Conflicted about first purchase. Help? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Conflicted about first purchase. Help?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chadwick Ferrari, Dec 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

I have never owned older Fcars, only Porsches 9since 1968) but what would put me off is the cost of maintenance on older Fcars if you really drove the car very much. The engine out service on the F355, also I believe the 348 and TR as well. That plus getting the service records of older and multiple owner cars can be problematical so you are not sure what you are getting even with a PPI. I guess if I was able to do all the work on the car myself and had the skill set to do it then it would not bother me so much? While Porsches are not cheap to maintain, Fcars are a whole new dimension if you are not doing the work yourself.

Since you seem to be fairly new to Fchat, I suggest you do some searches under those particular models. Look under the Forums for those models and search maintenance, prices etc. I am sure I have seen some threads on the information you are interested.

cavlino likes this.
  2. 70383Cuda

70383Cuda Rookie

Nov 28, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    LOU ESPOSITO
    Thanks for the direction.
    I will agree that the maintenance is a real challenge with these years, there is just something about their classic lines that is hard to walk away from. As I noted. Definately old school

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have a 2007 F430 spider with a 6-speed. I ordered this car new. I have 35K miles on it and the maintenance has been less then my M5 DD. Although the M5 has 136K miles and did not start having problems until 83K miles when it needed a new SMG unit and clutch. The 430 is a joy to drive and the handling and sound is perfect. I removed the vacuum lines to the exhaust so instead of the sound coming on at 4K Rpms it is always loud

nicholasn, DrewH and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    >16M,360 CS,Scud,430 MT,360 MT. (+ 308 Vetro if you want a Classic:))

Depending on your budget.

458 amazing car but still got further to drop.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There is something to be said about being on the shorter side, agreed the 4C is not the easiest to get in and out of, but once you are in, it is worth the trouble. I do not have a lot of experience with the older cars other than seeing them in my local dealers service bays. I will say one thing though every time I would ask about one they had there the answer involved some pretty ridiculous numbers.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If you get an updated and serviced TR, it is easy to live with.

7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I totally agree with you about being old school and liking the lines of the older cars. For me the 60s and early 70s were the best whether talking American or European. Every single car looked unique, whether you loved it or hated it. Todays cars all look the same. Even supercars (can you really tell the difference visually between a new Corvette and a 599). However the 60s American cars drove like crap and the European are generally maintenance whores.

So for me I have a newer generation Ferrari that drives great and is easy on the maintenance. To scratch the 60s bug I am thinking about something American but a restomod so you can enjoy the drive.

randkin likes this.
  8. KTMBROWN

KTMBROWN Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    No cal
    I recently bought a 2008 430 F1 with 10,000 miles on it after driving the 430, Gallardo, and the R8 on the track. I have ridden as a passenger in the 458 for a full day at Sonoma raceway. The 458 is an insane car but I did not want to spend that much money for a car that I intended to drive quite a bit. The Gallardo handled very poorly with a lot of TC intervention and understeer —but the sound was amazing. The R8 was not a very connected experience, and the 430 was the right mix of visceral noise and handling. I was not willing to spend the money on a 458 as this is my first foray into cars from a history of motorcycle ownership, and I plan to drive the car versus stare at it in the garage . I live on an 8 mile twisty country road (Salmon Falls) and cannot get the grin off my face every time I drive the 430 with the windows down. I have put 2600 miles on the car in 5 1/2 months and have not had any issues whatsoever. I did discover the manifolds were cracked during initial PPI so I chose to replace them with Tubi headers instead of putting on another set of stock manifolds which would eventually fail as well. After owning Ducati‘s for the last 17 years the sound of the 430 is intoxicating and equally pleasing. I appreciate the fact that I can put many miles on this car and sell it in five years for a decent price. I do not feel that I would drive the car as much had I spent another hundred thousand. If money is no object of course I would’ve picked the 458. I found some solace in the fact that I can drive the 430 quite a bit and still get out at a decent price, and personally I like the style of the 430 over the 458. One piece of advice I have is get your wife or girlfriend to drive the car on a nice road immediately after purchase. It’s hard for anyone to drive the car and not appreciate what it represents. This goes a long way for them understanding why you spend hours playing with the car and driving it. Plus it’s pretty sexy to watch your wife power through the gears at full throttle with a **** eating grin on her face! Good luck, if you live in Northern California shoot me a message so we can hook up for a drive.

INTMD8, Azikosha, adall and 1 other person like this.
  9. Palladin

Palladin Rookie

Sep 25, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Go with the 430.
    At 65 I've had or driven pretty much every kind of car imaginable. Some were super fast others had go kart like handling. The 430 has as much power and handling as a normal person can use. Some would say that you need more horsepower but the tires and the electronic traction control only allow so much acceleration. I love my 430 and it gives me that Ferrari feeling and I love that sound under full throttle.! What radio.!!
    I think one my favorite things about the car is being able to see the top of the engine in the rear view mirror.

paulchua, randkin, DrewH and 2 others like this.
  10. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Well said, thanks. Enjoy the 430!

11. Jack-Porsche

Jack-Porsche Karting

Oct 30, 2016
    USA
    I have yet to own a Ferrari, but have had the pleasure of driving a 430,458 and a Gallardo.
    If money is no object, the 458 is an easy choice. If you want to spend less go 430 over the Gallardo.
    If you are going to be too concerned to enjoy any, start with something even less. Enjoying is the priority.

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    348 stick from the three you list is my vote

cavlino likes this.
  13. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    The Elephant in the room would be any Ferrari 360 for simple lady like lines and a sound that will get the villagers grabbing their pitchforks, fast reliable and pretty

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Battleweapons

Battleweapons Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Jerez De La Frontera
    Hello...

You cannot go wrong with the 458... one of the best ferrari ever...best berlinetta ever....endless joy and sensations.

CLP likes this.
  15. CLP

CLP Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    The 458 is an amazing car. A truly awesome, fun, usable and I would *strongly* recommend that you buy from a main Ferrari dealer. With an F power warranty (2 years mandatory from dealer) and possible some service pack still on the car, it's a great way to enter the market while building some relationship with a dealer. Very helpful with future purchases, in my experience.

I was new to the brand only 3 years ago and already had Cali 30, 458, Cali T and just bought my first new 488GTB - it happens quickly, once you're hooked, your fooked ;)

Battleweapons likes this.
  16. Battleweapons

Battleweapons Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Jerez De La Frontera
    +1

17. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Aint that the truth!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Hi everyone.

After a long search, research and thought I put down a deposit on a 2010 458 over the weekend.

I’ll post updates and pictures once the PPI is done and I take possession next week.

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent feedback. I had my heart set on a 430, but when I saw this 458 my jaw hit the floor. You only live once, right?

paulchua, Cigarzman, LightGuy and 5 others like this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

We will be anxiously awaiting your pics. Fingers crossed bro. All the best , Kirk.

20. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I picked up the 458 earlier this week and posted an update here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/just-picked-up-the-458.572728/

I only had a couple of days to drive it before vacation, but wow what a car! It’s hard to say I like it more than the 430becausw they are a generation apart and you can tell.

I still have a lot to learn, but happy to have made a decision. Thanks very much to everyone in this tread for all the great advice!

paulchua likes this.