21000 miles minor wear on rotors 458 | FerrariChat

21000 miles minor wear on rotors 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JP12345678, Jan 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP12345678

JP12345678 Rookie

Dec 19, 2017
    Anyone experience this on a non tracked car, or is this a clear sign it is tracked? Also does that wear affect my pad life? Will the rotors eventually have to be replaced - if so can you guess how long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Most of us ,I believe ,have non tracked cars. My understanding is carbon rotors last a long time if u don’t need to repeatedly brake excessively (on the track). They burn off in high temp repeated heat cycles and started to wear like steel ones. If ur car is tracked I don’t think the rotors will last 21k miles. I am not sure about pad life but they are nowhere as expensive to replace as rotors. I am no brake expert tho, but on my 458 and F430, both under or around 10k miles, the rotors have virtually no wear

Sargepug likes this.
  3. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Is there a picture or anything showing the wear in question?

Melvok likes this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You can’t tell from observation, unless the rotors suffered damage. CCM rotor material vaporizes, so the way to tell wear is to weigh them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That's what I learnt too ... or extensive wear which really shows.

There was a terrible thread about it by our Portugese member Nuno here ..... lets ask him -> AlfistaPortoghese

6. JP12345678

JP12345678 Rookie

Dec 19, 2017
    Ferrari did a PPI and there was slight wear on the rotors. He said it was very minor but based on miles it shouldn’t be there. He couldn’t definitively say it was from track use, he said it could have been pretty spirited driving on the street, but it sill caught me off guard. It was a 3 owner car. First one was 1,000 miles, second one put around 6 and then Ferrari sold it to the third guy and he put the remaining miles / apparently a old man. So when I was about to buy I was sure it was a good car but then this and valve covers sweating a bit were the two issues, which shut down my dreams.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You connect a diagnostic computer to the instrument cluster ECU and there will be many parameters stored there related to CCM brake life and replacement. The tech has to know which one is the correct one to download for the current wear percentage of the brake rotors.

What is the wear percentage of the rotors on your car?

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    True!

And true.

My car was tracked and had to replace brake pads and disc brakes at 21.000mi.

In my case, wear wasn't the issue, despite heat (its dissipation) being a problem. Surface contamination of the rotors was my problem.

In non-tracked cars, I suspect rotors will last a long longer (5-7 times perhaps), but nothing lasts forever. An estimate will always depend on driver profile, environment, usage. Minor wear on a non-tracked car at 21.000mi doesn't surprise me, although it would be better to know how "minor" is "minor". You should ask for the wear percentage from your Ferrari dealer, like Mr. Brian Brown recommended.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Melvok likes this.
  9. JP12345678

JP12345678 Rookie

Dec 19, 2017
    10% rotor wear - how much did you pay for disc replacement? Did you know before you bought it was tracked?

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just out of curiosity, what is the significance of "apparently a old man" ? Does it relate to presumed too little/much use?

12. JP12345678

JP12345678 Rookie

Dec 19, 2017
    No presumption. The older guy put the most miles in fact, but the sales guy inferred he was older and simply used it for highway miles and not spirited driving.

13. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Look for other signs of track use. Multiple chips in the paint and windshield. Does the car have clear bra? If it doesn't and there are minimal paint chips then it's likely not a track car. If the windshield is original and has no significant chips at 21K miles, then it's a good sign it was not a track car.

What are the other specs on the car? Color and options? Price? May be a good deal, especially if you plan to drive the car rather than make it a garage queen.

14. JP12345678

JP12345678 Rookie

Dec 19, 2017
    Yeah there are no other signs of track use. The thing doesn’t even have the LED steering wheel, so I can’t quite figure out who drove it hard.

15. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    so....10% wear at 21,000 miles....hmm, that would translate to 100% at 210,000 miles. I can't see why this would even be a concern.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I see. Tell your salesman I know an "old man" in Ferrari F1 Clienti that is still setting track records with just one of his F1 Ferraris. Great UTube channel. 3G accelerating and 4G braking. Does not own street cars so I'm sure he's not your guy!

As far as having minor wear at 21K mikes, you are good to go and should not be concerned IMO. If your a typical Ferrari owner they will last well beyond your term of ownership and even the next.

17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mel if I recall correctly, it was 3.000 Euro per corner (discs+pads). Total of 12.000 Euro. But I can check my invoice if you like!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Just thought I'd bump this as I've been told by quite a few techs that the pads can wear down much faster on these cars and those are what may need replaced and not the rotors.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Jason, it depends heavily on the use you give the car but that’s also what I’ve heard from the Ferrari technicians that worked on my car: pads wear off quicker, but have an interesting life expectancy even if driven hard (not tracked). Even if tracked just once for instance, it won’t force you necessarily to change them, although it seems good policy to do so, just to be on the safe side (brake fluid too).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Mine needs disc replacement and it's seen the track a lot, now at 95 000 km / 59 000 miles. The rotors have become so uneven on the surface that it eats up my brake pads faster then it should and the breaking power is also suffering in general from this.

When I bought my RWD Huracan just few weeks back I asked dealer about it, as I bought it from the same dealer as the 458 earlier 3 years back, if I would expect the same issue with the Hura and was told these are a newer generation of CCB on the Huracan compared to the 458 so most unlikely, as I will track the hell out of my Hura.

So cost wise I was quoted roughly around 12 500 EUR to have all 4 of them refurbished including new brake pads

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Old man hmmm, well this old man has made quite a few passengers throw up. I rarely let people in my cars anymore, even my girlfriend will not get into some of them. My 458 has over 23K miles brakes are in very good condition