Anyone with information on the current 94s on the market? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone with information on the current 94s on the market?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Auraraptor, Dec 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Do that when your existing shaft breaks ... I bet it will never happen ... :D

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That's correct Romano, when you see the old diff that I still keep at home you will hardly find a crack .... till I lift it ... :D

On the other hand there were at least three faulty diff found in my neighbourhood of TR friends ...

Imo it depends on the real gb skills of the mechanic ... (are there any left ?)

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Agreed. But with the 94+/M diff which is forged, the you said the break was under the bearing, so no way to inspect that without taking the diff apart? Only the welded old style diffs seem worthwhile inspecting with a boroscope - is that right?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Correct ...

5. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    So if I were to buy a 94 with the updated diff from the factory, people are still changing them out for peace of mind or because they too have been catastrophic? Is this still a bargaining point when buying a 94+?

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I bought a 92 car about 15 years ago, and upgraded the diff from Paul Newan and quill shaft (Robert Hayden, uzz32soarer) around 2010. I paid an additional £6k or so during a major service for the parts & labour for the upgrade.

I would characterise the £6k as an insurance policy against a £15k+ spend if you hit a landmine. I know people who have had issues, but only due the weld breaking on the old style carriers, not heard of the newer OEM carrier catastrophically failing.

My service shop in Italy maintains around 90 TR/Ms, and say that they have never seen one let go in 20 years. So gives you an idea of the frequency of failure.

Unless you want the 94 for a particular reason (e.g. ABS etc), if you want peace of mind, buying an earlier car and upgrading may be a good option. The last I looked the premium for 94 cars was more than the cost of the upgrade if carried out during a major.

Looking back, Newman's carrier was a very good option, and of exceptional quality. There's certainly no need to replace the whole diff. The jury is out on the need for the quill shaft.

7. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Very interesting stats! When reading the threads here, sometimes it makes me think it is a wide spread problem. I was looking at a 94 for the rarity of that years production. Plus the age old timing belt service interval.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    So if I understand correctly, some 94s have a partially upgraded differential. Does anyone know the SN cut off for when that occurred in the MY94 production run? Thank you

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you use robert hayden`s ( uzz32soarer ) shaft then your "fuse shaft" is the main shaft. so put in a better/ stronger main shaft and lay shaft with crown. so I did
    question is what will break next???

10. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really understand what you are saying.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the original shaft is like a fuse in an electrical system. it will break when you hardly accelerate and try to shift very fast ( but only in 1st and may be also in 2nd gear ). the shaft itself turned then during acceleration from one end to the other up to 180 °, so a half circle. when you then push the clutch pedal the shaft jumps back to the normal position and more, like a spring. and then the shaft will break.
    rob haydens shaft can turn up to 270 ° ( so 3/4 of a circle ), jump back, even overjump and nothing happens. but because of this now the main shaft also get under this "spring-power" and could break - have one broken at home - there where the swifel shaft is connected with the main shaft
    so I would say: never only change the swifel shaft, also replace the main shaft ( but of course not the weak original material )
    it is not really necessary to replace also the lay shaft and the crown if you not have additional power like mine has

not really. you also may see nothing and when you take it apart you see it is broken

12. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Any idea what the stats are of this breaking? I know the carrier is weak, but in 92 and forward apparently there were recalls updating the carriers and various other drive train parts over the model years. Maybe instead of a 94 TR, I should get a early 90's Diablo? They seem to have better luck with drive train parts and no pesky belt changes? I'd love to put a prancing horse in my garage, but the Diablo (from my research) seem to have less issues? Thoughts...

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry:
    before I did not mean swifel shaft, I mean quill shaft

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    no thoughts because no experience with diablo
    but where is our "mr. freeze miami vice" shamile?
    he for sure could tell you. you may message him

15. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Yes! Thanks. That's a name I never thought to message.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat mobile app

16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Giving all the excited discussion over many years, the fact that no one has posted a photo showing a broken 94+/M carrier which has catastrophically failed (vs the welded one where there are stories) would suggest there is no widespread issue with the newer OEM carriers. I would only do the upgrade on the earlier cars unless you see some real evidence here.

I think some people who have suffered a failure are not surprisingly in the "everything will fail camp", others are probably in the businesses of making and repairing these kind of things, and might benefit from all this talk. Only when people start buying Diablos instead, crying wolf, becomes a problem - no more business. Call me cynical.

TODDZTR likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are cynical :)

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed Romano .... some would even write down other words ...

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yes it is.

If the oem diff breaks you may face a loss of more than K$20 ... it is a bargain point imo.

So it is a sales point if you can show that an upgraded diff is installed (with genuine documentation). As is happening now too.

20. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Use the Google force, I imagine it will find what your looking for!

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If it was that easy I wouldn't have asked....unfortunately no one seems to know for certain without looking at the gearbox number directly. Estimates put it around SN 96100-97200 but again, no definative/consistant number. I was curious if those far more knowledgeable had more information then a ~1100 SN range.

As far as gearbox numbers go (quoted from earlier thread): 512 with gearbox number 1370 or later will have the forged differential housing. All after gearbox number 1513 will have the forged housing plus the later ring and pinion gear with locating dowels & heavier bolts.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Correct. But it is certainly not a law !

We have seen gb's with "wrong" diff in it plenty of times. These replacements came in these gb's after repairing ... broken diffs ....

In my 512TR we found a (broken) Testarossa diff ... so after the oem first diff broke, they put in a Testarossa diff ... that also broke ...

Now is a Forza upgraded diff installed with life-long guarantee ....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Nice piece of engineering!

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed ! I think you can have it now in USA via Ricambi too ...

See it as an investment imo :D

25. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Being a Canadian, I'd support Mr Newman