Factory Battery Charger Compatible with Optima Battery? | FerrariChat

Factory Battery Charger Compatible with Optima Battery?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cgk360, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I replaced the battery in my 2008 430 Scuderia and the factory charger doesn't seem to be charging the new Optima 34-R battery. The battery I replaced was an Interstate MTP-91. Is there a compatibility issue or might the factory charger have given up the ghost? Is there a way to test if the charger is still functional? It plugs in and shows green but the green indicator light is flickering a little. It didn't do that before the replacement. Suggestions welcomed.

2. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    I also have a 2008 430 Scuderia purchased new from an authorized US FERRARI dealer.
    I replaced the Battery a Optima 34-R that the car came from the factory (FERRARI S.p.A.) with a Optima 34-R . The factory FERRARI C-Tek Charger has kept both batteries in fully charged condition.The original Optima was replaced after Eight years as preventive maintenance. Trust that helps.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Optima told me you can use conventional charger as long as voltage in dead battery is above 10.5 volts. If the voltage drops bellow that you have to put a lead acid battery between the charger and optima battery. I left parking lights on in hot rod, and I burned the alternator up, by jump starting and let the alt. try to charge dead optima battery.

4. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Frogwo and David. I mean the factory battery tender that plugs in the receptacle in the passenger footwell. Is there a way to test that it's working properly other than it just isn't charging the new Optima?

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Put a volt meter on batter and see if you see a jump in voltage when you plug it in

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Cgk360 likes this.
  6. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    CTEK battery tenders have a special charging mode created for Optima batteries

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    This is not related to chargers. I just bought a Genius GB40 jump battery booster. It says only jump start a lead acid battery only!

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The factory charger will work with the Optima...my 2009 430 Scuderia came with the Optima from the factory (it would appear) as the brackets are designed for it. I think my car is on it's second or third one. Optimas do not require a special AGM charger, though some chargers have an optimized AGM setting.

That said, the factory charger sucks, and has given me nothing but trouble (it would not give me a fully charged indication (after several hours) until I unplugged and replugged it in), so I ditched it and use a Granite battery tender as recommended by Brian Crall. I used the thread on this forum to make my own adapter cable so I can use the factory plug under the passenger side dash. Problem solved. :)

Cgk360 likes this.
  9. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! I'll order one today and mod the adapter cable as I like that feature. Also, the Scud won't start if the tender is plugged in. Did you cut the end off the factory tender and splice it into the new tender?

10. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Which Granite battery tender should I buy? I can't find the Brian Crall reference you mentioned when I searched ferrarichat.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    This was the one .I bot it a year ago but it doesn't seem like it is available anymore ..maybe send an email to the company to see what the replacement is
    Granite Digital (GRT9999) Save A Battery Charger and Maintainer, for 12 Volt, with Deep Cycling Circuitry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRPEBZO/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_TkszAbTZRG9Q4

12. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Dominick.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't think Brian specified a specific model, he just felt the Granite was more robust than the other brands. The hinky operation of the Factory Ctek that came with my car does not give me much confidence in Ctek. My dealer says they replaced a lot of them under warranty and the one I currently have with my car is the "upgraded" one ;)

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I use this on my other optima red top and seems to work well...it does state it is good for agm batteries ..based on .y experience as long as I don't make the battery get low by immediately connecting the battery tender plus after a drive .
    ..batteries have lasted

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mine is similar and included a "tester" feature as well. It appears they completely updated their line up and eliminated the dip switches
    https://www.batterysaver.com/store/c17/all-products

They have three different "wattages", the 25 watt is probably what you want. I am unsure what mine is. Up to you if you need all the various features, even the most basic one is probably fine.

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Glad I could help

19. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. I ordered the 25 Watt version with the tester and digital voltage readout. $89.

f355spider likes this.
  20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The optima is lead acid. Unless you have a racing battery with Lithium tecnology, all car batteries are lead acid, just differing technical designs.

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    So the Optima is a lead acid AGM?

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    yes, spiral wound agm

23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, the Optima is a "spiral cell" lead acid chemistry battery, it falls into the class of batteries known as AGM's, being absorbant glass mat design. The units are sealed, but it is still lead acid. The traditional lead acid battery uses flooded cell technology. There is a gel battery as well, which is really just like flooded cell, with a gelling agent in the acid, works well for deep discharge but not as good as a starter battery, so not as common out there. Gel and AGM are often mixed up, they are different technology but both lead acid.

AGM batteries can be charged with any conventional charger. Gel chargers, or ones with a setting for gel, charge at a lower voltage. The caveat is the charger must not be too high a voltage, typically the max is about 15.5 volts, if you charge higher the AGM battery will in fact vent, and the lost hydrogen will not recombine and the overall battery strength will be permanently reduced. Some very old chargers might charge at high voltages, most newer ones would not.

The best "smart" microprocessor controlled chargers do the job fast, and taper off as the battery hits its optimal charge. It is all about avoiding sulphating the battery, a chemical process which can be avoided by a battery being charged and "full" as often as possible. Some chargers have a desuphating mode which ups the charging voltage and breaks down the sulphates, good to recover a battery that has discharged a few times and has sulphated. Not sure if the higher voltage desuphanating setting is ok for AGMs?

24. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Very good explanation above! What changed with the older standard lead acid batteries ? Many years ago we had to constantly monitor water level in the old lead acid batteries? Today even a standard LAB, we never check the water level.

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You still do...or should. I find most standard type wet cell batteries need a top up every four to six months...I check with every oil change. I also notice with higher quality wet cell batteries (the type with individual screw in type covers for each cell), only require a top up of distilled water every 18 to 24 months.