Peloton Exercise Bike | FerrariChat

Peloton Exercise Bike

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by stretchgeneral, Jul 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    We bought a Peloton. So far it lives up to all the commercial hype. Very nice.

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Glad to hear it!!

What's it like in stand-alone mode, i.e. without the virtual group experience?

We bought a NordiTrack. Complete and utter POS. In the fist 30 days, techs came out four times and had to replace most of the electronics. They still couldn't get it to work and eventually refunded the entire cost.

The final slap was they wouldn't come get it, they told us to just throw it away! We had Am Vets come and get it.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The Peloton is very interesting to me, perhaps because of the amazingly hot mom in the TV commerical.

Seriously though, I am curious about the experience when you're not in a 'spin class' type on-line experience. That is, can you do proper power-based training on it? Or, is it spin-class oriented only? Does it export .FIT files to other software platforms for workout review?

The only thing I've read about it is that the (early?) models didn't have very consistent power meters.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Looks like about $4K initial investment with the bike, subscription, maintenance contract, freight, sales tax and the "accessories" like shoes that work on the pedals.

If you want the special clothes, tack on another few hundred bucks.

All in would cover 3+ years at planet fitness. In my experience, I've had a lot more success going to the gym, rather than bringing the gym to me.

But, glad it's workin' for you.

D

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I thought the idea was really neat, so I looked into it as a way to get some additional cardio work in at home. After I saw the upfront price plus the required subscription, I was out.

Mark

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I agree with all of the above. I think $40 a month for the subscription is a little steep, on top of the bike price at $2K.

It seems like a great idea. Not dissimilar from what the gym has offered in spin classes for some time. I'm just not that kind of guy, and figured maybe something at home would be more my speed.

But not at this price point.

D

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The video subscription thing surprised me the most. There are hundreds of YouTube videos you can load up on your ipad to play while you ride. No need for a pay service, IMO.

Mark

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Well that sucks--I was considering one but am not interested in some BS subscription.....

9. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Ok, well I have 30 rides completed so far. I have found the function of the bike to be excellent. The resistance control is very precise and digital on a scale of 1-100. So you can easily vary your cadence and resistance to achieve any level of workout you want. You can ride alone without going into a class, or ride to a live class, or ride to pre-recorded class or ride to a scenic area ( I rode to the top of Mt. Rainier last week). They have several instructors and the classes vary based on time, music type and method (hills classes etc.)

When riding a live class or a live rebroadcast of a previous class, you see the stats of all the people across the country riding at the same time. So you can choose to keep up or race anyone. You also see your personal record for wattage output (KJ), so I am always working harder to try and beat my best every time I ride.

It is really addictive. I bought the bike, the subscription, their shoes with cleats. That is it, about $3K. My fear was what happens down the road if they go out of business or there is a lack of technical support for technical glitches on video screen. Some post such problems in Peloton Facebook forums, but the vast majority I have seen love it.

10. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I do Flywheel.

Kai

11. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    One of my friends is a peloton instructor in nyc, I love it. I typically do 10-14 classes a week in studio elsewhere at a soulcycle like (but better) concept but if I lived anywhere else would stick with doing peloton. Great product and its really nothing like youtube. The subscribed classes are worth it. I've dropped about 70lbs+ from doing this type of spin. For those with a peloton subscription give Denis a go he just had his premier ride tonight and is unlike any other.

12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I did a live class in NYC yesterday with Alex. Very cool.

13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've had a Peloton bike for about 1 1/2 years and my wife and I love it. We stream the classes right into the house and can ride anytime we want. If you consider the cost of joining a gym or a spin class, aside from the cost of the bike, this is no different. My only negative criticism is on the scenic rides. I wish the bike could sync with the topography and give us a real up the hill and down the hill feel. Aside from that the classes and the instructors are terrific.

14. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Zwift Academy - Home. Much cheaper and truly amazing. You can use a trainer bike or even your own.

Kaisake likes this.
  15. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Awesome. Try Denis if you get a chance his energy and class is unlike anything else anywhere.

Really not the same workout at all. That seems ok if you just want to go sit and peddle. The peloton bikes are the hands down best bikes out there.

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

They are totally different pieces of equipment, and I wouldn't say one is "best".

