Scud Ing Swiss Smart F1 Relay Placement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Scud Ing Swiss Smart F1 Relay Placement

Discussion in '360/430' started by klointheridge, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Which pin is it for the f430 one or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Thanks Dan, that helps.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Dan, I went to their site as you suggested and WoW! I don't have an F1 currently and I am on the fence of getting another 3 pedal or going for a 2 pedal 360 but based on the solutions they are providing I would certainly feel much more comfortable with an F1.

Thanks for sharing and its a shame that your post was deleted, but that doesn't stop us from asking you and quoting you to spread the word :)

Ciao

whatheheck likes this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is a relay; Read switch. It ONLY turns on and off the pump. It does not change system pressures or any other part of the shifting system or software. There is no way for the pump relay to change the actual shift times or responsiveness. It is like saying that a new light switch made your lights use less power. If you perceive a change it is purely because of your expectation, not reality.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You will have to remove your OE relay to check to be sure you order the one that matches your car.
    That's what I did as I want to make sure I order the right one.

Dan

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    The biggest benefit of this is you are going from a mechanical relay to a electronic relay with the added benefit of diagnostics. System pressure can not be raised overall. However, with the elect. relay activating the pump more often, you will maintain system pressure over a longer period, which may give the impression of improved/faster shifting since the pressures are maintaned longer, not because its creating a higher pressure value.

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I don't feel that shifting improved but I am very happy to have the improved relay although I have removed the control box as I dont need a lot of extra lights flashing and beeping everytime I drive the car

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I see the logic but I am not sure I agree with your assessment. The relay doesn't monitor the system pressure so it only gets an on or off command from the system. Since the system that checks pressure is unchanged there is no difference in the frequency of on/off cycles. As Richard noted, the real win is reliability of the relay and it doesn't get stuck on destroying a pump.

9. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My 2006 is a type 1, 4 pin. You can download reference table on the website to check it and compare with your own relay.

10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    This was taken from Scud Ing's site describing the functionality of the unit. Perhaps I interpreted it wrong, but my take away is the pump run time is optimized to keep the system pressure at the optimal

Incomparable with a classical electromagnetic relay simply operated by the TCU, the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU will efficiently optimize the pump cycles thanks to its superfast response times and to our advanced algorithm which anticipates the hydraulic pressure needs. We've seen improvements where the pump run time decreased from 6 secs to 2.5 secs per cycle which as result allowed faster gear shifts! As you can read in the testimonials below, many owners witnessed already that it totally changed the car because right after the installation of the ECU, it shifted much smoother at low rpm and crispier at high rpm! This is especially the case on rear-engined cars. Even if this improvement isn't always felt directly by the driver, it's there and the hydraulic system will run as best as possible with our ECU (at the condition that the robotized manual transmission, hydraulics and clutch are in perfect condition as well as all transmission/clutch settings).

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have respect for them (they are very knowledgeable) but I am not convinced that the pressure sags that much between activations of the pump. Even if they anticipate based on your driving style to preempt the on/off cycle, it won't have a significant impact on shift times. Shorter run times probably improves pump life and reduces heat loading on the pump improving pump efficiency. In general it does a lot of good things. Interestingly: In this case he used anecdotal evidence and not quantitative evidence. He usually has quantitative values so that makes me skeptical as well. I am not saying it is bad kit; I like it and have seriously thought about buying one. I just don't think it has impact on shifting.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Yep I would concur with that but you should buy it anyway as it will make your F1 pump last longer, mine already went last Summer on my 430 Spider

Skidkid and whatheheck like this.
  13. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My pic above is from my 360

cavlino likes this.
  14. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    So what your telling me is I should get this regardless of the fact that it really doesn't do anything for shift speed. I have no problem with that being it is just a relay after all. I mean if it helps prolong the life of the pump it's worth it. I've read the threads and everything on the website and it seems like a pretty ingenious piece of electronics like most of the stuff on stefvan's site. So buy it?

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes and that would be my position as well.

16. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Are you all buying the Basic or Advance?

17. mikevf430

mikevf430 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have basic , works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have the advanced. No regrets.

19. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    Which one for the scud?

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Log in to his website and it will tell you which part you need for your Scud.

Sorry I cant provide a link. Moderators may think we're promoting a non board sponsor vendor.

21. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I installed this and I like it I guess - happy with a solid state solution where one can be had. Not really sure if my shifting is different, but it sure did add a lot more beeps to a car that already beeps a lot! I have to look up if there is a way to disable the noises. Probably is. And I may just pack the remote unit behind the seat with the actual ECU...the wire is only long enough to get it to the seat.

22. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I think I need to check this out for the 16M. Anyone have anything bad to say or all good?

23. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Check out the other thread about user experience in this forum. First page...