditions but little huymidity) and only have about 10k miles on the 10 year old car so my experience may not be comparible to your driving conditions. I think if I didn't have a serious traffic issue to contend with and could drive it covered parking to covered parking I would use my 612 as a DD. It is so much fun to drive and would not have gotten the Panamera for that mission.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Don't be fooled - we refinished parts from cars all over the globe, all different temperature zones - they all go. Every. single. one.

Yes, hot, humid, climates go quicker but we do a ton of cars from the North East.

4rextc and Makuono like this.
  7. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks for feedback. From reading it seems earlier 05-06 had more leather pulling issues. Is everyone's experience that by 08 leather problems were solved? I am trying to get into an 08 OTO for around 130k. Can't seem to find any optioned with both cruise and heated seats. Only Ferrari can get away with not having that standard on a car as new were close to 300k.

8. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Ferrari of New England has your exact car with under 8K on the clock. I like mine.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm pretty sure heated seats were standard on the OTO. I know cruise was an option, and my car has both.

10. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    That is one I am looking at.

11. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    These 08+ 612 OTO prices are getting close to what one can get a 12 FF.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #12 ttforcefed, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    that 08 isnt an OTO. Doesnt have the steering wheel. and no ceramic brakes.

13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

I think you will find many of the OTO cars to have those options you are looking for. But it seems the OTO cars are holding their prices - at least the dealer’s asking prices. My impression is that prices were down 12 -18 months ago and they seem to have come back for the OTO editions. I think there are just so few in the US (maybe 200?) so they are not competing so much with the Gen1 cars. The late 07 or early 08 cars seem to have many of features of the OTO except the glass roof and magneto switch and CCB.

I think this OTO car checks most of your boxes (heated seats & cruise control) also HGT2 (which is well worth it IMO) except no Daytona seats -

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708910720/overview/

but they are asking 170k and I would expect they will get pretty close that because it is well equipped and fairly low miles (12.5k).

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i was recently asked if i wld sell my 6k mile 357k sticker car for 190k. my car isnt for sale.

15. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I don't think I have owned any Ferrari without dash leather shrinkage and mine have all been California, for the most part garaged cars. It's a George Costanza (Seinfeld) thing:D.

16. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  17. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    But geeez, we are getting FF money. What say you? 2012 FF vs 08 612 OTO? IMO, 612 is better looking.

RonH, Makuono and randkin like this.
  18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree and I got a 612 OTO. Also I think there are a bunch more FF in the US than 612s OTO cars so the price of the OTO cars would seem firmer than the FF which are still going down vs the 612 which seem to be holding or even going up a bit?

RonH and Makuono like this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If you care about looks and don't care about brute performance the 612 OTO is the way to go!

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes looks are a significant part of the picture, if "brute performance" was my main criteria I would likely buy a Hell Car with the 800 hp engine and then trade it in when someone came out with 50 more hp. Most all my cars can get me down the road quickly enough to be in ticket territory by third gear.

21. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Scout, your going to have a great date. She has a certo appello with men.

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The FF is a great car, and if you really want to drive back and forth across the continent in the winter, it's probably a better choice. The 612 is also a great car, handles long trips with ease, and has a more classic look. I'm pretty happy with a 612, but I have to admit the idea of an FF did have some appeal.

23. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    +1

24. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Are all 2009 models OTOs as well? I know they will all have the 599 transmition, etc. but were they all "one to one" special orders? Also, it says they made these cars into 2010, but I have never come across one in my research.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes all 09 and 10s are true OTOs from my understanding

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk