UNBELIEVABLE ! | FerrariChat

UNBELIEVABLE !

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by spicedriver, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Really unfortunate. The more so in that it took 38 minutes to announce that it was a false alarm.

This is not going to help Ige's re-election effort!

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My wife lives on our farm on the Big Island, and I was on the phone with her during this event. Later in the day we talked about the thought of finding yourself with 12 minutes to live. She made a cup of tea and sat out on the Lanai looking towards Maui.

Kaivball likes this.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I never received an alert on my phone, so I slept through it all.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I've seen enough false alerts to not trust these dummies.

If there ever was a real attack, they probably wouldn't know about it.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I agree.........happened in 1941.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It was horrible. We packed 14 days worth of food and water into coolers and crammed into our only interior space. A tiny full bath. Daughter was crying and didn't want to die. It looks like no one is going to be fired for this...unbelievable!

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Kevin,
    If a nuke was headed to Oahu, the whole island would be vaporized. My wife's thought was, do I want to live thru this, and if I do..... how long before an even worst death by radiation.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I live on the opposite side of Oahu from Waikiki, Honolulu, Pearl Harbor and Hickam AFB. Between my home and those targets is the Koolau mountain range that is 3,000 feet tall. I thought this might help us survive....No? I had envisioned an impact, earthquake type event and seeing a great mushroom cloud on the other side with the wind sucking in from the ocean filling in the low pressure zone created by the lift of hot gasses and debris.... bringing intense winds from the East. This would be clean air but then the fallout! If we have normal trade wind conditions I think it "could" be minimal. Of course that day it was Kona winds which only occur 5-7% of the time so that would bring the fallout right on us!

Am I underestimating the power of the nuke?

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

With all due respect I think you are underestimating the quality of life afterwards. With a child you would naturally want to try to save them ........but for what. My wife just said, I was going to watch for the flash and wait for the **** storm. She has always been very tough that way.

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If I received the alert and was awake, I'd just sit back and wait for it to happen. You are right about the quality of life. I wouldn't want to live in a post-nuclear world as everything around us would be toxic. If we didn't die, we would have to deal with radiation burns, sickness... And then we would have to figure out how to get food/water that is safe. Wither away, die in pain or be vaporized. I'd want to be vaporized.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That's you guys. I am fighting and doing what I can!

C50 likes this.
  12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

You gotta do what you gotta do. If I was there with my granddaughters I'm sure my perspective would change drastically.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Amazingly, Hawaii has no missile defense system, and would have to rely on interceptors from Alaska, or California. The facility on Kauai is only for testing purposes. There has been talk for many years of establishing an onshore missile defense system, but to date there is none in place. Of course the leftists (of which there are many in Hawaii) are against the idea. Ironically, Japan, and S. Korea will be better protected than Hawaii (using US made systems).

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks like I have a 50% chance of 3rd degree burns with a device that is surface impacted and is not larger than 5 megatons.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Anything larger that is burst at altitude and we are going to have way less of a chance.

Got this sent to me today..

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Kevin,
    Thanks for that. I sent to my wife this morning and she just called me laughing her ass off.

16. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I have spent a bit of time at PMRF Kauai, they can deploy and have done so in the past defense THAAD missile systems there to defend.. and there may be such a system there now we don't know that.
    Since there is an excellent tracking system there, even worse the alert went out...

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

What they need is AEGIS Onshore. I am sure there is no operational system on Kauai in place now, but it is being talked about. One of the Destroyers at Pearl could possibly intercept a long range missile.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/28/hawaii-missile-false-alarm-calls-better-defense.aspx