Zwift + an ERG trainer is a power-based cycling workout/training environment. It will make you a faster cyclist. Not a lot of people want to have tiny little upper bodies and silly oversize thighs. If you 'sit and pedal' while doing a Zwift workout, you're doing it wrong.

Peloton is a spin-based cardio workout. If your goal is a higher fitness level/weight loss, Peloton is a solid choice. I love spin class and certainly enjoy the music and camaraderie of it, but I'm under no illusion that it contributes to the specific training requirements of road cycling.

gef3rd likes this.
  17. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmmmm. I raced and there was a time when my training included: road training, spin, and gym. Can you race road bikes with only spinning as your training? No. But is it a good workout that compliments road training? I would say yes.
    FWIW, the best supplemental training for my road racing was mountain biking and mountain time trials. Spinning doesn't come close to either of those.

18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Was your spin work focused on goals like VO2 max or supra-threshold efforts, or was it primarily base/aerobic training ? Genuinely, I am interested to learn! I have easy access to a Keiser spin bike, and it does make a nice distraction from the trainer/rollers during the winter.

(As a point of clarification, I don't consider something like a Wattbike to be a 'spin' oriented piece of equipment. I consider it a more specific cycling/power based thing)

19. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Not quite. You should try it sometime. If you have a competitive bone in your body, you will be squeezed to the limits on Zwift. It's made me ride longer and harder than I ever imagined I would. I researched Peloton extensively so I know what its about too and it has its advantages for sure. For me, Zwift is better by a mile.

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Spin training varied depending on goals, time of season, training load, and some other factors, so my focus wasn't always consistent. I found it to be good supplemental training, and found as a road racer some supplemental training helped my performance. I also used to do similar training on a wind or mag trainer which was usually for intervals. Keep in mind though, these were the days when SRM cranks were the only measure of power, so most training was done by HRM only.

That said, if you want a high intensity workout with the most benefit / minute, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend mountain biking where there's little to no pretending, unlike spinning.

21. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I forgot to mention, that some pro cyclists lead some of the Peloton sessions. George Hincapie, led a class during the TDF of stage 9. He reduced the mountains and break aways into a 45 min microcosm of the actual stage. One could make that ride as hard as you would like, different than just spinning. No doubt mountain biking or road racing or training on a fixed gear track bike outside or on the Swift can be better and more to the liking of some and not others. I just wanted to share the Peloton experience for those who might have an interest......works for me, when I choose to not ride outdoors.

22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    +1 for Zwift and a smart trainer like the Wahoo KickR. Plus this way you have an actual bicycle that can be used for real riding, not just a piece of gym equipment.

Kaisake likes this.
  23. jackjohn

jackjohn Rookie

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    louisjohnjack
    Yes Peloton bikes work fine.
    I have been using them since 2 years.
    I lost 3 pounds in two weeks naturally.

24. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Got the bike, took the class, I’m a former racer.............. I love it. George kicked my but today on the bike!!

stretchgeneral likes this.
  25. Mojosan

Mojosan Formula 3

Jan 31, 2008
    NJ
    I know this thread has been closed for a while but wanted to add my experience in case anyone searches the forum for Peloton.

I was totally unaware of the "hype" surrounding Peloton bikes. I've been cycling abut 10mi day outdoors for a while and wanted to get something for indoor as the cold weather hit. Just began doing research online for a good quality exercise bike.

Was at a function at my daughter's middle school and got into a conversation with 4 MD's and they began talking about Peloton and all 4 were very happy Peleton owners and using it daily.

Ordered one. Total cost with delivery, set-up, and tax was $2370.00 The delivery guys came in a wrapped Peloton van and, in uniform, and were very professional. They were 10 minutes off their scheduled time and gave us a free pair of Peloton branded riding shoes as a "make good" without me asking or even mentioning anything.

So, now we're a couple of weeks in, and both wife and I are really, really pleased with the bike. Great quality, super sturdy, large touchscreen has worked flawlessly. A ton of classes to choose from and all sortable by many different variables. Yesterday I searched for a 45 min class, riding and arms, with interval training, and music by Run-DMC. There were like 6 separate classes that fit that specific of a search. The only thing disappointing to me are the recorded rides thru different areas. They hold your attention, but they don't change speed or resistance as you change elevations or cadence.

In summary, expensive, but worth it.

IcedAmericano and bball16 like this.