Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I have zero interest in shields on a standard car. In better times only race and special cars did have them...

Ghibli Cup #11 likes this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I guess I'm lucky insofar as I don't care what you think then. :)

3. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Well I have no problem that you prefer shields on your cars. You are a member of a great majority nowadays :)

4. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't want you to think I don't appreciate the old purist view, because I do. Shields were originally a race car thing, and I get that. But since the 550, I think they look very nice with the right colors.

I don't think the V8's need them, so my 360 doesn't have them. But I thought my 456M was very impressive looking with the shields and Barchetta wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Merlin Auto Group, killer58 and 500tr like this.
  5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    G. Pepper likes this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    500tr likes this.
  7. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    G. Pepper likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That 360 is a class act.

500tr likes this.
  9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    TdF blue....with shields. Didn't really have a choice whether there were shields or not. Manuals are hard to come by and to find it in TdF with Daytona seats, well, shields or no shields, there you have it.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Very compelling car. I would go to some kind of Ferrari optional wheels, but the car has an aura.

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The pic had the aftermarket wheels. I now have the stock wheels on the car

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    There are several cars newly on the market. Most are GTA's. Price ranges from 48,000 to 115,000 Dollars. It varies by the day with the exchange rate for the European cars. I'm not a shield kind of guy either but I do understand most people prefer them.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Photos come up fine in Edge and link works fine. Your computer is over thinking it.

No shields on mine and I like it better that way. None on my old Daytona, either.

14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    V12's before the 550 didn't have shields from the factory, correct? For me, personally, something is missing on V12's after the 550 if they don't have shields. I found a very nice 612 last fall that had everything I was looking for but no shields. I just couldn't get past that. Also, cars tend to choose their own color for me. I think the 308 GTS is best in silver and black due to the bumpers and t-top being black and the wheels being silver. The 456M had to be RC, but that doesn't work on the 612 for me, I think because it needs a metallic paint to bring out the cove. Rosso Fiorano or Rosso Maranello seems to work best to my eyes. Example below.

Two of my three browsers have Adblock plus. Some sites don't work perfectly with that. Worth the tradeoff for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This is the 612 I'm looking for. Yellow calipers to match the shields. Not wild about the Crema interior, though. Needs to be tan.

Good thing everyone here has different taste, or we would all be after the same car! :)

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Affirmative, one model of the 348 (Competizione) and the 5.2 F355 had them first on regular production Ferraris, 550 next after the Schedoni options were introduced in the 97/98 timeframe. I am highly ambivalent about shields on GTs and 2+2s, but everybody has different tastes. I surely would not have turned down a Ferrari I otherwise liked because of shields.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I would also add this anecdote: In all the five plus years I owned a Rosso Corsa 456M with shields, the most memorable people who ask if they could photograph it did shield closeups. With cameras, not phones.

For some of us, the historical racing mystique embodied by the shields is magical. Even if it has a silly element to it on a sedate 2+2 cruiser with an automatic. :)

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't really see shields as a deal breaker either way. My car has shields but if it didn't I would have gladly bought it anyway and enjoyed it just as much. I can certainly appreciate the clean look w/o shields. The shields do seem to say "boy racer" and on a 2+2 GT car seem near to over the top. The folks who know what a Ferrari is don't need the shields to recognize one and the ones who don't usually ask what the car is even looking at the rear of the car with the Ferrari badge.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In the 43 years I have owned Ferraris, nobody photographing them has cared about shields. Good thing, too, since none of them had shields. Seems they were more interested in the lines of the car.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  19. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    So here's a question that's been bugging me. What's to keep me from buying a 456M GTA for 32k, which is on sale right now in Illinois,( Dark blue over Tan) and converting it to a manual? I know, it's a lot of work for little gain, but is it that difficult/expensive.? What would be the considerations?

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I like the way they look, that is enough. And I'm no boy racer, I'm 60 years old. Plus, if I make it to July 4th without a ticket, it will be twenty years since I've gotten one.

Some opinions you should keep to yourself, understand?

21. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm sure it could be done if you had all the donor parts although much like trying to sell a 355 or 360 that started out as an F1 and was converted into a manual, it'll be a tough sell if you ever wanted to unload it. Is the 456 you speak of the one at the Acura dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    because it is beyond a lot of work. not the same as converting the other cars which in most cases have the same transmissions.

i have already looked into it.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Affirmative on the opinions.

Jay- There were very large changes made to put the GM modified transaxle into the 456, unlike the F1 cars, where the transaxles were the same and shifter and clutch mechanisms bolted on to the same transaxle. The 456 GT has a different torque tube and you would probably need to buy the entire manual transaxle, pedal set, shifter, rear removable cross-member, etc to make the shift. Can it be done, sure, with a 456 GT donor car and enough money. Seems like there are a couple on the market right now.

24. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Sounds like it would be just as expensive to buy a GT in the first place?

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well thats one opinion. I guess next time I post my opinion I will be sure to check with you first to see if it meets your approval.