CRAP!!!! I think I bought the wrong cats!!! | FerrariChat

CRAP!!!! I think I bought the wrong cats!!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Jan 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I got these for a decent deal on ebay..actually bought the cats and exhaust from the same guy, then he mailed me an gave me a BS story about it being stolen, but I think it was a lie because the exhaust went for dirt cheap...anyway, I finally got the cats after 2 weeks and there is NO HOLES for the downstream O2 sensor. What is this? I'm guessing this isn't going to be usable for my application..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    BTW, my car is a '99, which does not have pre-cats, I'm guessing this is where the issue is going to lie.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Part numbers should be on the cats.

4. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I think the early F355 had cats with only one O2 sensor...

f355spider likes this.
  5. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Are they the same otherwise? If so just bring them to a muffler shop and have some bungs welded in.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Return them through Ebay. As a buyer, you have a LOT of power and the right to return if the auction was misrepresented. After you get your money, leave him negative feedback.
    If you did this transaction outside of Ebay, then all bets are off.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It was through ebay...funny thing is, I offered him $500 for the cats and exhaust and he declined it. I won the auction and it went for less. The only info given in the auction was "great condition", but when I emailed him asking for specifics he said they were from a 2004 and had 10k on them, I didn't think to ask if they were from a euro-spec car or whatever. For the price I got them for, I'm not even sure if it would be worth the hassle of returning them. I ended up with another exhaust for roughly the same price and I not even sure if I am going to use it or not.

The muffler shop is a definite possibility if it isn't ridiculously expensive. The whole back to stock swap is turning out to be a bit more trouble than I expected....

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Don't tell them what it's for and they shouldn't charge a lot. If you tell them what it's for the Ferrari tax will triple the price. You can even buy the bungs and just bring them to the shop. If you really want to make it easy drill the hole yourself.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    A lot has to be considered before going that route. The location of the bung has to avoid hitting the catalyst core...also the location has to clear the car when installed...I noticed one of the existing bungs has fresh weld on it, like it was recently repaired? Not a good sign...

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Not a weld, that' some type of fabric/soundproofing or something. From looking at the diagram, it looks like those flat spots in front of the thermocouplers is where the bung is "supposed" to be so I doubt there is any issue with the catalyst material itself..

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/360-group/360-modena/exhaust-system.html

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you got them inexpensively enough, then may be worth the risk to add the bungs and see you can get them to work.

12. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Yea I would weld the bung in the pipe near the thermocouple connection. This way you avoid the shield and you could drill it yourself.

13. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good lord. So what you are saying is "once the seller makes you whole be sure you leave him a bad review ~ just because you can" Is this what you truly advise? You would not by chance be one of those Google or Yelp reviewers would you be? Why wouldn't someone instead suggest to try to make things better - not worse? If the seller (who did not actually misrepresent these) returned the money in good faith why would you then turn around & give him or her a bad feedback? Think about that. Who is the actual problem in that scenario?

If the seller makes you the buyer whole (even though it was the lack of initial research on the buyers part) DO NOT leave that person a bad review. Sheezzz. Talk about using a review as a weapon. This is why on-line business reviews are bogus.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  15. blueTT

blueTT Rookie

May 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Winston

They look like the later model 360 cats. The upstream O2 sensor is on the exhaust manifold and the downstream O2 sensors are between the 2nd and 3rd cats just like in your picture. There is also a temperature sensor downstream of the 3 cat. These cars have a total of 6 cats, 3 on each side.

f355spider likes this.
  16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not at all what I am saying (please do not make such wild assumptions and leaps of faith!) What I AM saying is if the seller is misrepresenting the product (lying) then it is your duty to protect the next buyer, by giving them a negative review. Just "making you whole" does not make the situation good. Without a negative review, you are allowing this seller to prey upon the next unsuspecting buyer. Now if they entire problem is a simple misunderstanding and the seller didn't exactly know what he had (cats are for a different model or different year), then yes, let it go, and simply leave no feedback (that could possibly be the case here, but the OP has said he felt the seller has been lying to him about other aspects of this transaction)

Example: I bought some cologne on Ebay that was claimed to be authentic. The price was very good, but not unbelievable. I asked the seller to confirm it was authentic, and he/she confirmed. Once it arrived, it was obviously counterfeit. I immediately requested a refund, and submitted pictures of the obvious differences in the packaging, as well as it smelled completely wrong. The seller refunded my money immediately, no questions asked, and didn't even request the product back. Did I leave him negative feedback? You bet I did, to protect other buyers from this fraudulent seller who had dozens of active auctions going on Ebay. The feedback system is there to protect us all from the liars and cheaters.

I have been active seller on Ebay the past several years and have NEVER had negative feedback...I currently hover around 1500 positive feedbacks from my buyers. The key is lots of pictures, and accurate descriptions. In the odd case when something goes south (delayed delivery, lost delivery or the rare occasion where someone is unhappy with the quality of the product), I always make my buyers MORE than whole. I will not only replace the product, but will refund part of their purchase price as a "sorry for the trouble". And if it shows up a bit later (usually does) I just tell them to keep it, no problem. I rack it up as a cost of doing business.

Flea7 likes this.
  17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have no proof that the seller lied about anything, nor do I have enough vested interest in the process to contribute any more time, I just thought it was interesting how the guy wouldn't accept an offer of $500, then $600 for the cats an exhaust together, and when the whole set went for $350 shipped, the exhaust (which I won for $.99 plus $165 shipping) was suddenly "stolen". As far as the cats go, I've been taking responsibility the entire time. I ended up getting a 3k mile exhaust for around $200...

I have checked detroit craigslist a few times to see if it ends up there though ;-)

That's interesting, even the upstream bungs are in a different spot.

Yeah, I should have verified that these would work for a '99..

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I have cats off 1999

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't leave ANY feedback if the seller resolves the issue to my satisfaction.

Michael B likes this.
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Selling them? I think I am going to go the modification route on these, but if there is any other issues I may need some...

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    See my post #16. I'd do the same....the difference is if the seller is lying or misrepresenting the item. Even if made "whole" again, the deception needs to be made public to protect other Ebay buyers...that is the reason for the feedback system. If one is silent, they are allowing the deception to continue.

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Welp, I think I might be out of luck....after looking at the setup (diagram was not much help), and correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the bung that is already there is the DOWNSTREAM sensor. it is in between 2 pieces of core inside the cat itself, which means that on the 2000-newer, the upstream sensor if most likely in the exhaust manifold, before the precat. If anyone has any pics of that setup, I would appreciate it.

So even welding another bunghole (hehehe) in the cat, I think it would probably confuse the system and throw me into CE-hell land for sure. If anyone has any other ideas...otherwise they'll be back on ebay.

23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    btw, I did finally find the part numbers, VERY lightly stamped, 181966 and 181967. I don't think I will be able to do anything with them as I would venture to guess that the original cats for the 99 had one complete core, rather than 2 pieces.

Beyond that , I'm almost wondering if my "sport cats" are actually test pipes....When I flick the OEM cats with my finger, it's a very solid "thud", and when I flick the cats currently on the car, it's a hollow-sounding "ting", which would explain a lot about the unpleasantness of the car when driving..

24. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    they look correct, only the 99's have 2 bungs, adding the bungs is not hard to do.

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That was the original plan, but the issue is that there are 2 separate cores in these cats, and I'm not sure how the 99 cats are configured...definitely don't want to cause a CEL when going BACK to stock.