Safe places to go in Baltimore? | FerrariChat

Safe places to go in Baltimore?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Sfumato, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    My wife and I are moving to Baltimore/Johns Hopkins for a few months while I get a bone marrow transplant.
    She has to stay with me as caregiver, but I'm getting chemo daily after transplant on protocol.
    Meanwhile, my wife is trapped. She walked the neighborhood last time, ended up kicking some assailant in nads, just told me tonight.
    Any advice on places to go/shop groceries (Whole Foods, but manager got murdered opening store, off-putting)
    Just needs to get out, walk safely, away from watching me flail away.
    Uber, no wheels. She's a Texan, but tough not good against knives and guns.
    Thanks.
    Lee

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hopkins isn't in a great neighborhood. My advice would be to just Uber over to Inner Harbor every time as a starting point, only a few miles but the difference is profound.

ronfrohock and Sfumato like this.
  3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Baltimore holds the current title of Murder capital of the US (per capita statistic) so she needs to be careful. High unemployment, drugs, violent crime and an ultra liberal politicians who hate the Police and freely return violent offenders back to the streets after committing murders.

Most of the violent crime is black on black but recent crime indicates that even the "good" neighborhoods have come under siege. I have good friends that live in Baltimore in a nice area and they are prisoners in their own homes at night.

Sea ports have always been very tough places but most have gotten better ...........except for Baltimore.

As mentioned, the Inner Harbor revitalized the downtown area and has great security. But, after a few days she will have seen everything there is to see. Depending on your schedule, she would probably enjoy DC a lot more. Great museums, wonderful walking and more security than Fort Knox. The MARC trains are commuters and run between downtown Baltimore and Union Station in DC.

ronfrohock and Sfumato like this.
  4. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Please contact me.

Sfumato likes this.
  5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've lived in and around Baltimore for 65 years and never had any problems. As with any city, there are certainly tough neighborhoods you'd be well-advised to avoid, but unless you're unfortunate enough to be stuck living in one where drug use/sales are common, it's a pretty safe city.
    Having said all that, the area around the Hopkins medical campus is indeed bad, but a few minutes away is Fells Point (where many Hopkins faculty live), which is fun, and a couple of minutes farther away is Harbor East- upscale, and safe as houses. Contrary to some of the advice above, the Inner Harbor, despite being busy and full of tourists, has had some minor issues of late, but the police are omnipresent there the past few months, and things seem fine now (I see it first-hand, as my office is in the World Trade Center). Frankly, many parts of DC are far worse than B'more, but again, nowhere you're likely to hang out.
    More importantly, good luck with your treatment!

gt1995, ronfrohock and Sfumato like this.
  6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My uncle went to China for a business meeting. There was one 100 watt light bulb hanging from the ceiling. You had one hour of hot water per day and he was told whatever you do stay inside at night. I think the same could be said for Baltimore.

7. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 Adamas, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    I live 20 miles North of Baltimore city proper. Text me or pm me your number and I'll call you tomorrow early evening.

Mike

Sfumato and ronfrohock like this.
  8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    First of all, Lee - Best of luck with your treatment. JH is an amazing place.
    Secondly, I am so please to see some of the kindness in this thread, one of the reasons I love FChat. Good will!

My son is in his final year at Loyola which is nearby and he quickly learned that, just like every other city, there are good places and not so good places. All in all Most of Baltimore is safe, and some areas are much safer than others.
    I know he talks about York Road as bing in the no fly zone and some of the areas that boarder it.
    I’ll bet she will be fine and will quickly learn about her surroundings, especially with the help of your FChat brothers.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Sfumato likes this.
  9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ... depends on what part of York Rd. My jewelry store is on York Rd. up in Cockeysville, and it's a nice, suburban area. The closer you get to the city, the worse it gets.

Baltimore sucks.

Sfumato likes this.
  10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Sorry.... I’m not as aware as you are. I appreciate that your willing to help and share your knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Sfumato likes this.
  11. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I went to visit Loyola in Baltimore as a possible college choice for one of my kids....the campus was surprisingly beautiful, especially for an urban school. However, when we crossed the road to visit the dorm buildings, I was unpleasantly surprised to see bars on the first floor windows. This hint of criminal activity was not reassuring to me as parent, and a drive thru nearby neighborhoods confirmed my fears. I crossed Loyola off my list upon our return home.

Sfumato likes this.
  12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Thanks guys. I've been on here for a long time, and it's a nice, well rounded, and kind place. I've messaged and talked with some of you, and hope to get chance to meet you.

I lived in Houston, and spent lots of time in Bethesda getting treated at NIH. My wife was afraid to tell me about the real assault as she figured I'd back out of transplant. No, but I'd have gotten her a carry permit and a nice Glock, Ruger, something.

We move up a week from Monday, still don't know where exactly we're living. Most likely will be on property at Hopkins in outpatient apartment, or new Marriott across street. Attempted assault was on Orleans Route 40 right around corner from N Broadway entrance to Kimmel Cancer Center.

Ubers easy to find, but she needs to grocery shop, maybe find exercise place, anything other than stay in. She has to be with me as caregiver for "outpatient 2-3 months" but if I'm in treatment she needs to get out and get normal. If we were local, no problem, but we're in SATX, so leaving kids 14y son and 16y daughter with stepson 30. I'd live farther away, but if I get sick, it's fast, and an ambulance ain't fast enough. Transplant is for rare LGL leukemia that failed 14 diff chemos in last 5 yrs. Sux to be interesting patient.
    Lee

13. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As much as Baltimore sucks, you (and/or your wife) can jump on 83N and in 13-14 minutes be in a nice part of town with good restaurants, food stores, gyms, etc.

Hit me up and I'll clue you and the missus in. Me and the wife would be happy to take you guys out for dinner next week and go over the lay of the land with you.

Best

Mike

daytona355 and Sfumato like this.
  14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Yep. A few min north on 83 gets you to much nicer areas.

If you are looking for places in the city Harbor East is one of the nicest areas IMO.

15. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Leaving at dawn on Wednesday for Cavallino and won't be back until Monday, the 29th, but pm me if you need anything thereafter and I'll reply with my cell #.

Sfumato likes this.
  16. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Thank you. We’re flying up Monday 1/29 mid day. Have fun at CC.

17. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I wish you the best.

Hopkins area has vastly improved. I went to Grad School at JHU (Most time at the APL not Downtown) but I visited recently and it was night and day.

Sfumato likes this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Would the Ellicott City/Columbia area be too far away for you? The former has nice old town charm while the latter is cookie cutter suburban sprawl and they're not far from downtown Baltimore.

A couple of my friends took jobs at Hopkins starting this July. I recommended they live in Fell's Point or Federal Hill if they can afford it...

Sfumato likes this.
  19. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Welcome to the neighborhood and I am sorry that it is under this circumstance. We live just south of the Hopkins Medical campus in Mount Vernon, I actually drive by the hospital on a daily basis. Like the others have said, I would advise not walking around the hospital!. If you need to do grocery shopping, jump in an Uber and head over to Harbor East for a Whole Foods or to Canton Crossing where there is a Harris Teeter, Target, and a bunch of other stores and restaurants.

She could try Mount Vernon to see the Walters Art Gallery, Washington Monument, Peabody Library, some shopping and plenty of places to eat. Fells Point on a warm day is great, it's right on the water and has lots of shops and restaurants. When I am feeling energetic I normally walk the dog from our neighborhood down to Fells!

Oh a good rule of thumb, if you see a flash blue light mounted to the street lights....probably not an area you want to walk through :)

If you need any recommendations or help, shoot me a PM. Best of luck with your treatments!

lashss, Hoodude and Sfumato like this.
  20. cayman13

cayman13 Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Sfumato likes this.
  21. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I’m a few miles from there. Walking around the hospital isn’t a great idea but there are plenty of places that are fine in town. I would ignore any advice from anyone who doesn’t actually live in the City of Baltimore itself. Feel free to reach out. Happy to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sfumato likes this.