Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IPO1, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one would you prefer to buy today? Can only chose one.

1. Ferrari 488 (any flavor)

2. McLaren 720s

3. Lambo Performante

4. Porsche GT2RS

5. Are you crazy, none of these!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Not to speak for him, he never said the 488 sucks. Who would? He stated that it just did not do anything for him. Big difference.

2. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Have to pick the 488 for one reason only over the others: spider.
    None of the others are available as of now in spider form. For the street the spider ups the fun in ways the others can’t match.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Afonsolaw likes this.
  3. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    #28 AlgaeHater, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    I voted with my money and picked up a Performante last month, after owning a 360, 430, 430 Scud, and 458 Spider. The GT2RS wasn't an option for me as it is nearly impossible to obtain. I was seriously considering a 720S, but passed mainly due to the lacking dealer network in the PNW. The 488 wasn't really in the running, which is sad considering I'm a long-time Ferrari Tifosi (look at my FChat join date).

There's a reason why actual Performante owners are so passionate about these cars. They are truly incredible machines that somehow manage to tick ALL the boxes for owning an exotic - dramatic styling, stirring drive, straight line performance, handling, sound (screaming V10 vs muted turbo'd V8), comfort/luxury, and build quality. The steering and shifting combination in particular is RIDICULOUS when the car is in corsa mode. My Perfomante reminds me of my old Scud which remains my favorite Fcar to date - just as raw, but "modernized" and improved in every way.

Bhh, LI2782, customryder and 5 others like this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Well said.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You guys are making me drool for the Perf Spyder...

F2003-GA, Afonsolaw and Stevenb like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nope, not at all. beautiful car just not my first choice. I like them all just a matter of what I prefer at any given time which is a big difference from many on this site. I don't favor any particular brand, IMO at this level they are all phenomenal. I feel fortunate to have a choice.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  7. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    #32 AlgaeHater, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    I feel the same way. At every model generation, I just gravitated towards the best V8 supercar and not necessarily towards the "best" brand. In the past, the best cars were Ferrari by a fairly wide margin IMO:

Year 2000: Ferrari 360 - superior to 2001 996 Turbo, nothing from Lambo as Diablos were not a direct competitor
    Year 2005: Ferrari F430 - even more superior to 996 Turbo/GT3, 2004 Gallardos were junk
    Year 2008: Ferrari 430 Scuderia - laid the smack down on 2008 Gallardo Superleggera in every way possible
    Year 2010: Ferrari 458 - superior to LP560/570 in pretty much every way. Lambos were still plagued by nasty E-Gear transmission

Fast forward to 2017/2018, and the 488 is now cross-shopped with the Performante, GT2RS, GT3, GT3RS, and 720S. The "best" car is highly subjective as they are all amazing machines, but I think it's safe to say that one can no longer make the argument that the 488 is clearly the best. The competition has become incredibly fierce and has caught up and in some ways surpassed Ferrari.

F2003-GA, xfrgtr, ChrisPM and 4 others like this.
  8. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    For the same reasons as posted above I sold my 488 and bought the Performante.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afonsolaw, Stevenb and Jo Sta7 like this.
  9. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    488 :)

stavura likes this.
  10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I voted 488 because only spider on list. Love 720 but cant deal with those doors. Performante is amazing but too claustrophobic for me. No thanks to 2rs other than to flip for a profit. No matter how fast and practical, its still just a pimped out 911

real choice for me is speciale or better yet, aperta.

should put nfgt on list too. Would be near bottom for me due to v6tt. Even if only track use, I would take performante over it for the magnificent v10 last of its kind na motor.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You see..poll would be possibly more interesting, from Ferrari perspective, to say Ferrari 488 GTB vs. other...and see how the percentages shake out.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  12. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    It's a simple poll.

Four cars people would cross shop and available today (not future builds).

I actually find the results (thus far) very interesting and clearly shows how unbiased F Chat is.

F2003-GA and Lukeylikey like this.
  13. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like all of them, if I have choice, I get all 4

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #39 Lukeylikey, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    So, I voted ‘none of these’. I have a 488 and it’s great, but I would probably have a 2RS over it because of rarity along with the fact that it will be a great car. But I can’t buy one. I love (the idea of) the Performante but just never gelled with the idea of owning a Lambo and they ride unnecessarily hard in my opinion. 720 doesn’t even figure because I don’t like the look, I lost a ton on my previous Mac and although that could be justified if I loved the ownership experience significantly more than other brands, I didn’t. Ferrari and Porsche’s history means more to me and just resonates better. That’s an intangible really, but so is loving any supercar - they are all wonderfully unnecessary.

What would I buy instead? I have a Lusso coming that I’m really looking forward to because I know from my previous FF that I will find lots of occasions to use it and that V12 engine is, well, you all know - just magical. But, that car probably doesn’t count because it is not similar to any of the others listed. No, my answer is either the 812 or wait for the GTO (which won’t, of course, be called a GTO.). If I could get a .2 GT3RS that would definitely be a consideration too.

