Euro Dino Front indicator lights (Mathias please help?) | FerrariChat

Euro Dino Front indicator lights (Mathias please help?)

Discussion in '206/246' started by premieram, Jan 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    All (and particularly Mathias):

I am reworking the front end of my Dino to look like a European spec car. This means changing the front indicator lights from the recessed rectangles to the trapezoidal flash lenses ( yes I understand the metal work involved ). From the various photos, it appears like there are two shapes of these lenses. One is like the car below from Mathias’ book (Which has a flat vertical inside edge):

While the others appear to have an angled inside edge (like the photo of the replacement lens in the package).

Did they produce two different lenses or is this just optical because of the photos? I would really like to find the one with the flat vertical edge if did they produce two different lenses or is this just optical because of the photos? I would really like to find the one with the flat vertical edge if it exists.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Joe

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Optical illusion.....

Best Peter

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    There has only ever been one light. What you see in the photos is as Peter said an optical illusion

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Love the change to European. You can save the pieces you cut out, and can always
    go back to original if required.

Regards, Alberto

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  6. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Thanks everyone. I will more about the car in the future. Placement of these is crucial. I have seen them look so right and look like kit cars on others. I want to create the “optical illusion” that is in many photos :)

I am just going to have my body shop (which is one of the best in the world), go off of the pictures. Any placement/alignment advise by those that have made the conversion is very welcome.

Joe

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am not a fan of changing the original configuration but if you are bent on doing it I would try and find a euro Dino you can take measurements from rather than just from pictures. Sheet metal work and a paint job aren't cheap so you want to get it right the first time.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree with this. You really need to make super accurate templates by using the lower hood shut-lines and headlamp recess. I wouldn’t just trust a body shop no matter how good they are. Also definitively keep the original sheet metal pressings. Also, really ask yourself if you’ll be happy with a conversion vs selling yours and just buying a Euro spec Dino.

Freeman

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Joe, sent you a pm.

Regards, Alberto

10. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    All:

This is been an interesting process. I’m absolutely convinced that the solution is optical based on both the Dino body curving to the side in the angle of the hood coming front to back. I have seen this conversion done poorly and having it right from every angle is key to making this look correct. Thank you for everybody’s help. I will post pictures when the car is complete.

JTS

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They are not very good when I bought them, castings off of an original part subject to shrinking in cast.
    I had this done and each one will be custom no matter what car you pattern it off of. In fact, since the bracket and housing may be reproductions and slightly different sized, you should probably get the housing/bracket before cutting any metal

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    most items today are reproduction, the chances of finding OEM parts would be extremely rare.

I had this issue with a replacement water pump but the quality of the product was good although not 100%. Either that or no pump!

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Fibreglass is the solution for the housing, no distortion or shrinkage. As far as the sheetmetal, easy.

Believe me, I know, as many others do :)

Regards, Alberto

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I do have a spare set of the Shaughnessy reproduction housings, I got through Garry who apparently got the lot and sold them.

In any case, definitely buy your housings before doing any metal work as you can not count on any being a standard size