Switching from 612 to 550 | FerrariChat

Switching from 612 to 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by swiss612, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi all, I am a happy 612 owner, I am on Fchat since I got my car in 2016.
    The 550 starts to grow on me, I have seen one today and It is tough to resist, I can only keep one and will have to trade the 612.
    My main argument for the 550 is the manual gearbox and a more sporty aesthetic
    I have done this back in time jump already with Porsche, going water cooled to air cooled and I am delighted
    I am expecting the 550 to be bulletproof on engine / gearbox side, what is key to watch on this car before buying ? Has anyone done such a change ? Thanks for sharing your experience

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Michel, the 550 engine is similar to the 612's, just an earlier version. There are a number of things to watch for & correct with the 550's. Here is a brief list of the most common that you should expect:

Worn engine mounts
    Leaking intake manifold gaskets
    Deteriorated Fuel pump rubber isolators
    Overheating in hot climate/weather
    Gummy buttons & controls on the dash and console
    Leaking gaskets on the rollover valves for the fuel tank
    Bogus slowdown alarms due to defective catalytic converter temperature ECU's
    Worn top shock mounts
    Prematurely worn valve guides (engine)

There are more, but the above are the most common that owners here have reported.

Themaven likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Go for it, Michel - good decision!

4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'll add:
    - shock actuators (car will show a suspension light due to the unit twisting away from their wires on top the strut tower)
    - alarm siren (alarm light in the dash will stay lit)
    - rear shock mounts (will sound like something is rolling around in the trunk when driving over bumps)
    - fuel pump covers (may smell of gas around the trunk area)

Overall, been an exceedingly robust car and highly HIGHLY recommend! :)

-Joe

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    congrats ! you will not be sorry.. I have 80k miles on mine and and it runs perfectly at all speeds !!!

My technician created a fix for the shock actuators, you can find the thread it's so very simple :)

Engine mounts, if they haven't already been changed upgrade two 575 mounts.

Overheating in hot climate/weather... switch over to distilled water and water wetter with 1/2 gal antifreeze.or No Rosian drinking water Half a gallon of antifreeze.
    I have used both, different technicians both at Ferrari dealership's each has their favorite both work !

Fuel pump covers (may smell of gas around the trunk area) I had both rebuilt around 60,000 miles.

I never had any of the other problems the guys are mentioning.

Fantastic car enjoy !

cheers

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    forgot to say i have a few actuators if you find yours are twisted beyond repair ( before my tech came up with the fix i would buy em off ebay when they came up.

7. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Very comprehensive list above. Look for the plenum hoses to have been upgraded, upgraded silicone water hoses, engine mounts to have been upgraded to the heavier duty 575 versions. I sold my 67,000 mile example which was in pristine condition and an engine which pulled extremely strong. Amazing cars, they need a Tubi to come alive, and then resonators removed to become raucous.

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    MSW have experienced and addressed almost all of these issues between our two 550's and have resolved most of the issues successfully.

If you experience the sound of rattling bricks in the trunk/boot when going over a rough patch PM me.

9. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    thanks to all
    The one I have seen is red with tan interior, it had shocks changed ( not all) and also a new steering rack ( read somewhere they last 30 000 Miles)
    clutch was changed at 40 000 KM car is now 50 000, seems that maintenance was really good, all invoices are there in a binder, I would need to look in the invoices for the engine mounts, but that's a "minor" repair I guess
    I have seen small oil leaks on the front of the engine that seem to come from the cam shaft bearings, is this common ? I have seen exactly the same on a 456 GT , is this something complicated to fix ?

I have another one in sight, its yellow with the carbon interior, lower door panels, handbrake protective hull, sport seats, center console and instrument panel it also has the modular wheels, its more expensive and has 20 000 more KM
    I find the yellow fantastic, and It seems that the carbon interior was not common at all so adding to the exclusivity of the model
    What intrigued me is that rear prancing horse was replaced by a Ferrari badge where there is a american flag instead of the italian one, also the fuel door is in aluminum, I tried to look if this could be a special edition but could not find anything, I will try to see this car next week

Both cars are on autoscout24.ch if you want to look at them

10. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Michel, congrats for the decision to go for a Maranello!

Have bought mine from Italy almost three years ago and I'm still happy with the decision to go for a 550. The manual gearbox has been finally my personal point to go for the earlier Maranello model.

