#02956 Restoration | FerrariChat

#02956 Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Talk about saving a car ... good luck, can't wait to see the development.

Nice one, congrats to you and the owner to resurrect it to its former glory.

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I will need some good luck on this. The roof looks like swiss cheese and will need to be replaced also!!

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You can't escape from doing Dino's! At least this one seems like you'll be rescuing what many might just total.

5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    You're making a replacement skin for the roof, I'll send the old one and you can use it to strain your paint through it!!

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Can you post a few pix of the roof (swiss cheese :))

Regards, Alberto

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That car is very lucky to be at John’s place. Looks like someone tried to create the 1st mid engine Ferrari GTS !

9. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    I am very confident that the body of 02956 is in good hands. There are still lots of parts that need attention and I am continuing to make progress with my to-do list. Here are a few pictures showing some sheet metal parts as well as the rear lamps. Fortunately, I was able to get the tail lamps apart and that they are restorable. The reflectors are off to be metalized and the lenses are to get a good polish. The bulb holders are presenting a bit of a challenge as a bulb is stuck in one of them. It is currently soaking in PB blaster. Does anyone know where I can get replacement bulb holders if this one is beyond repair? I have also put all of the gauges into the instrument panel. They are all direct from Ferrari and unfortunately, at the time, I couldn't get US gauges for some of them. Has anyone had success in getting new gauge dials made? The odometer will require recalibration to miles as well. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

I have a US MPH speedo that I would trade for your KM/H speedo.

Freeman

12. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    Freeman,
    Sorry, but I found one already. Thanks for the offer.

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    North Hollywood Speedometer should be able to do it. http://www.nhspeedometer.com

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    One of my bulb holders cracked apart earlier this year. Superformance has them.

15. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Still waiting...
    Happy New Year!
    Regards, Alberto

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    JL350 likes this.
  19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Back from the dead.....great work !

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Jon, Any chassis/accident damage or was it all just rust that took this car off the road.

Someone is doing a major "I'm not giving up on this project" with this car. They will be thrilled when it's done and it will be another beauty by Jon.

21. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yes there was accident damage to the car. I’ll let the owner comment on that if he wishes.

22. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Not necessary. I'm just always amazed how unloved some Ferraris become by their prior owners. Makes think of those unwatchable ASPCA ads on TV. All will be right or better in many months.

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Two Dino, and two noses that had to come off my two restorations. And they had been removed before.

Both were horrible, but one, so badly botched up, that when jacking up one car the windshield went,

as the whole nose had been re-installed with just a few attachment points. Even after removal, they were horrid.

You point is most valid, this happens to old cars as they become unloved, and either rot away, crushed, or ...
    thankfully, restored :)

Regards, Alberto

24. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    02956 was born in Nov 1971 and involved in a front end accident at mileage 11,816. The LH side of the nose had a circular depression indicating that it may have hit a pole. I don't know the exact date of accident or what happened to the original owner as a result of the accident. The title showed that in August 1974 the car changed hands from Algar Enterprises to Interauto. The vehicle was then sold to Wilson Motor Company in St. Clair, Missouri. They were considering racing the car at first and bought a European engine-trans to fit the car. They lost interest and the car sat outdoors without wheels in a lot for at least a year. On June 30, 1975 I purchased the car and transported it to Michigan. The Dino was missing many parts as Wilson Motor started stripping the car; wheels and tires, shocks, seats, RH door and many other things that I discovered along the way. Rust had claimed the bottom 6 inches of the car. I stripped everything off the car and boxed them up. I purchased the major missing items including a new full nose, wheels, shocks, fuel tanks, bumpers, RH door and much more.
    Then I got married, had three sons, built a house, got divorced and traveled all over the world. Then I remarried to the love of my life who supports me 100% on the Dino. I have been actively working on the car for the last 5-6 years restoring many of the chassis and interior systems. I had contacted a number of different restorers to help get the body fixed. No luck. I put together all the equipment to do the work myself and started making some of the parts....then I went back to work. So, now what to do. I sent a note to Jon to see if he could help and he said OK. That brings us to date.
    Back to business. I have completed the restoration of the tail lamp lenses and reflectors so I thought it would be worth a couple photos. I also worked on the bezels for the lamps and determined that they were toast. They are made of brass and tend to crack. I found a source in Italy that had a full set so those are also shown in the pictures. I also pulled out of storage the interior door panels to see how they looked. The original trim panels were vinyl and since I was missing the RH door, I purchased a complete door. It included everything including a new door trim panel. Now it gets interesting. The LH door panel is one-piece and the replacement panel is 2 piece. I is also covered in leather. Can anyone tell me if this was normal construction for cars with leather trim. See the pics. I will have to re-do both door panels as the foam has completely disintegrated....since I plan to redo everything in black leather, I would like to follow the same construction technique used by the factory.
    I am so grateful that 02956 is in the hands of the master....this is a Dino worth saving.

Regards, Jeff

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ribolla_67 and NYC Fred like this.
  25. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Jeff,
    The door panels you have are both correct. The leather version has a two part design to allow the ribbed insert to appear to sit on the main panel without any visible edging stitching seams. The centre section of the vinyl version was heat stamped to create the look of the insert section so only required a single piece board behind it.