The Spider Top by Garfield Exotics is Back ! | FerrariChat

The Spider Top by Garfield Exotics is Back !

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambi America, Jan 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

If you've been around FerrariChat for a while, you might remember the Spider Top tonneau cover made by fellow Fchatter, Hank Garfield. The Spider Top is a sun-blocking, dust-stopping, water resistant, quick install/remove temporary cover for your 348 or F355 Spider (all years). It is designed so you can park on a concours field before judging, at a coffee shop, the grocery store, or in your own garage without needing to raise or lower (and latch) the convertible top.

Before Garfield Exotics suspended production around 2012(?) we sold several hundred of these covers fitting the Mondials, 348, and 355. Happily they're back in production and we've got our hands on the first batch!!

Folks in warmer climates can certainly enjoy the Spider Top right now. Those of us suffering another cold winter.... well, it never hurts to stock up on Ferrari accessories in anticipation of springtime!

Available now: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/collections/spider-top-by-garfield-exotics.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #2 johnk..., Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    That is fantastic. Hate putting the top up and down when out for a drive and stop for lunch. I was going to order a cheap car cover and cut it down. Now I won't have to. Thanks Daniel. One question, why black? A light color would be better from the point of view of heat/sun.

Not to mention that having a power top the you have to get in the car, start the engine, lower the top , get out of the car, put the cover on, and get back in the car to drive is just plain stupid. What was Ferrari thinking with the 355? :rolleyes:

3. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    That looks great!

Robb

5. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    i leave my top down all driving season in the garage. The red car cover is a bit of a PIA.

Ordered.

Robb likes this.
  6. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Man, what a great idea! Wish they made them for 360's!

Robb likes this.
  7. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Why not just put the factory cover on the car even if the top is down - that always worked for me.

8. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    Same. I put the top down in May, and then put it back up in September.
    The only reason I would put the top up is if i happened to get caught in the rain.

Otherwise, its Top Down, Windows Up, Doors locked when im out...
    And covered with the top down in the garage.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    A couple of questions:

1) How long does it take to raise and lower the roof on a 348/355 spider, compared to faffing around with this cover?

2) Surely it's better to operate the roof mechanism every now and again to keep it working properly, rather than leaving it down all it's life? (And then finding that your roof doesn't work properly when you really need it to, say during a surprise shower of rain for example?)

10. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    The top goes down/up quick enough but if you want to put the boot on with all its snaps, that takes 5 minutes.

11. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Good points. I’ll let you know when I get It.

My car is on the bottom in a lift set up with not enough height to operate the top when parked. It is for this reason that the factory cover is kind of a pain as well. Neither is horrible but just another thing to deal with. M

I’m think this might be a quick and easy solution for everyday type usage. Maybe I’d use it when out and parked also although I don’t really park the car with the top down for to long.

It may end up being just another accessory I have for the car. Like the radio. We’ok see.

12. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have either this or one very similar. For its job, it is perfect.

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Finally got a decent day to take the 355 out after a very long winter season. Top went down perfectly and used the new cover for the first time on putting the car away. It took about a minute to install and does the job perfectly. This will keep dust out of the cockpit and negate having to raise the top when putting the car in the garage.

That said, the top is down and since I really only drive the car on top down days, it may not go up again! Great product.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    What the material like, Bob? Also, it appears that it is not cut across the back like the tonneau cover is, correct? Anything holding it to the sides of the car?

15. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    It’s just a thin nylon like material John. It folds up and fits in a pouch about the size of 8 1/2 x 11 in notebook

It only has two of the tenax snaps on it at the most rearward locations on the top of the car. From there you flop it over the windshield and out the wipers on top of it and put the cutouts over the side mirrors. Done.

It’s very simple but works well for me as the top is always down in the garage without the car cover so this will keep dust out.