Talk me off the ledge: GranSport and Gran Turismo | FerrariChat

Talk me off the ledge: GranSport and Gran Turismo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Gran Drewismo, Jan 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I just discovered (yeah I'm late to the party) that GranSport and Gran Turismos are now dipping into the $20s and $30s respectively. This seems like a hell of a lot of car for the price. BUT the question is, how stupid would I be to have to buy one of these? A 10+ year old Italian doesn't always seem like a wise proposition, but I have been closely checking out 456s which are much older and twice the price.

Some examples:

Gransports:
    http://inventory.mgmsl.com/web/used/Maserati-GranSport-2006-Warrensville-Heights-Ohio/40270445/

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=473194865&zip=83704&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=83704&startYear=1981&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GRANSPORT&makeCodeList=MAS&searchRadius=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GRANSPORT&makeCodeList=MAS&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=MAS&modelCode1=GRANSPORT

GranTurismos:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=474350965&zip=83704&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=83704&startYear=1981&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&maxPrice=35000&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GRANTURISM&makeCodeList=MAS&searchRadius=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=35000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GRANTURISM&makeCodeList=MAS&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=MAS&modelCode1=GRANTURISM

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=472106073&zip=83704&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=83704&startYear=1981&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&maxPrice=35000&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GRANTURISM&makeCodeList=MAS&searchRadius=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=35000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=GRANTURISM&makeCodeList=MAS&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=MAS&modelCode1=GRANTURISM

What do you guys think? Good purchase that scratches the Italian GT itch or ruinously expensive mistake?

2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    the OH car looks the best in pictures.

I also want one! I would only consider a manual transmission car though. I can not afford to take cars like these to the dealer for maintenance, and it seems like the paddle-shift manual transmissions are higher maintenance. My father was just talking to someone that bought one like the OH car and loves it. He knew what he was buying and why. Has not had any problems - I thought it was a 2004 car, its in PA. I tend to believe these cares require a little more TLC care than Toyotas and thus have a few more problems. But if you are able to sort one out and make the repairs they should become very reliable. I have seen some cars with a lot of miles on them - meaning they didn't get that way sitting in a repair shop.

3. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    About 2 years ago I picked up a 2005 GranSport. I had been looking at the GranTurismo's and also Aston V8/DB9's. The GranSport feels closer to the V8V and was quite a bit cheaper, so I decided to try it out! The GranTurismo(I was targeting the '09 GTS) is a nice car, but felt too modern and mass produced.
    I've now put 12k miles on the GranSport with mostly maintenance costs, plus a stereo system upgrade which I did myself. The dealer was only needed to program a new key. I've successfully diagnosed an F1 pressure leakdown and replaced the clutch solenoid(extremely cheap believe it or not! <$200) - over 8k miles on that fix. Also repaired all stickies myself but those can be sent out, too.
    If you've found a car, definitely get a PPI and a FULL reading of all transmission parameters. Search around for common issues like the heater core and suspension ball-joints. I'm getting ready to replace my rear ball joint covers.
    Also add in the FD DBW module - it gives you a much quicker throttle response as well as quicker clutch engagements(saving the clutch). My GS is going about 1% clutch every 1k miles. Besides my car having the DBW it has the FD springs and Fabspeed 2nd cat bypass pipes. I had to reset the ride height this year after the previous owner, who installed the springs, had it set too low.
    My only complaint is that the 19" wheels with low profile tires make for a bit of a knocky ride around our potholed PA roads.
    Otherwise, I HIGHLY recommend the GranSport!

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow thanks for the replies, guys. Very insightful.

One of the challenges to owning a car like this is that I live in Idaho and the nearest dealer is five hours away in Salt Lake City, Utah. Otherwise it's eight hours to Portland, Oregon. There are a couple of independent shops near me that service Ferraris and Maseratis so I am not a total island, but would prefer to find something I can work on myself as much as possible. Sounds like the GranSport might be the better choice of the two for that.

http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/4200_service_kit/4200_service_kit.php

When I see stuff like this, I get excited. That's a fun day in the garage for me.

5. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    General service is relatively easy. Gearbox oil is a little tricky due to the filter and I have a thick rubber boot around my gearbox(makes cleanup tricky). Engine oil is easy - cleaning up around the oil filter takes the longest! I haven't done my cabin filter or serpentine belt yet. Air filter is also easy - just requires removing the left front wheel and a panel or 2. For the most part it's been enjoyable to work on, including the F1 box. The Easydiag/X431 tool is cheap and at least allows for reading parameters and doing a few other things. Right now I wouldn't trust it to setup a clutch or PIS, though.
    I know someone who saw my car at a local show and decided to get a GranSport for his wife and he's on the look-out for a Spider for himself!

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Are they generally reliable cars? Don't laugh, but I need something that I can drive and not have the doors fall off.

My head tells me to buy a Porsche. But a good 996 C4S is over $30k and I still might have to do things like replace the IMS bearing. That gives me a window of $5-$10k to dump into the Maser before I break even with the Porsche's purchase price.

Man Maths kicking in.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Gransports are really nice. I have a regular 4200 with a manual trans and Larini Exhaust and love it(same motor and basic car). I would have bought a Gransport if it came with a manual but it does not.

The 2008 GranTurismo I believe still had the same 4.2 motor and weighs 500lbs more(when did they change to 4.7, mid 2008?). I would only get a 4.7 GT. The GranTurismo is much more common than either the GranSport or 4200 if that matters to you in the long run but I understand are bullet proof cars.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Wow that blue GT for $35k ask is mighty tempting. Same colors as my Audi.

9. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    I sold a 2006 Boxster S to change over to the GranSport. Totally different driving feel between the 2 cars - Boxster feels like a go-kart, while the GS feels like a large sportscar(especially after the mods). The GranTurismo felt like a mid-sized sedan - it just felt too big for what I wanted.
    Had the GS on several long trips and it never put a foot wrong. What does make me a little nervous are the low-profile tires and various plastic/trim pieces. Mechanicals are solid, especially if you keep up on service. They also like to be driven and I use mine as a daily driver to work when the weather is decent.

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The 4.7L is available in the 09 and up Granturismo sport and MC cars all regular Granturismo have the 4.2L engine. The 09 S and MC cars have the F1 transmission all other cars have a ZF automatic transmission. Over all it's a nice driver and especially once you get into a 2013 where they significantly upped the hp. Yes it is a modern more heavily produced car but it's a nice car that can be daily driven pretty darn reliably. Also the prices on the 08-11 non s cars are coming way down, making these cars nice entry exotics for joe business person. If you are looking for something more exclusive then this ain't the car for you, and save the 09 S (and maybe some of the later MC cars I'm not sure) no clutch replacements.

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I have a 2008 GT. It's my good weather DD. They depreciate horribly which is good for buyers now. Awesome car - I love it and can't wait for spring.

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I sold my 2006 Gransport Spider with 17,000 miles on it 6 months ago for $33,000. It was immaculate, two-owner, fresh service, new tires and spider top straps. Original MSRP of $112k iirc. I consigned at the Ferrari/Maserati Dealer, so that should be top of market for a Gransport.

I loved the car, but was worried about "start it and drive" reliability (even though it never left me stranded). The F1 sucks, but the aftermarket mods supposedly fix that sufficiently.

I also owned a 996 C4S, in fact I traded it on the Maserati when I got the Gransport back in 2009. The Maserati was way more of an event to drive and more fun too (the sound, the torque, the lack of 4wd, more hp, the amazing looks, very nice interior, the fact that you don't see yourself at every stoplight in a place like Scottsdale). It was by far the most commented on car I owned, especially by women (and I own a Challenge Stradale). Everyone loved the GS, guys of all ages, women of all ages. That car was simply bad-ass. I am having some regrets...

Anyways, I mostly posted so you have a real data point on "top of market" value for the cars when dealing with any dreaming sellers.

13. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    One of the more exotic parts of the engine is the combined oil pump and water pump assembly. If one of them is failing, you need to replace both since they are one unit.

Otherwise, the Gransport is a very appealing car. Sounds great and a lot of fun to drive. All kinds of people like it.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think the Gransport is almost at the bottom because of age and it is rare. In fact the 4200's including all variants is rarer than both the 360 and 430 Ferrari. The early GranTurismo other than maybe the F1 2009's will go down more. Look at both and decide what you want, a collector car or a daily driver.

15. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I have a GS. No issues. By '05 these were pretty sorted and while i suggest a GS over a Coupe, the coupes had manual options.

Prices lower than my 90's Ferraris for service and the GS has way fewer issues.

The engine is very reliable. Just maintain it (seals).

Dont be in a hurry, get a PPI done by someone in the area that the car is in. You will find a low mile clean car and pay much less that the listed price.

The F1 tranny with the FD module is no dual clutch but it is good - have learned when to lift from the throttle and when not to - it is my only automatic car and i like it. It is ok in bumper to bumper traffic but not great.

It is sloppy at speed in stock form. Upgraded bars and or spring upgrade is recommended.

Secondary cat delete recommended.

Look at the parts on formula dynamics' site.

Issues - upgrade the F1 pump relay for longer pump life, ball joint boots need to be free of cracks, stickies, the heater core goes which is a bigger deal and the alarm/immobilizer unit goes.

http://craig-waterman.com/ is a good place to look.

When i am in a 355 or 456 i get thumbs up from men and it's not too frequent.

The GS - 50/50 women and men and very often. People love this thing.

I almost went Jaguar xkr which is more powerful but i like the GS.

16. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I own a 2010 GranTurismo S that I bought with 17,500 miles on it from the dealership in SLC. Yes--dealership (I can hear people cringing...). I'm the second owner, the car is fantastic, and every time I drive it I feel like I stole it. A big reason I went for the GT S is 1. price of a used one 2. maintenance costs 3. automatic with paddle-shift options.

I find that when I'm driving I zone out a bit and didn't want to worry about having to shift the paddles. I own 2 other normal stick shift cars (clutch pedal and center console shifter) which seems normal to me. Always worried that the F1 2009 model would be a bit too much maintenance-wise (even though owners rave about them). And to state the obvious, the car looks great from any angle. Take your time, research the hell out of possible models, test drive a few, and have fun with the search! Also--look at taxes, delivery, inspection, etc. Good luck!

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I have had almost 0 problems with my 2009 GTS with F1- I had Image Unavailable, Please Login to replace spark plug wires or something a few years ago
    This was taken Friday

NEP and Dave rocks like this.
  18. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a 2010 S. With this car the phrase “take the long road home” has become my motto..

Absolutely adore it..

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm close to buying a GS or GT almost every other week. I owned a Coupe before which had a stick shift. They're fairly reliable cars mechanically speaking. A pleasant surprise I had was the fact that they're also pretty easy to work on and nothing feels too cramped in the engine bay. Like others have said, for some reason it gets a lot of looks and compliments from both sexes. I think women like them because they're a bit under the radar and not shouty like a mid engined Ferrari/Lambo.

I've never driven a GT but I assume it's a pure grand tourer car. The Coupe and GS seem more like a hybrid between a sports car and grand tourer. The one downside to the Coupe and GS is that they're kind of hard to sell so if you decide to go for one, negotiate hard. You can pick up a GS for 20-23k with low miles. Don't spend more than that. If you can afford it, got for the 4.7 GT.

One thing to keep in mind on the GS, although they're reliable some expensive problems can jump at you in case that F1 system starts acting up. The GT won't have any such issues I believe.

20. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Appreciate the responses, guys.

One additional question: Which is the better for long distance (several hours) drives? I'm assuming the GranTurismo is more of a well, grand touring car, versus the Gran Sport?

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Actual travel is where the Granturismo comes into its own, it really was created for that.

In town it is a bit big but on the Autostrada it makes you feel sooo good, you just need a leggy glamorous creature in the passenger seat, toothbrushes in the trunk and you are all set:). Not that I have driven them a lot but that became immediately apparent. I will have an S eventually.

If you drive a lot in tight towns like old European ones then the Gransport might pay off as more practical.

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've driven my GT from Philly to Buffalo twice (about 6 hours). Great stretch of rural highway as you go from PA to NY - the car is a blast. It's also a timeless design.

Given depreciation and IMO, the fact they are somewhat breaking the great design for the sake of change, get one a few years old.

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I know you will like the sound of both, but the 4.7 Maserati engines sounds almost small block alloy American to me. The 4.2 sounds more European.

What do you think?? I like them both but prefer the 4.2's sound.

NEP likes this.
  24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    NEP likes this.
  25. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004