My order; GTO, 812, .2 GT3RS, GT2RS, 488, Performante and I forget the other one. :)

If the ‘none of these’ option didn’t exist, 488 still figures out of that list because I won’t buy the Lambo or the Mac and can’t buy the Porsche.

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    LOL made my day :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Even though these are valid points, I reckon that it's a bit more complicated than that. It has to do with the products' life cycles. For example when the Gallardo 560 was launched, it was arguably as good to drive as the then ageing F430 and unquestionably quicker on top of that. Then Ferrari launched the brilliant 458 and so on. The 488 is the oldest car in this group. The Version Speciale will be a more fitting competitor.

Regarding this conundrum, my heart says 488 but the allure of that N/A V10 in the Lambo is too strong... I would probably wait for the 488 "GTO" though.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Similar to the point I made, the choice changes as new models are released. Not necessarily brand specific for me. If Ferrari came out with the 488 replacement next year I think it overwhelmingly would be the favorite assuming of course they continue to improve as they have done in the past. There will be a point in time when the 720 is competing a against the 488 and Huracan replacements which will likely change things.

Porsche is an enigma they churn out pretty much the same car YoY with a couple of special versions and sell them all without issue. IMO, they make the best DD sports car in that price range without a doubt and I dont see that changing anytime soon. My garage just isnt big enough for all of them.

Shadowfax, Motorwerks and Afonsolaw like this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Totally agree the competition has dramatically improved, and that's a good thing :) (although no matter how high I rate the GT3 and GT3 RS - and I rate them high - I wouldn't put them as serious competitors to the 488).

I'm not convinced about dismissing the 488 VS for not being available today - how actually available is a GT2 RS today?

So for someone making a purchase decision today, the 488 VS is an option.
    It also depends on which car one has today - no mistery I've had my 488 GTB for more than 2 years, and that may not be my primary choice today if I were shopping to get a new car in the next six months; but now I'm definitely waiting for the 488 VS (if I change my mind in the mean time, I'll take a 720S for half the price since I'm afraid the GT2 RS will be too expensive :) )

19. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    you don't have to hate to 488 to realize that a poll pitting the 488 against others made in its home turf (i.e. sub-forum) will have more biased answers.

people in LA will prefer the Lakers and folks in Boston like the Celtics. Put the poll in Akron, the answers will be more neutral.

Coincid and xfrgtr like this.
  20. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    So basically most would buy some other car vs. a 488 today it seems.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
  22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    As it happens I have spent most of the day out in my GT3RS. A wonderful car, with a sound that is unmatched, a bullet-proof feeling to its driveline and outstanding handling - just a great, great car. Its one drawback IMO is that the ride is pretty hard, not harsh or crashy, just fairly solid. In the UK that can be a problem for swift progress because some of our quieter roads are very broken. Admittedly I have been on cold roads and with cold-ish tyres.

This evening I have just returned from an evening out and decided to take the 488 - about an hour’s driving in all. I have to say it, and I have been thinking it might be time to sell the 488 with a Lusso coming soon and an 812 probably at the turn of the year, the 488 is a brilliant car. It will be hard to sell it over the Porsche, which is also brilliant. Just don’t want too many cars around so one will have to go. But the 488 is a significantly better all-round road car than the RS. Ideal is to keep all of them but that is unrealistic.

My point is, I suppose you know which cars you really love by which cars you are prepared to let go to keep them. I’m still undecided. Without hesitation my Speciale has never been in question, it stays and all the others would go before that. But I had thought the logical thing was to lose the 488 in favour of the 812. Can I really do that yet keep the RS?

This may be a Ferrari forum, but it’s not that hard to work out why people like the 488. As a road car it’s really, really good.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I understand your comment about letting a car go. I have a GT3 coming in March, and want to get a 488 "GTO" in a couple years...but running out of garage space.
    Went through the process of which Ferrari should I let go...and came to the conclusion I just can't.
    I love them all for different reasons (F12, 16M, Speciale, Triple-yellow 458 Spider).
    Staked out a 40'x40' area in backyard and talking to a builder about building an additional 6 car garage.
    :)

F2003-GA, IPO1 and Afonsolaw like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    When I drove the RS I didn't think it was too harsh but that could have been the difference in roads. I thought it was brilliant in many ways and like most Porsche's it felt like I had driven 100x before - it was just that comfortable to drive for me. I never got that from any Ferrari but have a similar feeling with the 720.

25. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #50 IPO1, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    How's that sound though? HONESTLY, no BS, are you going to tell me 720 sounds amazing? I know it doesn't sound better than any NA engine, but I think you said you owned a 488. Tell us which sounds better 720 or 488 (try and be objective and not wearing your 720 rose glasses)?