Ferrari 0855 Ellena | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Another item i had made was the brake line straps and the fuel line straps that hold the lines to the body. There are 3 sizes for the straps, depends on the sized of the line. I have these water jetted out an again made a bunch to sell as well. Lastly i need to make a little Jig so i can bend them around the correct size tubing and have a nice crisp look. They were made like the originals using 3033? aluminum, so easy bending and install around the lines.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I began the tear down of the motor. I was told that it was rebuilt and never started. Upon disassembly that was correct,
    it came apart very easy as no heat and water caused anything the corrode together. One i brought it to my machine shop they began the process to check it out and determined that although if was a fresh rebuild, it was a sloppy rebuild as compared to todays standards. This rebuild was done around 1973-74. The valves were ground pretty thin, the piston height varied any .010 and a few other items. Soon, when i thought i could get by with a refresh, we are into a whole rebuild.....so off we go....

Crank is getting ground, valves ordered as well as seats. More on this when i visit the shop next week.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Another item that we had to fab was the front bumper fillers. We had a pair on loan from another
    Ellena owner. Each bumper, filler and front end is slightly different. We made a template, then once we
    got the fit that way we liked it with the bumper to the body, we made a wooden buck to tap out the
    edge to get the right finish to the parts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The mechanical fuel pump on these cars utilizes the same technology from the early 50's to late in to the 60's - if not more.

These pumps are problematic getting sufficient fuel flow. When i took this one apart i noticed that the pivot shaft and pivot had substantial wear to it. All these wear points result in insufficient diaphragm motion, due to the slop in the pieces.

I ordered a new pivot, pivot shaft, pivot arms and gasket kit for the pump.

A guy here in phoenix made a pump tool allows you to assembly the pump and check the fuel flow to maximize the output.

Ill be bring him over all my fresh vapor blasted parts, electroless nickel plated cap, screws etc for him to assemble and
    dial it in for me. As part of my engine rebuild we will replace the fuel pump cam and rod - hopefully i get all the fuel flow ill ever need!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Another item that was taken care of while the body and paint was going on was the Carbs.

I talked at length to Mike Pierce from Pierce Manifolds about the 36DCL Carbs that i have.

In conclusion, i sent them off and mike restored them to perfection. One required a bushings on the throttle plate while the rest needed a good tear down, inspection, replating of parts, and, the bodies needed to be black for a correct period set of carbs.

They are like jewelry......

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TerryG! likes this.
  8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes, nice video -

Not my car but a friend of mine that i got to know thru the Ellena project.

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks for sharing Ed, beautiful work.
    Seeing the fuel pump reminded my of an issue I faced. The new diaphragms are thinner and less forgiving when it comes to making a seal. Stick a whole sheet of 600 grit paper onto a sheet of glass and flatten the flanges on both halves of the pump--slow and long passes does it. After a few passes you'll see how bad off they are. The older diaphragms were generally multi-layer and thicker so when the clamp-down screws were over-tightening the flanges would distort.... nothing worse than gas spilling on new paint.

john

10. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I do this sort of finishing flanges flat by sanding too, but I put the sand paper on the front of a mirror. Mirror glass is really flat because
    otherwise if you looked into the mirror you would find yourself distorted. Gee, upon further reflection, maybe I should get a mirror with
    plain glass so that I would look better in it.

P.S.: I use a mirror glued with mirror glue to a piece of 3/8" plywood with the edge bound with thick electrical tape so as not to cut myself.
    I had originally made this mirror to place behind a engine so that I could see what I see doing.

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the input on this....ill get that done before i send it off for testing

12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Pretty soon you'll be up to up to your ears in alligators. Just kidding, it's going to be fun work.

john

14. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Im anxious to get started - i believe I'm going to hang the suspension in the next two weeks to get it
    on rolling wheels....that is all ready to go....just need to finish final assembly of the rear springs.

I keep going over in my head of the sequence i'd like to follow to assemble the car. Unfortunately the motor
    will not be back for a few more months, but everything else is doable.

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Or, you can get the first biggest pain in the ass done first and behind you--the rear axle/suspension. I did plumbing and wiring first, then took the simpler front to back approach.

john

16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    John, yes I'm putting the rear in first thing!! Need to talk with your again about the procedure..

I know it is tricky....

17. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  18. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    How are you going to protect it while assembling?

john

19. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Tape where needed, maybe some clear wrap on the door sills and top of the fenders

Careful and slow for sure....

20. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Be ware, if the paint and the cover contain the same material, like polyester, the two would tend to bond if left stuck together a long time.

john

21. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Good point for sure....any tips you would like to share since you just finished your Lusso?

22. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed, I used old quilts and blankets. If you don't have enough just visit your local thrift shops. Blankets you can cut to shape and tape on or clip on.

john

23. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
  24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Lowell - as soon as i get this car done, ill be have a very large cleaning party at my garage!