360 Very High Oil Temp | FerrariChat

360 Very High Oil Temp

Discussion in '360/430' started by scottaz76, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scottaz76

scottaz76 Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Today I replaced the battery in my 2001 360. I took it to the gas station to fill it up and while driving home I received a high oil temp warning. The gage was maxed out at 280 degrees. When I got home I noticed there was a whistling sound coming out of the engine compartment. I turned off the engine to let it cool and could hear boiling sounds. Once the cars temp went down to 240 the whistling stopped. My guess is the whistling was due to the oil temp, similar to that of a teapot releasing steam. Has anyone else had this issue and know the root cause.

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Your car sounds like it was overheating something fierce! Boiling? Umm Check your thermostat is working and your water pump is pumping. Oil temp only and not water temp high?

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Any visible or fluid level loss?

4. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree with Curt. Coolant will gurgle and hiss. Oil will smoke. It sounds like an engine coolant problem and faulty collateral temp gauge at a minimum. Check fluid level and then move on to water pump, thermostat, etc. qchange your oil while at it as you might have cooked it. Hopefully you caught it early enough and there isn't any engine damage.

5. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    So - oil temp was pegged...what was the water temp doing?????

If water temp was not high, you may have a bad oil temp sender or gauge.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I thought the same thing.... but the hissing sound reported made me nervous!

I wonder.. did the OP read the Water gauge by mistake and think it was the oil? Water gauge is all the way on the left....

7. scottaz76

scottaz76 Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I completely misread the gages. It was my water temp gage, not oil gage. Now the hissing and boiling sounds make more sense. Thoughts on what would cause this and what to check?

8. scottaz76

scottaz76 Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I also want to note that the oil temp and pressure were normal. I also didn’t see any fluid leaks on the ground.

9. scottaz76

scottaz76 Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One more update. I just checked my coolent level and it was barely visible. The manual says it should be 1.5 inches from the top. I am going to fill it up and see if the issue persists.

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The coolant cap is probably shot. If the coolant is not under pressure, the boiling temperature decreases.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oil temp is OK but water temperature is full pegged? I would still look at the water temp sending unit.

I also agree to replace the radiator cap. They actually do lose their ability to hold pressure over time.

Start with the simple things first then work up.

12. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Hi mate make shure the coolant is clear n green stick your finger in there when it’s cold make shure no oily slime deposit , if so possibly heat exchanger fail (worst case)my cars heat exchanger failed at 79,000klms

13. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Consider thermostat being stuck closed as a possible cause

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Was the coolant changed recently? If so did they properly bleed the system? They can vapor lock at the outlet from the engine and there is a bleed screw there. So many possabilities

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Three things id check personally:
    1) replace the cap on the reservoir as above is likely GONE.( the seem to last a couple years at best) What happens: can't maintain pressure on coolant system and then car overheats as a result. Also accounts for the hissing. Replace it with a new one.
    2) thermostat could be stuck (You'll see it overheat - I'd use one of those IR heat sensors to watch the engine heat up to middle of gauge a and correlate the gauge to engine heat)
    3) Water pump still turning? Leaking?
    4) If you turn the 10mm bolt on top of the thermostat housing does fluid come out?

f355spider and Skidkid like this.