Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IPO1, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one would you prefer to buy today? Can only chose one.

1. Ferrari 488 (any flavor)

2. McLaren 720s

3. Lambo Performante

4. Porsche GT2RS

5. Are you crazy, none of these!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    That is a quote from Gh21631. He tried to walk it back on his later post.

2. f12luke

f12luke Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Luke Tarbuck
    If you didn't tick the 488 option, get off this forum!

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Sorry, dont understand the point of your post.
    Where else can you really drive and appreciate the performance without getting arrested or worse? Don't get me wrong I love driving wherever I can but it is not the same as tracking. If you are old and tired and just want the look and sound (not calling anyone in particular out) then that's OK to but I am not there yet.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No sir - I dont "walk back". I was very clear, perhaps you need to work on your comprehension vs. the poetry. :) Go back a reread my posts if you want to scrutinize what I said. If you need help understanding, I will gladly walk you through.

5. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    I think the best cars are the cars that excite you on the track but also still excite you while driving the speed limit. If it doesn't do both then either you better spend a lot of time on the track (which most of us don't) or you will be sorely disappointed..

Coincid and italiafan like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I just got my 3rd 458 variant, a Spider. It's all jiggly and wobbly so clearly not a track car. But I get SO much more excitement out of this car than any I've ever had before, incl the Speciale.

So yes, it's certainly possible to enjoy to the fullest on the street for me!

Cheers.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s bad enough there are comparison threads for 300k plus cars that 99.9% Of the public would die to get a ride in one let alone own one but now we are discussing whether people can really “enjoy” their cars if they don’t track them.

F2003-GA and dustman like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Keep things in context, no one said they don't enjoy their cars if not tracking. There was that whole diatribe about excitement, blah blah....

Keep it relative. I enjoy washing my cars, looking at them, driving them, talking about them, etc. We are all so passionate which is why we are on this forum expressing our opinions.

To your point we are fortunate to have these experiences.

Don't get caught up in certain peoples nonsensical responses, nothing but noise.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's definitely a very good point, a spider is not intended for track use and many will be excited by one.
    Different people enjoy and value different things, that builds some diversity in the world... it would probably be far more boring otherwise.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Very true the 458 spider is not a track car and I enjoy it more than my old Scuderia. Sometimes I miss my scud but I would not trade it for the 458 spider. The scud is a car I want to drive for 20 min at most the 458 spider is one you want to drive all day. And honestly the 458 spider is more exciting due in large part to the top being down.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Other than the wind buffeting you, the sun burning you and the exhaust gases killing you, what's so great about it? :D

stavura, dustman and Afonsolaw like this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Funny how some absolutely love top down motoring while others dislike it intensely. Spider( convertible) invariably does compromise performance due to the extra weight and less rigid chassis.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I could throw a dufflebag in the front of my 458 Spider, put the top down, and drive across the US on secondary roads only and take weeks doing it...nirvana.
    (Weather permitting of course)

Ash Patel and dustman like this.
  14. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am not a spider guy but a lot of people are. I enjoy my cars on the street. I have been on the track and did Ferrari's DE at COTA plus many other track schools.
    IMO it's not necessary to drive them on the track to enjoy them. My RS is fun to drive at mostly legal street speeds and is the rawest car I own.

italiafan and Coincid like this.
  15. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Some prefer spiders for the sun, sound and swoosh factor that hardtops lack despite the minor losses in performance (and the possible skin cancer!)
    That is why compared to the 720s, GT2RS and Performante I would still take the 488 spider any day as a street car.
    Others obviously have different priorities and that is fine!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

anishka likes this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Robb Report names the Performante performance car of the year. 720S is the runner up.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That doesn't surprise me. 720s is (at best) the bridesmaid, but never the bride :)

18. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Lol!

Coincid likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FWIW the Grand Tour guys named Performante their fav sports car, EP7.

Also, Performante spider spec sheet for ordering is live this week!

Stevenb, maserati_ferrari and Coincid like this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Performante handily beat the 458 Speciale in the drag race during that Grand Tour episode. Hammond and Clarkson gushed over the Performante.

maserati_ferrari likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    They really should have used a 488 to be fair but the show is pure entertainment.

I was surprised the Perf beat the 720 so soundly around their track though.

maserati_ferrari likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To be nasty I'd say the recent McLaren typically struggle to deliver more than straight-line performance, but to be fair if the 720S had its standard tyres (PZero) they are probably no match for the Lambo's (PZero Corsa); and on a track the tyres make a huge difference.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Mclaren specifically equips the 720S with P Zeros. Performante supplies the Corsas. That is no excuse for Mclaren's poorer track times. Why is it a surprise that the Performante, with AWD, ALA and a faster 0-60 MPH time, would not be quicker around the track. There is only one car that has beaten the Performante at Nurburgring.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Grand Tour Track Times-

1. Aston Martin Vulcan - 1:15.2
    2. Performante - 1:16.8
    3. 650S- 1:17.9
    4. 720S- 1:17.9

Down the list-
    Porsche GT3RS- 1:20.4

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's very strange that the 720S, with a lot more power and (hopefully) improved dynamics, would only match the 650S time on any track.
    A 675LT is far faster than a 650S, and the 720S should at least match it - a 488 GTB has about the same track times as a 675LT, and the 720S is faster. Of course each track is different and results may vary, but not to such extent I guess.