1977 308GTB distributor nut fell inside flywheel portal | FerrariChat

1977 308GTB distributor nut fell inside flywheel portal

Discussion in '308/328' started by Neilg, Jan 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Good Evening, was performing the timing belt change and removing the front bank distributor cap when unfortunately one of the distributor nuts dropped down inside the flywheel open portal (where you can view the PM 1-4 marks, etc - was wanting to ask members what is the best course of action to get the nut extracted? The clutch is fine on the car and had no clutch replacement planned. I am very sure it dropped down inside - I previously had a rag covering this opening but unfortunately removed it when lining it up the other day to the PM-1 -4 mark. Any suggestions greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That is a super tough one because of all the metal making it hard to drop a magnet in there and disassembly would be a royal PITA to extract one nut. What you have to hope for is that the nut fell to the bottom of the bell housing. If not you can always turn the engine slowly again hoping that it fell to the bottom. If you do this remember to keep track of PM 1-4. On the assumption the nut is at the bottom you can try tying a small magnet to a string and feeding it very slowly through the thin side access port. This way your magnet can drop and run along the aluminum bell housing case without sticking to the flywheel. You may get lucky and get to the bottom to catch the lost nut. It is worth a little bit of experimenting before taking everything apart. I feel for you and wish you all the best of luck.

3. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks will get one of these on order - not being too familiar with clutches, is it a good chance it remains in the bell housing somewhere? I do not know where it could possibly travel. Just wanted to confirm there is no chance it could get into the gearbox/transmission oil pan? I am dead in the water on the timing belts change as I of course can't turn the engine over by hand until I locate this nut....

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If your timing belts are off then you can turn the engine one revolution so that it ends up where you started. If the belts are on you need to turn it two revolutions so the cams line up. Either way you are ok.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Consider using a bore scope to see if you can find it visually.

6. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks for the replies. The timing belts are both on, was afraid to turn the engine over by hand using 36mm socket on damper due to not knowing where the nut (10mm) may move to - I am going to order both a borescope and extendable magnet, apparently in contacting Advance Auto they sell both - in watching the amount of labor involved on a YouTube video by Helidoctor regarding clutch replacement I really do not want to go there, especially since the clutch is fine! Mental lapse on my part not covering the flywheel view opening - hard lesson learned....

7. 308_gt4

308_gt4 Rookie

Jun 19, 2014
    This happened to me last year. I stopped everything I was doing, did NOT rotate the engine, but instead went directly to Harbor Freight and bought every type of magnetic extension that I could find.

I used this tool: https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-2-in-1-pickup-tool-94162.html (similar to the one posted earlier). And went "fishing" I just kept sticking the tool down, wiggling it around and prayed. Finally after about 10 minutes, I was able to get it out.

Good Luck!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Great! Thanks for the pic and glad you were successful - am hoping I will be also...

9. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    I got the 10mm nut out, had to pull the bell housing out approx. 4 inches saw it sitting in the bottom of the housing. While I am in here I am thinking will do the clutch and pressure plate as they are 40 years old. Have a hang-up with the clutch pivot arm hitting the frame (left side of lower bell housing), is there a way to remove the bell housing and leave the clutch linkage pivot arm assembled while removing or do you have to remove the long bolt which holds the pivot arm to the housing? Looks like a real bear to reinstall should this have to be done upon reassembly - thanks in advance....

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Remove the pivot arm. It is easy to do just remove the pinch bolt (not just loosen it remove it) and then tap a flat head screwdriver in the grove on the arm to loosen it. It will slide right off and you will need to re-adjust the clutch free play anyways when you fit the new clutch.

11. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Nuvolari, thanks - what was confusing me is the pivot arm being connected to the spring and not sure what effect disconnecting the pivot arm had on the spring...sounds like I remove the long bolt (pinch bolt) then tap the pivot arm towards direction of engine, and it will slide off its bearing assembly, so I can remove it before pulling out the bell housing...