2018 - FCA Bagels and Ferraris | FerrariChat

2018 - FCA Bagels and Ferraris

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by BassMan, Jan 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We start a new year and despite the cold weather we have spring to look forward to and the resumption of our regular weekly get togethers. For those that don't yet know we meet (weather permitting) Sunday mornings at 9 AM in Plainview at Town Bagel on Old Country Road at the intersection with Mannetto Hill Road.

Over the past 3 years this group has consistently grown and we average 12-15 Ferraris but have had over 25 on occasion. This is and FCA sponsored event but you do not have to be a member to participate all Ferraris are welcome!!

Let's continue to grow and build on our accomplishments thus far and show the vitality of the Long Island (and beyond) Ferrari Community.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you for the early post Andy! Seems a long way off before we start meeting there being that it is in the 20s now and Winter just started. Something definitely to look forward to and I’m hoping for a real big turnout this year week after week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Happy New Year guys! Have you ever seen so much salt on the roads? I swear Long Island has become a big piece of bacala.

Labman likes this.
  4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Omg. I think they have extra salt stocks this year on LI and are literally just dumping all over the roads even when it wasn’t really needed. The salt is being pulverized into a fine dust and being thrown up into the air when cars/trucks drive over it . Can you imagine what this would do to the aluminum in a Ferrari? We need a couple of major rain storms now to get rid of it. But from the looks of it, that’s not going to happen anytime soon

5. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

It's all a plot to get us ready for the Ferrari SUV ! Happy New Year. See everyone soon

6. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    It’s time to start a new thread for 2018. Lets hope for warm temperatures and clean roads soon.

Labman likes this.
  7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hoping for the same Bob. We need a good rain again to get all this salt off the roads. I’m itching to take a spin. So much sand on the roads though. We have to be careful of the cars in front of us spitting up rocks too. Bring on the Spring!

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I can't wait for a good rain to clear those messy roads!!!

Labman likes this.
  9. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The two LI Bagels and Ferrari threads have been merged in order to minimize confusion going forward.

Please use this thread for the ongoing discussion.

10. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    Billy said No! :D;)

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks like heavy rain for Tuesday. Goodbye salt!

12. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Roads look almost clean, and the weather is supposed to be clear but cold on Friday. I may drive the 488 Spider on Friday to let the oil warm up and move the fluids around.

Labman likes this.
  13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe we will meet this Sunday at our usual spot.

14. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I took my 488 Spider out on Friday. It was cold (mid-30s) but the roads were salt-free. There is some residual sand on the roads, but relatively few potholes. I got the car warmed up, drove about 20 miles and put it back in the garage. Then we drove up to the ski house in another car.

FYI, the pressure in one of the tires was very low, probably a result of sitting in an unheated garage without moving for about 7 weeks (do the beads temporarily release?). I put air in the tire and, after the car was warmed up, was able to recalibrate the TPMS system. All is good.

Labman likes this.
  15. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Picked the 328 up at universal after her major. They did the usual fantastic job and I swear the car seems stronger. Back in the garage waiting for salt season to end. See everyone soon

Labman likes this.
  16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hal,
    If they lost evenly, then it's just the cold. If one tire lost more than the others, I would look further into it. It will most likely be a bad valve, bad stem, and or a puncture. Check the tire valve and stem with soapy water, and look at the whole tread carefully for a nail.
    Or of course, now that you know that you did the pressures correctly and reset the TPMS, you can watch it and see if the same thing happens.
    A bad bead is possible, but not common on new cars, usually older ones that form corrosion preventing a good seal.

Labman likes this.
  17. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Thank you Chris. I'm going to keep monitoring it, and will give it the soapy water inspection when it warms up a bit. Three of the tires just had the kind of reduced pressure that you would expect from the cold, but the fourth was far lower. A tire deflated a few winters back on my 2013 458 Italia also, and never gave me a problem after I reinflated it. The car is sitting on carpeting on a cold concrete floor; the garage is not heated. The previous deflated tire was a relatively new Michelin, and the current one is a relatively new Pirelli.

Labman likes this.
  18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If it only had an issue once, then it fixed, my suspicion lies with the actual valve inside the stem. It probably never seated fully after the last time you checked pressure or added a little air. That's the highest possibility. Hopefully this time it's the same issue, but it's not that common.

Labman likes this.
  19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I took the Fcar out today for a warmup run. The suspect tire was down about 1.5 psi from last week -- there is a slow leak.

OTOH, the turbos in the 488 absolutely love the cold air.

bball16 and Labman like this.
  20. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A lot of salt?

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Soap test on valve and stem if you can’t fine a puncture. If it’s neither of those, there is a very, very minute chance that the rim is defective.

22. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    There wasn't much salt on Thursday. If we get snow this week, there will likely be more salt.

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The weather for this Sunday looks good so far.
    Let’s head to bagels for a pre-spring meet!
    Who’s in?

24. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's supposed to snow

25. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed