New Ford GT | Page 71 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Car and Driver's Road Test:-

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-gt-full-test-of-the-blue-oval-supercar-review

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    If you read the full review.......I'm surprised they let it go to print.
    I cant get in the weeds what is better, I'm enjoying the rides......
    All these cars The Ford GT , McLaren 720s , Ferrari 488 and all the rest will have good and bad.
    We are on the cutting edge of OVER PERFECTION with the gasoline engine.
    As ive said before , where do you go from here?
    0 to 100 in 3 seconds?
    300 mph?
    The Rolls Dawn is looking a lot more suitable in a couple of years :)
    Maybe Royal Blue with White leather interior?
    Having fun.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I knew this car wouldn’t put the numbers down on paper to keep it ahead (or even at frankly) the competition. It performs like $200k car. It has a lot of cool aero tech. Also straight line speed is overrated for lap times. So the car will put down respectable but not iconic lap times while being completely compromised as a road car.

Here is the issue though. The Ford GT is too expensive and rare to be constantly thrashed at a track unless the owner truly doesn’t care about money. However, if the owner is worth that much why not just have a few race cars or be part of Ferrari’s XX program? Those cars would demolish a Ford GT. Hell, I believe the mid engined Vette will beat this at (adjusted for appreciation) 10% of the price.

No, if I was allocated a GT, sadly, I’d park it in my garage and let it triple/quadruple in value over the next 12-18 months and sell it. I’d certainly make many trips into the garage to stare at the car however because it’s staggeringly beautiful.

Final thought on value. We live in a market today where rare and expensive sells. Ford prioritized rare and expensive with this car as much as performance. Their “audition” program was a joke but also worked to hype the car. Overall, they executed the sales aspect of this car flawlessly except for the fact that they could have charged $1mm per car. They still would have sold every one.

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Nep, You have to go back two pages, they already had that discussion...;)
    GTJOEY1314
    P.S. I MIGHT HAVE A FUN ADVENTURE PLANNED LETS SEE, WITH ALL BRANDS AT ONCE!

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Tests by C&D, MT, et. al. are really about bragging rights and have a very short shelf life.

Too many variables involved such as driver, temperature, wind, tires, time of day, etc. that means an impartial apples to apples comparison really needs to be done in a laboratory. And then, results are only valid for a short period of time due to advances in technology. For example, in one of the article links, of the 200 fastest times recorded at VIR, a newer Honda Civic beat an S-2000 CR, but 9 years had elapsed between tests.

8. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I thought the Car and Driver was bad, wait till you read the reviews from MT, I think someone woke up on the wrong side of the pillow......

9. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The final word on the car’s track prowess hasn’t been written yet, but, to your point, to people who appreciate the racing angle and the GT40, it doesn’t really matter if it performs like a $100,000 street car. The car is a tremendous success for its intended purpose, and that is as a race car. There is no doubt that Ford could have built a “faster“ car. That is not the car Ford was trying to build. Ford was building a race car for a very specific race.

Every single one of the current crop of supercars is faster than a whole range of very desirable race cars, but I’d pick the street going version of those desirable race cars every single time. To people who don’t appreciate the racing aspect, the homologation aspect or the history of the GT40, I can see how they would call the car underpowered and overpriced. As for the rest of us, we see it as a screaming bargain. A chance to own a Le Mans winning race car. A homologation special. I think it just boils down to what you want out of a car like this. The fact that it is compromised makes it even more desirable to me. I don’t want my supercar to be without drama or compromise.

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Car and Driver summary :

"So even if the GT can’t beat its obvious rivals on manners, performance, or value, it scores a decisive win on excitement."

When's that new Mustang Shelby GT500 coming out? I'll be FIRST in line :)

11. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    #1762 dbk, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the car. The car exists for one reason and one reason alone; in service of the race car. In the conception of the car, Ford did not care about rare or exclusive. In fact, amongst many executives, they preferred the opposite and they would love to build more. But the entire road car program exists in service of the goal of trying to win at Le Mans in 2016. Without that goal, the car wouldn't exist. Period.

If it were any other case, the car would have been an RTM CFRP vehicle pumped out in the thousands with a radically different design. You cannot do that producing a hand-laid pre-preg CF car baked in a 10 atmosphere autoclave. How can we build a homologated GTE vehicle with the appropriate investment in tooling and hardware that will allow us to build a race car capable of winning Le Mans? End of story. The stillborn program that preceded it was exactly the same, just a different vehicle at even lower volumes.

Without this understanding, there's no point even contemplating the car.

Depending on the circuit, GT is a little quicker or slower than a 918. That by definition means it will sometimes be faster than a LaFerrari. It's unequivocally faster than a 675LT or 488 GTB or an Aventador SV. If the GT is multiple seconds a lap faster than a 488 GTB, does a 488 GTB perform like a $200k car? Logic would have to dictate your answer to that be yes, but I'm pretty confident it won't be. The 675LT I bought was over $400k MSRP and it wasn't even a Spider. I don't really think that's a $200k car. I watched our chief instructor in an Aventador SV coupe completely unable to catch an inferior but still excellent driver in the GT at the track. I really don't think that's a $200k car.