Havn't had any issue on my car, just regular service and probably next year a new timing belt..., but honestly, don't drive the car very much, mine has done just slightly above 27.000 km.....

Good luck for your final decision!

11. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I keep on documenting myself on the 550s, the biggest issue I found is the valve guides and that it affects cars randomly depending on production batches using faulty soft guides. Would I see blue smoke at cold start if the car has the issue ? I mean a car burning oil even little would smell, right ? Issue seemed very much targeted at 355s and 456s and less at 550 but it seems that some people on Fchat had the issue.
    Rest seems weekend DIY jobs and are within my skills.
    What about suspension wishbone bushings and ball joints? I had to change ball joints of the 612 at early mileage, how is the 550 aging on that side?
    I read also that magnesium wheels of the early cars crack, anyone can confirm this ?

I did not ask, but is there an option on the car you think is a must have ? I have read that the car is better without the handling package, any opinion?

Thanks

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nice post, thanks....

The issues below I imagine are just age related correct? My nearly 20 year old Diablo Roadster had to have all gaskets, belts, and other rubber products replaced

Worn engine mounts
    Leaking intake manifold gaskets
    Deteriorated Fuel pump rubber isolators
    Leaking gaskets on the rollover valves for the fuel tank
    Worn top shock mounts

Are any of the above very high cost replacement? The Diablo required an engine out, so the bill for the re-seal was $12,000

For this one, is it similar to the 355 issue? Is it as serious as on a 355?
    Prematurely worn valve guides (engine)

How bad is the overheating issue?

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ten years and these last very classic two seater V-12s will be exceptionally attractive as they combine rareness and great analog driving experience of the old ferraris with TOP dependability an enjoyment also from a safety perspective as they have airbags, abs, traction control and build to make the occupants survive in a crash. The 550 is the most dependable car I have ever owned. My dad's 2013 Mercedes E-class is like a Fiat Ritmo in comparison!! There are many 550s en Europe which has been everyday drivers and have run 300.000+ kms without much more than normal maintdnance. A machine of eternity! Bear in min that the car in the bottom picture is worth about 40 million dollar :) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Is there a good Buyer's guide for a 550 out there that discusses things to look for on an inspection?

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think the 575 is more option sensitive than the 550. The 550 rides quite firmly without the FHP, and handles in a tight and controlled manner. Options are really aesthetic: modular wheels, carbon, etc. The one option it really needs is one that wasn't made by the factory, a sports exhaust. Lovely car though.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Leaks from the cam seals, usually just weeping, are fairly common, but can cause problems if they leak onto the cambelts. To replace them requires removing the camshafts and a cambelt change. On the 575M, they can be changed without removing the cams.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agree. The original exhaust is hopeless. The seats and suspention is just fine in std spec.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I am thinking along those lines also maybe not at 250 GTO levels but at least that value increase allows you to stay on top of things maintenance wise.
    I had the same gut feel when I sold my 997 for a 964 that no one wanted, I do not regret this today, the car doubled in value which allows me to spend good money on the thing, and money it needs, going for a full engine rebuild right now.
    But most important, I want to have engaging driving at normal speeds. The 612 is a fantastic car but to get a kick you are often faster than allowed. The car wide windshield and gigantic wheelbase makes you feel you are driving 60 where as you are at 100 which is a great thing but take some of the thrill away.

F456M likes this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That is exactly the case. A new RS6 today is simply too perfect. You need to go 250 kph to have real fun. I like the 90-ies cars as you have some excitement at medium speeds. Good point. I love the 964 too. My buddy had one. Lots of fun also without a turbo....

Cappo likes this.
  20. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Where there technical upgrades during the 6 production years?
    Would you recommend a 2001 over a 1996?

21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I just took the 550 out for a drive today after not driving it for a few weeks (weather related constraints). It truly is a wonderful experience driving a 550. It provides so much raw visceral fun that each time I drive it, it keeps delivering. Great car and essence of what driving a Ferrari used to mean. Go for the 550. You won’t be sorry.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There were very few upgrades made to the 550 during production. Tensioner brackets very early in production was one. The Scaglietti options were introduced in the 97/98 timeframe, but, except for FHP, those were mostly cosmetic (caliper colors, Daytona seats, stitching, rear leather shelf, roll bar and racing seats, etc). The 575M, however, was upgraded pretty much throughout production.

23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Almost nothing that I am aware of. It was born perfect.