Best Way to Sell a 308 QV? | FerrariChat

Best Way to Sell a 308 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by JazzyJay, Jan 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I am getting ready to sell my '84 QV here in CT (and in the market for a 360 spider). I have some interest locally but also wanted to see what kind of market there is nationally.

Has anyone had experience with any of the major selling platforms? eBay? Hemmings? Others? I don't look forward to dealing with curious "outsiders", but figure there must be some good advice here on F-Chat regarding selling a Ferrari in the northeast.

Suggestions welcome!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    My advice is don't sell it until my friend pays me back the $100K+ she owes me! :)

3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Do you know what meaning of your registration ? ;)

4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    It is the brand name of one of my company's products.

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I would shoot for Bring a Trailer.

Thats who I used for my 308.

PM me if you want to chat about it, I'm in New Fairfield.

abilliet likes this.
  6. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No doubt you will get many opinions, but if you're selling a make/model that changes hands frequently enough that you have a good handle on its market value, then Hemmings seems an easy, low cost, low stress way to reach knowledgeable buyers. If you'd like to sell it faster and enjoy thrills and risks, then auction. I enjoy Bring a Trailer's website, but to me it seems a better place to buy than to sell, unless it's a P-car, but that's just my opinion.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Selling price will depends on the following:
    1)Mileage
    2)Engine condition
    3)Overall Exterior and Interior conditions
    4)Service history
    5)Books, Manuals, and tools
    6)and where and who’s selling it

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Was going to suggest possibly calling the gentleman from yellow compass, but they seem to have vanished from F -chat. Wonder what’s up with that?

9. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    They're still here - he commented on the post regarding a White TR yesterday.

All jokes aside this is of interest to me too as I'm looking to buy a 308 QV in about 12 months. One came up at Mecum this week and was passed in at $72K - but I noticed that about 50% of the Ferraris were passed in - is auction "not a good place" to buy a Ferrari? What happens regarding Pre-Purchase Inspections? Are you pretty much limited to looking it over visually if you happen to be at the auction personally? Or do sellers try to get a reputable PPI themselves and make it available? I've never been to a US auction and I'm not from the US so much of this is all new to me.

I guess I'm looking for good places to buy a Ferrari, which are probably also the good places to sell one.

10. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I think the problem with auctions is that not all cars have a complete service record. They may be detailed perfectly, and you can see the mileage, but I really don’t know how much history you have access to. Service history is less important for a Camaro than it is for a Ferrari.

I’m in the market for a 360 spider and it never really occurred to me to go to an auction. I want to talk with the owner or the dealer in person, drive the car, touch it, smell it, and get a feel for it. I don’t think that’s possible at an auction.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    If you don't want to deal with outsiders or the uninitiated, then Rob mentioned starting auctions here through FChat, might be a good candidate for that as its the kind of car you need to know about to want.

Very nice color

abilliet likes this.
  12. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Thanks. Good idea, but not sure how the auction would be structured.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Theres a thread, its here somewhere, in main discussion I think. I'll try to look for it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    carguyjohn350 likes this.
  15. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  16. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Yep - phones are convenient, but annoying at the same time.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  17. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    FYI there is an ‘84 GTS at Barrett Jackson right now. I’m not sure when it will go on the podium, but I will be watching as it is very similar to my ‘85. You might want to watch for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Depends on the auction, and the Ferrari. Meaning - an auction is as good (or bad) for a Ferrari, as it is a Porsche, Jaguar, Pantera, Corvette, etc. Some cars are great, some aren't. Given that there's a buyer's premium, it's certainly a more expensive way to purchase a car.

Put it this way: if it's a rather rare Ferrari, or a more common model that is in unbelievably perfect new condition - then that auction may be one of the few places the car is even OFFERED for sale. But a standard, cared-for condition 328 GTS with 40K miles? No, I wouldn't buy that at an auction house. There are too many available from other sellers, both dealer and private that will allow for a true PPI.

Some people make arrangements to have a car inspected by a pro on-site at the auction, but be aware they aren't going to be putting the car up on a lift or doing a compression test. So... an actual professional will pick up more visually than the average buyer, and some will do research on the specific car offered (phone calls, check records, etc - all for a fee). But at the auction, it's still going to be a visual inspection. And there's always potentially something that you cannot see.

Once it's on the auction block - what you see is what you're buying, with no promises nor guarantees. You bid, you win - it's your car, so be prepared for either a stellar show car or a hidden electrical problem.