First Gen California - Depreciation Curve? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First Gen California - Depreciation Curve?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by AtlSAM, Dec 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Apparently the issues can still rear its head though the repair cost is much less then in the beginning of the issue (though there is no guarantee it will happen to you at all), then you have the top sensor failures, and engine mount issues across the entire production run that "could" occur. At the end of the day I feel confident enough that it shouldnt be an issue if you give the car you consider a proper check, PPI, Maintenance history, ect.

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I think the only way to be sure not to have a transmission problem on the early cars is to buy one that has had it replaced or repaired.
    So many Californias are low mileage that it just hasn’t happened to them yet.

3. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Sounds like some scary points to consider on a car that's reaching quite an attractive price point on the used market.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    To be fair the engine mount issue isn't "new" since mounts go out on 360's and 430's all the time and in reality aren't that expensive to replace nor that hard to do for a DIY weekend project. The thing is you sure don't wanna drive the thing around with bad engine mounts for too long or you will be shelling out for a new tranny.

The DCT failures didn't affect as large a segment as you'd think though was a major problem that obviously has been addressed with the addition of the rear mounted transmission cooler in later build California's and California T's.

And finally the bad sensors in the top mechanism could occur on any convertible reguardless of make and would be an expensive repair given the required method of diagnosis.

Then you have "Ferrari" problems like they all require battery tender's and Ferrari battery's suck. The electronics can go wonky for any number of reasons (low battery, start too quickly, mouse farts when you start your car, etc.)

Given all that it's important, like any Ferrari, to know it's issues so you can be prepared and know what to look for. It's been said in any number of threads that if you want reliability buy a Porsche. The California is a pretty darn reliable car, especially for a Ferrari. I'm not scared to buy one even given the issues some of the cars have had.

5. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    We have a CAmbrio Corsa Spyder for office use--w F1 and we know it can its own issues, but a failing transmission a car as new as even the oldest Cali would be tough to take. Like the look though.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I probably have a bit different method them most people on looking at the California's. Since I plan to drive what ever I buy I'm already looking at cars with 30k to 40k miles. Then search the CARFAX, maintainance records (where previous cars would have had transmissions issues addressed) PPI, Visual inspection, and might even throw in a check with the magic 8 ball, and that's just to start.

Low mile examples would be where I'd worry particularly mid 2012 and older. But even then it's not like the entire fleet was plagued with DCT issues, was just something that happened on more then a few cars. And it's an electrical issue not anything to do with the mechanical parts of the DCT.

At first I was pretty worried but found out it's not that big of a problem and while not a drop in the bucket the repair is much cheaper now then it was. And if you get it certified for warranty or purchase CPO your covered. If your interested in a California don't let the DCT problem run you off, or look at mid 2012 and up.

7. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    I am getting ready to sell my 2011 Cali this year. Red/Tan, 11k miles, cruise, carbon fiber steering wheel, yellow tack, red brakes, red piping on Daytona seats, aluminum foot rests on both sides, and will have new tires when I part with it.
    David Treen
    504-343-6860

8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Thanks for the offer, hopefully everything will fall into place like I hope and I'll be ready to buy soon.

9. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    Based on my experience with Porsche,(911 Carrera S) I can say, they are no different than any crap out there in the market. My Maserati GTS is way more reliable.

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

And quite good looking.