Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    1) Besides the nose section, also the rear corner body panels are probably made from plastic. I think it is a common practice in all cars. California owners could confirm this is the case with Ferraris too.

2) The air outlet below the body panel is an elegant solution. Its purpose is partially same as with front wheel arch air exits. To unpressurize the rear wheel arches. Visually it gives an impression double diffuser (a design concept from recent Formula 1 history) and theoretically also works as such, although the effect is marginal.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid and manya81 like this.
  2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #602 4th_gear, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    No, I'm pretty sure #1 is aluminium.

Think of it this way - we all know painted metal looks very different from painted plastic - so Ferrari would not use a different material on the rear quarters. It would look horrible. From what I have seen, Ferrari also appears to be heavily invested into aluminium fabrication. It is a core competence. The accurate shaping and fitting of aluminium panels can be fine-tuned in the later stages of hand assembly (watch a Ferrari factory video), aluminium is also repairable, plastic cannot be fiddled with. I also don't think there's much difference in cost between panels made from either material.

#2 does look interesting and here's a better view of it. It may indeed depressurize the rear wheel arch or... it may simply allow air and more exhaust sound from the muffler body to come through from the undercarriage. This would improve traction as well as the "noise". Unless this is already described somewhere we would have to wait until someone has some definitive information on it.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Area 1 and 2 are plastic. No question. I don't think it's a cost reduction issue. It's a collision replacement issue and perhaps current safety regulations.

LARRYH likes this.
  4. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes area 1 would have to be flexible plastic bumper material. Otherwise there would not be that diagonal seam from taillight to wheel opening. But area 2 does appear to be expanded metal mesh for ventilation, not a textured plastic piece.

LARRYH likes this.
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK guys, it's freezing in my garage but I popped in and lifted the car cover to check area #1 and it does feel more like plastic than aluminium when I pat it. :rolleyes: FWIW, the paintwork is very very close but does look faintly different from the panel further forward which feel more rigid when I pat it. My bad.

Area #2 on the PF, from the photos, looks just like a meshed vent or outlet as inox pointed out.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Here's another thought on Area #1.

It may also be a service issue because when I had some Capristo exhaust system and diffuser upgrades done on my Cali30, both sides of the Area#1 along with the rear bumper had to be removed as a complete single assembly. If it were aluminium, the panels would be very delicate to handle, heavier and more complicated to take off and re-install.

I imagine minor rear end mishaps are also pretty common so using plastic rear panels would lower the cost of service, just like the front bumper which is definitely plastic.

inox likes this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Plastic in these places is a good thing! Makes the car lighter and absorbs small bumps better.

8. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Front splitter is plastic - can be optioned in carbon
    Front wheel air vents are plastic - can be optioned in carbon
    Side skirts are plastic - can be optioned in carbon
    Rear vents by lights are plastic - can be optioned in carbon
    Rear bumper is plastic

The online configurator does not show all the carbon options.

andruslik and inox like this.
  9. bpolsky

bpolsky Rookie

Nov 4, 2017
    Is this build slot still available? Tried to PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    Does anyone know if the Portofino can be ordered with

11. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    Does anyone know if the Portofino can be ordered with Heated and Cooled seats ?

12. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    As of Nov. 30, the only seat option is for "Full-electric seats". In addition to the standard 8 way electric this option gives some additional adjustments, an electric steering wheel column adjustment, a driver side memory, and a "Heat function". No cooling is offered and no "design options" (although the latter is alluded to). Clearly there is more to come, but for now that is what is offered.

13. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  14. geertf60

geertf60 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    hamme - belgium
  15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
  16. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    +1
    Although I 'm not a fan of dual tone color

17. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
  18. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Finally the USA Portofino configurator is working!

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Is the rear bumper offered in Carbon If so anyone have pics ?

20. andruslik

andruslik Rookie

Aug 13, 2016
    Moscow
    Full Name:
    Andrey
    No, carbon inserts around rear lights only

Attached Files:

uhn2000, Caeruleus11 and F2003-GA like this.
  21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Anyone have any idea on first reviews and deliveries?

22. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    My west coast dealer told me that orders for their first portofino demo in the next month and delivery of their demo in May/June...

uhn2000 likes this.
  23. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    Is Ferrari dropping the F1 Fog/Rain light as a design touch?? I noticed both the new Portofino and 812 do not appear to have it. So right now only the 488 GTB & Spider, F12 & F12 Tdf ever got the F1 Fog. Too bad, I thought it was a nice F1 touch.

24. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Was in (Spezzano) next to Maranello staying with friends in Mid to Late December. There were cars like this all over the place just before Christmas in and around Maranello, Sassuolo, etc.. I was driving in from the airport to their house and the first round about off the highway there was one all disguised... more so than this one was. Was in awe.