2018 Season - Mercedes knocking on the door of 1000hp Engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 Season - Mercedes knocking on the door of 1000hp Engine

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

vinuneuro likes this.
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  3. DF1

Oh...I think Luke is bit old now LOL. New blood required lol :)

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    True :) But somebody please topple Merc :D

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Serge?

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    With only 3 power-units allowed all season for each driver, I'm highly sceptical that Mercedes will be running 1000bhp at any race tracks this season.

Saying that, I hope they do keep pushing the boundaries when it comes to power output, as scenes like this really do make Me laugh out loud:

Attached Files:

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You make NO sense - ALL the talent for F1 engineering resides in England.
    Toyota had an F1 program based in Germany see what that got them :confused:

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Is that the one that cost him the 2016 WDC

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Because buying an already existing team and changing its name and livery is cheaper than the Real Thing.

Ferrari is the Real Thing and Mercedes is not, no matter how many cans of silver paint they spend.

crinoid likes this.
  11. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yet one is quite satisfied while the other is not...that’s real.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Err, Ferrari ..........

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Higher towers have fallen.

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They Started their F1 operations in 1950. Anyone starting this century would be better of doing it in England
    Red Bull are based in England - Renault are based in England

15. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #40 vinuneuro, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Much of their talent comes from England, and the team's location is still an issue. Newey said the first few times Ferrari recruited him, he didn't want to go to Italy because of having a young family. Allison left solely to be back in England. Kimi's race engineer very recently left due to personal reasons and needing to be in UK. And there are probably many more that we don't know about in less visible positions.

In the last few seasons even Renault said their powertrain location in Viry posed a challenge in catching up because it was harder to get talent. Toyota was based in Germany and failed miserably, same story with Honda. Ferrari is an exception due to history, but it'd be fair to say they'd be more competitive if the F1 team was based in UK.

jgonzalesm6 and F2003-GA like this.
  16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Hopefully Brexit may urge Mercedes to start designing and building their cars back in the Fatherland !

Renault should build their cars in France, and so on.

Olympic Teams and National Football teams have simple rules, so should F1.

Then fans of each F1 manufacturer can be patriotic to an authentic team !

17. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Most definitely true, but to call Mercedes not real while declaring Ferrari the real deal is some real denial. Ferrari have been tripping over themselves for a number of years now. I love the scuderia, but not blindly...they could stand to learn a thing or two from those fakers.

Interesting analogy. What about the athletes that live in, train in, and mostly compete in the US...yet represent some foreign nation during the Olympics...? Not real athletes? Not real citizens? Not team players? Not the “real deal”...?

What about foreign auto makers setting up manufacturing facilities in the US...? Is a Honda made in Ohio not a Honda?

I’m not against pragmatic decisions. We live in a global economy. Mercedes is getting on with the task at hand and Ferrari has not been...now some people want an asterisk for Mercedes because their HQ is not in Germany.

18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

F1 teams can train and and practice where they like. The Olympics and Football are about birth place, and we all know that Merc F1 cars are conceived, born and built in Britain.

There is a cheap fix to this. F1 can stop playing the national anthem of wherever the winning Manufacturer happens to place its brass plaque.
    Patriots would be rewarded when National Anthems correlate with the birthplace and production of cars.

If the sloppy regulations carry on like this, Ferrari should relocate to England too.

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    What I´ve said is not related to success. Red Bull was very succesful for some years but still is a Stewart (Ford) rebranded by the guy who is paying the bills. Same for Mercedes: they´re winning, yes, and I respect that, but it´s not the same team that won in the 50s just because it has similar name and color. The historical link is missing, despite the efforts of the Mercedes marketing department. Of course they can foul those who don´t know the story of the sport, but here we´re in the know.

20. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I understand what you’re saying, but it is contrary to everything that Enzo Ferrari did...he was a “win regardless” kind of guy. He didn’t give two hoots about heritage or history...it was all about winning. Ferrari has lost that plot and is struggling to regain it. I love vintage cars, motorcycles, trucks, airplanes, boats, etc...I don’t, however, see any room for vintage in formula 1. If one wants to think that a team is not real because it is a multi-national entity with roots in a particular location that is separate from the racing operations, that is ones prerogative. I feel quite confident that nobody at Mercedes cares. And, I’m quite confident that nobody at Ferrari is walking around thinking that a distant second in the championship is a-okay because they can squint and see a straight line to the 50s.

vinuneuro and F2003-GA like this.
  21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said my friend

BMWairhead and vinuneuro like this.
  22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ferrari was a quite contradictory man. He was a "win regardless" but he acknowledged the value of being "legend". There are many quotes about this, and in the end, he kept his cars red and kept buildig his own engines, despite this made his life harder.

True, but again not related to what I´ve said. I´m a ferrarista because Ferrari is what it is, not because they´ve won a lot. Mercedes is winning a lot, but it´s not the same than Ferrari is, and I think nobody would argue about that.

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Even Ferrari F1 employ quite a lot of contractors from the UK ,as do Toro Rosso.

24. DF1

The location 'argument' is not relevant. Results are. Thats all that matters.

25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

That's fine. But let's stop pretending they are German cars, and stop playing the German national anthem each time Merc wins.