I also laugh at the notion the GT is compromised as a road car. The only true compromise on the GT is luggage space. Go look on eBay at the endless parade of 1k-5k mile Ferraris and tell me how important luggage space really is. The car is perfectly comfortable on the road with a disconcertingly supple suspension. It's got good visibility, good low speed performance, rear view cam, nav, etc. It's moderately loud by the standards of a modern stock car. It's quieter than pretty much any car with an aftermarket muffler. I'm pretty confident it's quieter than a GT3 RS but I haven't driven them back to back within minutes. GT seats are certainly more comfortable than the LWBS in a GT3 RS and they are a whole hell of a lot more comfortable than the race buckets in the Lambo. It's a little big on the road and it's small in the cabin for someone over 6'2 or 250 lbs. Bring me my fainting couch.

That said, even the marginal compromises it does have relative to the broader supercar market are a positive. The GT is an unforgettable drive, especially for people willing to utilize the car's potential. Driving the car on the track, its behaviors make it immediately identifiable as the progeny of a race car. Even the race car drivers say it's eerie how reminiscent the road car is of the race car. If this is a negative to you, it is definitely the wrong car for you. There are plenty of anodyne appliances for speed available, and you can get them at massive discounts, or at least sell them at massive discounts if you buy them new. Those cars are great for your average Cars & Coffee toodler.

Then it's a good thing you weren't allocated one, and they were allocated to people like the below then, isn't it?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    I can't get my GT soon enough. Those photos are giving me chest pain, they are so awesome. Having driven next to the new GT on a track, it pulled away from me on a long straight away, and I was in a car with 700 rWHP. It is just nuts.

13. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    FLGT, Was that a McLaren 720 s.........only kidding, Enjoy!
    Maybe we get one of you guys to caravan from the East coast to California , ending up at Pebble Beach.
    Not a Gumball just a 4 day run?
    Will have details soon....
    GTJOEY1314

14. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Did anyone see what the 720s hammered for at the BJ?

15. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    No sale. It didn’t meet reserve. I believe the high bid was under MSRP. Beautiful color on that car.

16. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Was driving 2005 GT with whipple, and > 700 rWHP. I couldn't keep up with the new GT even on the long straight.

17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I didn't understand it either, it was bid up to 300+ then points front and back then reserve not met?
    You can get one in the low mid 3's why would you buy it at an auction?
    FLGT, our old GT'S are the real deal for old school and that's why they are hanging around the 300 zone for non heritage, BUT as Ive said before, the New GT the New McLaren , the technology is soooooo far ahead, they make anything built 4 days ago seem like 100 years ago.
    We are in the greatest time of sports cars running on gasoline, Enjoy it!
    GTJOEY1314

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    720s will be a 250k car this time next year. Ford GT could be a $2.5mm car this time next year!

19. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    And in 3 yrs, 720s will be a sub $200k car.... Of course, then there will be a 720LT, 720 Spyder, then a 750, then a 750LT, then a 780... That's not to say 720 isn't a great car, I just would not own that in 3 yrs....

Will be a long time before there is another Ford GT, if ever....

crinoid likes this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sinovac/DBK, finally had the time to read your posts. I respect your opinion as future owners. I hope you have a lot of fun with your cars and report to us your experiences. I'm quite jealous of your ownership (even if I'd never take it on a track) ;).

21. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    Hi Mr. Werewolf. I've been granted permission to post what Billy Johnson ran same car same day as C&D. On a warm up lap. The kid is fast.

I'm no mathematician, but I think this stacks up pretty well...

[​IMG]

2:38.62

22. Lacquer

Lacquer Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    2.38.62 on a warm up lap...Wow! and just imagine if they set up camp with a ringer car like most manufacturers do....

23. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    Johnson is an absolute monster. Too bad he had to preserve the tires for C&D later in the day.

24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #1775 werewolf, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    hey i'll play YOUR game ...

- when i posted FACTUAL information about the Ford GT's disappointing weight, disappointing power, disappointing fuel efficiency ... i was asked about my "bias" (as if that somehow magically influenced the hard data).

- after YOU posted laptime info at VIR (and another fanboy jumped in), i posted that it was THREE SECONDS SLOWER than the Viper ACR (http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virginia-international-raceway-grand-east-course-post-01-2014). Of course, the now-expected responses about "my bias" followed ... as if the magic "rejection" of my application ... that i NEVER submitted ... somehow influenced the hard data, once again :rolleyes:

- now that the very disappointing (but not surprising) magazine reviews are rolling in (see all the posts above, including Car and Driver's summary: "So even if the GT can’t beat its obvious rivals on manners, performance, or value, it scores a decisive win on excitement.") ... MY turn to ask about YOUR bias :

1. Have you ever been paid by Ford or Multilmatic? (employee, consultant, etc)
    2. How many webpages do you routinely visit, defending the seemingly unending disappointments concerning the new Ford GT?

At your request ... silly as it was ... i posted my bias: ZERO. Never submitted an application, never visit ANY other webpages about the Ford GT, zero financial interest in the damn thing.

Now it's YOUR turn: What's YOUR bias? What's YOUR interest in the new Ford GT??