Testarossa flying mirror | FerrariChat

Testarossa flying mirror

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by alexbiker123, Jan 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexbiker123

alexbiker123 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016
    Hi guys,

I want to know if the flying mirror feature is that much of a big deal?

Will people pay a premium to have it or it is just cool ? Are they that rare?

I just traded one for a shelby mustang I had and I am just curious to know your opinions !

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If you had a Shelby Mustang before, The Ferrari TR is a different experience in many many ways.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Depends what your definition of "Big Deal" is. It was the first series of an iconic car and thats how they left the factory. I actually sought out a single mirror car not because of my hope of its rarity or investment potential but because of the this Car and Driver magazine someone gave me when I was 16 :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    There will always be people who will collect it for its relative difference to the 87-91 cars and I believe there were approximately 1000 cars produced with the single mirror.

The car takes some getting use the mirror is more of a hindrance than helpful. Turning left is always fun as the mirror actually obstructs your view of what might be coming. They are wonderful cars and a blast to drive.

Cheers!

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Don't lump the beautiful single lug '87s and '88s in with those ragamuffin 5 lug '88.5-'91s man! :)

Seriously though, people will tell you how theres a big plus about the flying mirror and gush how it was part of the design or whatever but it wasn't. Ferrari misunderstood an import law and put the mirror in the wrong place. The original design blueprints for the TR didn't have mirrors on them at all. What year of Shelby btw? If it was a '67 GT-500, that's my other dream car! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The 87, I own is a great car to drive and reward visibility is very good. And I like the left mirror is not convex, you can judge better.

6. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I have an 85 with the flying stuff.
    People ask a lot of question when they see it.
    And about safety, meh, I'm still alive...

7. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have an 87 and love it. The single mirror is cool, but I think that 99% of the public other than people who have a Ferrari or are shopping for one don't know anything about it. Love the msytic of the single mirror, but you can't go wrong with either. Now if I could only get that last single lug off to change my last wheel........

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I picked up an 86. Unfortunately the prior owner added a spare "flyer" on the other side. Usually more is better, but not in this case.

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Flying mirror's are the best!

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the flying mirror looks strange and when you like to turn right you not see if there is a bicycle or something else. so I my eyes it is not very usefull and I´m glad that I have a 87 with 2 mirrors.
    when the single mirror car came out some of my friends called this mirror a soup ladle :) :)

11. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I prefer the symmetry of the lower duel mirrors. That said I love the originality of the flying mirror but personally I was more attracted to the two mirrors.

12. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    the Only bad thing is parallel parking. Or always getting asked about why it only has one mirror. However when somebody comes up to you and uses the Flying mirror term or monospecchio term, I then know they are fans or at least knowledgeable enough on the TRs and then i usually let them sit in it. Its like a secret code word.
    One thing non owners don't get to experience is that little "extra" the Flying mirror's give you. They think they have the whole TR experience, but they don't. It's the flying mirror owner's delight.
    There are little triangle windows too that the other TRs don't have.. Makes it easier to see during parking lot maneuvers.

13. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    Styling is subjective and I respect different tastes. The asymmetry has a certain "tension" that makes the car IMO (the original BMW M-coupe and Land Rover Discovery tailgate are some easy examples that come to mind). Certainly, two mirrors are better for parallel parking and trips to Costco, but I didn't buy my car for that (and even with 16 more mirrors, I'm not sure if I could parallel park it any better...)

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I do believe that the very single mirror; at least in Europe, came completely decated (no cats or precats) and made more hp (like 10hp more)z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk