Making it louder! | FerrariChat

Making it louder!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 100badboy100, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ok dilemma...with my 488

Do I plug the vacuum lines

Or

Put In the Forza valve I have sitting in box

???

Anyone done this DIY on a 488?

I have a garage trolley jack and tools and axle stands - any thoughts?

Regards Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Plug the lines. I have the valve controller and never close them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep I think that's what I'm going to,do....!

Will have a go at doing it myself next weekend... not sure if I can do,it through taking the wheel arch liners out or whether the rear bumper and diffuser needs to come off! Hmmmmm...want to,try and do it myself if I can!

Regards

Michael

4. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    It’s a pain. When the dealer installed the controller, they could barely reach it without having to take the bumper off. It can be done, but pretty frustrating job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robtheheat likes this.
  5. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Will let you know next weekend if I manage it without the bumper off.. even if bumper has to come off it can't be that hard!

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    On my F12 to fit the remote, they had to take the bumper off and it had to hard wired in, so it was not plug and play as the web-site said. I was glad I got the dealer to do it. They just charged me an hour labour even though it an hour and a half.

If you just want them open all the time and you can get at the vacuum pipes, you can get a small brake pipe clamp and just squeeze the pipe shut, I did this on my old 599 and it worked a treat. It was tricky as there was not much room but 2 fingers and a socket on the tightening bold did it

7. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks grant that is a really good idea about clamping the tubes.

I plan to have a look at it this weekend, and will let you know.

Regards

Michael

8. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Hi Michael

Love to see you getting stuck into a Ferrari, I noticed you have placed the axle stands under the rear hub with some cloths, in theory this is the best place to support as it takes the load when the car is back together being put through its paces, can you advise exactly where and how you prop the car , or are there any threads on this, more interested on rear of car, I have been told by numerous ferrari technicians that can prop anywhere along front cill as this is super strong and really very little weight, therefore really no problems getting the front end clear, just don’t want to stress rear components so I tend to just use x2 low nose jacks on either side on the hacking points.

Any advice most appreciated

Mark T

10. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Mark

So to start the story, I had the pleasure of going to collect my car from the factory a couple months ago and have a tour of the factory...( see my thread on this in the 488section).....so how does that fit in...

Well I saw all of the cars moving around the factory and they are hung from the ceiling on a cradle that has 4 points under the car to take the full weight of the car.

My technique therefore is as follows

Trolley jack with a rubber lifting pad on it and then an old tea towel on fob, that is to stop any marks on the underside of the car.

Lifting the back - there is a space about a 10 inches in for the wheel,arch towards the door on the chassis exiting that is not covered by the plastic tray and where I believe the factory lift the car it has a locating hole.

Jack up one side then axle stand under the hub as that is the strongest point and designed to take load with an old tea towel on top to avoid scratches. Then jack downmove to other side and do same.

Front - between the wing and the front door there is a section of the chassis rail again I think the factory lift point again trolley underneath and tea towel on top of the jack pad. I haven't put axle stands under the frot yet as only had one wheel at a time off for cleaning, but the hub will probably be the best place.

I personally wouldn't use a traditional axle stand on the chassis itself as the "U" shape of the axle stand head will dig into the floor etc.

I was thinking of getting a couple of little vinyl stickers made indicating where the jack points are for ease as well as looking Kool !

Just to point out I was really careful when jacking and took far more care than any other car I have lifted!

Also really handy to have the wheel mounting tools to both take off and put on the wheels make so much easier!

Let me know if you need anything else, and I will PM you my mobile number.

Regards

Michael

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  12. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
  13. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Thanks Michael, very detailed and exactly as per my thinking, much appreciated. I will be under mine getting it ready for the good weather, So will get some pictures, Thanks again gents. PS if anyone has any suggestions on a protective wax / coating that can be applied to the carbon undertray on a Speciale, then any coaching welcome, you can here every stone hitting the underside on the move. Hey ho, part of the experience.

I have some hockey pucks that have been profiled to sit the U of the the stands they work really well, if anyone’s interested I got them here.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Axle-Stand-underseal-rubber-protection-pads-classic-car-Jack-Halfords-JCB-/282727066013?txnId=1786253843018

Mark T

14. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Mark

Yep I get the same especially on the country lanes round here all I here is bloody stones pinging up!

My top side all has PPF and don't have any carbon outside or underneath so,not to,much of an issue really and the car is to be driven not just sit in the garage!

Why not take the tray off and have it PPF ? Taking the tray off is easy , could even try PPF diy on the tray as doesn't have to be perfect...if you were local I'd say I'd pop over and give you a hand but looks like your way up,north!!

Thanks for the tip on the pucks will order some mow!

Regards

Michael