2017 NFL Season | Page 81 | FerrariChat

2017 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tomc, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dang it, Phil. I'm a scientist, I can't take your word for it. Gonna have to do some Google "research"!
    T
    Edit - I'm back. Phil's right. Neither is extremely buxom, but Olivia seems bustier.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I am shocked that you doubted me. I AM a LIFELONG. HESTNUT. ;)

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here you go:

-The Patriots last 4 games, when they got in trouble after losing unexpectedly to the Miami Dolphins, Pats have been called 12 times for 100 yards, while their opponents' have been called for 29 penalties for 292 yards

-Reversed two of their opponents' TDs which were called TD's on the field (and that doesn't include the NY Jets reversal earlier in the season, which was a mockery of the game IMO)

-Reversed an opponents' 4th down stop, which gave the ball back to the Pats

-Reversed a Pats 4th down punt, which gave the ball back to the Pats

-Tony Romo, Jim Nantz, and Mike Mularkey seem to be the only one vocal about noticing that the Pats opponents' are getting 3x the amount of penalties

-First 13 games of this season, Pats had 87 penalties for 772 yards, while their opponents' had 92 for 805. Compare this to the last 4 games of the season - within 4% of each other - but during the last 4 games, when it was looking like the Pats weren't going to get home field advantage, the opponents' get 3x more penalties than they do. Not just penalties, but game-impact penalties.

The Pats didn't need help beating the Titans, however the offensive PI on Decker was atrocious. The Pats were going to punt from their 11, yet the officials awarded them a 1st down.

nicholasn likes this.
  4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    That should be CHESTNUT.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
    T

6. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Brady listed as questionable for Sundays game. His throwing habd was hit in a handoff. Brady was wearing gloves on both hands. Both he and Bellychick refused to talk about it at todays presser.

Jags say that Bady will play Sunday and they will be prepared for that. What about Hoyer? Crickets.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    JAM1 said:
    The penalty bias favoring the Patriots is so wildly absurd it's beyond belief. Next we've got the ubiquitous pass interference calls that always seem to advance the balls on third down for the Pats when they can't do it on their own... or the other side of the drive where the refs can kill off a drive. Then to top it off, we've got touchdown that looked down before the goal line, but there wasn't enough to overturn it so it stood. Interesting since there wasn't enough to say the Pittsburg player a few games back didn't maintain control when he got what appeared to be a game winning TD, but of course that would have lost the game for the Pats so it was overturned anyhow.

On a related note - if anyone is interested - I am willing to pay someone to do analysis of New England game penalties
    Here you go:

-The Patriots last 4 games, when they got in trouble after losing unexpectedly to the Miami Dolphins, Pats have been called 12 times for 100 yards, while their opponents' have been called for 29 penalties for 292 yards

-Reversed two of their opponents' TDs which were called TD's on the field (and that doesn't include the NY Jets reversal earlier in the season, which was a mockery of the game IMO)

-Reversed an opponents' 4th down stop, which gave the ball back to the Pats

-Reversed a Pats 4th down punt, which gave the ball back to the Pats

-Tony Romo, Jim Nantz, and Mike Mularkey seem to be the only one vocal about noticing that the Pats opponents' are getting 3x the amount of penalties

-First 13 games of this season, Pats had 87 penalties for 772 yards, while their opponents' had 92 for 805. Compare this to the last 4 games of the season - within 4% of each other - but during the last 4 games, when it was looking like the Pats weren't going to get home field advantage, the opponents' get 3x more penalties than they do. Not just penalties, but game-impact penalties.

The Pats didn't need help beating the Titans, however the offensive PI on Decker was atrocious. The Pats were going to punt from their 11, yet the officials awarded them a 1st down.

Yea, you're right, Goodell and the NFL league office definitely favors the Patriots. That's why for a $25K equipment violation, Roger only fined Kraft $1MM, took a 1st and 4th round draft pick from Belichick, and suspended Brady for 4 games.

I'm glad the league goes easy on the Pats, I'd hate to see what they'd do if they were actually tough on the team! :rolleyes:

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Brady had to have stitches on his throwing hand.

Brady: l have played with pain before.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Oh boy. Must be some confused bookies in Vegas...T

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Paul, typical Pats fan response.

While everyone sees what's going on, Pats and their fans are in denial.

11. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lets review:

- $25k for an equipment violation - tampering with game footballs which the NFL rule set at "including but not limited to a $25,000 fine". So they got the minimal fine. Wow!

- $1M team fine as a violation of league integrity. Talk about tough... a $1M fine for a guy worth $5.2B. That's Guantanamo bay level punishment!

- Loss of a 1st and 4th round draft pick. Ask the 2010 Saints how that's harsher than what they got for "bountygate" and their loss of 1st round picks in 2012 AND 2013.

- Brady suspension. How many games did he ultimately sit out again? None? The humanity!​

And still, none of these items begin to explain away the penalties, their obvious inconsistency, and their material impact on the outcome of games. As I posted before, if anyone is interested - I am willing to pay someone to do analysis of New England game penalties for the last few years (along with several other teams as comparison). I'd love to have someone good with statistics/auditing check into it to confirm/refute the theory NE benefits from penalties in terms of the outcome of games than any other team in the league.

12. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Correction as I didn't finish my post above before submitting. Yes, Brady was suspended and sat out his 4 games. He appealed, won, it was overturned, then he chose not to fight further - probably because of the evidence waiting in the wings regarding the cheating/deflating. Was that too tough? Look at the Roethlisberger in 2010 - suspended SIX games for an alleged sexual assault that was under investigation for which he was never charged. Brady's FOUR games doesn't look harsh now, does it?

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm interested, and I'm very analytical. How much are you paying?

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mike, I'm not in denial, I've never even been to Egypt.

15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol....that was good.

On a serious note, did $1,000,000 fine affect them on the field? We are referring to on field circumstances that the entire world is witnessing and commenting on.

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Paul, NE is a great team with a very good owner and coach, as well as having one of the two best QBs in NFL history. They don't need to cheat, nor do they need any assistance from the referees.

17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Hmmmm.....isn't that a contradiction to your earlier comments?

18. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    The really frustrating thing is that the officials can deliberately hand a game to the Patriots, but no one in the league can say anything about it without getting fined. Most questionable officiating calls are cancelled out by others later in the game, except when the Patriots are involved.

19. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    ...plus the suspension of Sean Payton for the ENTIRE YEAR.

20. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Stats on penalties by team from 2009 to 2017 aggregated here:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?&year=2017

You can display year by year and sort by category whether any team had a high number of beneficiary penalties and yards as well as net penalties and yards. So what you need to do is to go through year by year and see if New England is in the top ranks by category year after year, more so than any other team.

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Altough I believe that Belichick gets far too much credit because Brady is the reason for his success, i still think he's a decent coach. Take a look around the league, most coaches are dumber than dumb.

Brady does not need to cheat, he is far better than that. He will win most of those games whether he cheats or not, it's a knock on his integrity more than anything.

23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Didn't you imply here that NE get biased calls from the refs?

24. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I didn't imply anything, I was presenting facts. There's a world of a difference between the two.

The facts/stats dont even need to be presented. All you need are two things; a set of eyes and time to watch the Pats' games

25. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check the other post