Polishing off black anodized trim on my Mondial 3.2? Possible? Bad idea? | FerrariChat

Polishing off black anodized trim on my Mondial 3.2? Possible? Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ferrariguyma, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My 86 Mondial Coupe is Marone (brown) with tan/beige leather.

The paint is original and the car has a really nice patina for 110k mile car.

The black anodized trim has worn thru in places, greyed in other places. I know I could mask it and spray it black but I feel doing that will throw off the “patina balance” and I will have shiny new looking trim and it will not match the look of the rest of the car. I had a 1978 911sc that had the same issue, I ended up polishing off all of the black leaving shiny chrome looking polished metal trim around the windows. I owned a 1978 308GT4 at the same time I owned the 911 and I loved the look of the polished trim on the GT4.

My questions:

Has anyone polished out the trim on a 80s Ferrari?
    Any pictures of mondial’s with highly polished trim?

Bad idea?

Thanks any thoughts or opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice 3.2 you have! Have safe miles with it! :)

The trims are not anodized. It's semi gloss paint on rust free steel. Only your grills are anodized. If you polish it it will be high gloss and will not have the original mat look anymore.
    I understand where you coming from of not painting it, but to paint only your black trims is the best way and other people will not really notice the difference. Only if paint the car and not the trims.

Before you paint them you will need to know the paint will scatter of on same places so you will need to sand it to bare metal and yes a (black) primer that is especially for rust free steel. After that you can paint them semi gloss black again.

As far for the grills. Anodized is not really paintable and you almost cannot sand it of. You would need to re-anodize it after it has a chemical bath. I did not do this as I like some patina still and it not cheap.

HTH
    Tijn

ferrariguyma likes this.
  3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I ahree with Tijn...just paint them again in Black gloss. The best result with the less efford.

Guido

ferrariguyma likes this.
  4. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks to both of you. I think I will keep them “as is” and embrace the patina. The car is 100% rust and damage free so I guess preserving the history is the way I will go.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IMO 70's and 80's cars don't qualify for "patina" status. They need to be in the 60's and prior....

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Polishing the trim will lead to troubles, namely that the layer of black paint is thin and chances are the stainless steel will come through around the corners and edges.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I recall seeing some oem replacement windshield trim in Ferrari blister packing, it looked like unpainted stainless steel. So it must have to be painted before installation. I think the stainless polished would look quite retro, but have not seen anyone actually do it.

I am also surprised the trim is not anodized, it does have an anodized look, but I guess that is just fade over time. I think the Wurth Satin Black Trim paint is as close as one can get to the original OEM finish. Same paint you could use to touch up the black spoiler and side under door areas, where the extra flex property of the paint is useful over the stoneguard type of undercoat.

https://www.autogeek.net/wufltrpa.html

ferrariguyma likes this.
  8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Interesting Paint! :cool:

Quote: "it works wonders on mirror housings, moldings and windshield blade arms."

It will be only as good as the foundation :) --> use a stainless steel Primer (Preferable black) at least 2 times!

ferrariguyma likes this.
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #9 moysiuan, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

Attached Files:

10. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FYI - I had my trims replaced when I had a new front windscreen fitted 18months ago, attached is a photo of the trims in the original package. (They are Matt black finish)

A couple of days ago I noticed on my front door window frames, some of the black paint was peeling off in large strips. Going to have to get these repainted when my car goes in for body work touch ups at the start of next month....

Image Unavailable, Please Login