Anyone have a Panigale? | FerrariChat

Anyone have a Panigale?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by JohnMH, Sep 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Am considering buying a used R. Street ridden (reasonably gently), 12,000 km. Service records.

I have a place in Bologna and want to keep a street bike there for mornings on the Futa and Raticosa. Anyone have any reliability experience with Panigales specifically? I have lots of experience with the older 4 valve bikes, but never owned a Panigale. When they were originally introduced I borrowed one from the factory and loved it, hence the idea.

2. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM
    A few on here have them. I've only put a couple thousand miles in mine, but haven't had any issues with it yet. Great bikes and I never hesitate to start mine up. It's never failed me. If it has had the 12k km(7500mi) service, so should have nothing to worry about for a while. No belts on these.

Get some good ear protection cause these are LOUD

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I almost always ride with earplugs. From what I can gather from a few sources they seem actually quite reliable.

4. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I have one of the last 2015 R's. It is a 2015 but has the new body work. I broke a mirror and it took forever to get the correct one as they kept sending me the older mirrors. I can not contribute a lot as I only have 300 miles on the clock. But will say it is a gem to look at and it revs so much more than the stock models. You can def feel the lighter pistons. My service rep did say to pay attention to the oil. Says several they have worked on kept burning/loosing about a quart of oil between oil changes. Not on a R as of yet however.

5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
  6. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    That is stunning... enjoy her often!

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have a Superleggera. Awesome bike. You will love an R.

8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I have had an 1199R followed by 1199SL and now a1299SL. ALL have been awesome and reliable!
    Ear protection is a must even with the standard exhaust

9. Marc E

Marc E Rookie

Oct 23, 2017
    Just joined Ferrari chat so this is a late response.

I have run a few Ducati dealerships in the U. S.

Stay away from 1199 family.

1299 more friendly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Can you say why, Marc?

11. Marc E

Marc E Rookie

Oct 23, 2017
    For starters if you're taller the 1299 is a little bit more user-friendly.

The best way to describe the difference between the two is that the 1199 is like a wild beast and the 1299 is a little bit more tame down. You would definitely see the difference when you rode both bikes!

Obviously both bikes are extremely powerful but the delivery is completely different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The 1199 has less torque low down so need to whip it to get the best out of it. The 1299 has torque characteristics more in common with prior Ducati V twins with more torque lower down.
    The ergonomics are better for me on the 1299 as I am 6’2” but both bikes reward in equal measure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Panigale

Panigale Rookie

Oct 13, 2015
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mathew
    I agree the 1299 would be a better street machine while the 1199R is an amazing track bike...but a blanket statement to "stay away" from the 1199 series is a bit much. I track my 15R 2-3 days per month. It's first year it spun a rod bearing on the straight at The Ridge (Shelton, WA). We got one of Shakey Byrne's prior engines and put the '15 WSBK exhaust on it...blueprinting and rebuilding the engine. 202hp at the rear wheel (Boulder Motor Sports dyno)...and it's an amazing machine. Very curious to see how the V4 will be!

14. Panigale

Panigale Rookie

Oct 13, 2015
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mathew
    ...oh, and pingi...prior to rebuild, my '15R was blowing a ton of oil into the airbox.... Now with a "proper" build...zero blow-by...and I don't have to top off the oil any longer (used to have to check it a few times each trackday).

15. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM
    I'm 5'9" and the 1199 fits me perfectly. Very comfortable and much more so than the s1000rr other than the heat and the need to change out the stock seat for a race seat or comfort seat. The 1199 seems to want to kill me at times in race mode in the city. Gets the heart racing on the way to/from work.

16. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #17 Jackie and bill, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    I have owned my 1199 Panigale for 3 years, its one of 3 ducatis i have in my collection which includes two MV F4s ( Italian link;) ) Its not an R but maybe my expereance might be valid.
    My Pani has never caused me a moments problem. The main cause for the 1199s unruly behaviour is because the rear suspension straight from the factory is set at the track only setting of "F". This makes the bike very harsh and causes it to hop and mis behave at times. The rear linkage setting needs to be set at the "P" position, this position makes the rear of the bike softer and more Progresive ("P"). So with that in mind, when the biking journalist first tested the bikes, they were deliverd in the "F" position which was great for the track but to harsh for real world roads. God knows why they set it in this position straight from the factory, but the transformation is night and day between the two linkage settings.
    Now regarding the throttle being to sensitive and agresive for the road for some riders, again this is because most riders have the electronic menu setting turned to the "Race" position, great for the track but to sensitive for some road riders. Set it to "Sport" and its again night and day with a more progresive feel rarther like the 1198 that came before it. Both setting still deliver the same 195 bhp, just the throttle delivery can be adjusted.
    Hope this helps you in your research , or maybe not :)

17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Love the Diavel as your “cruiser” in the background. A wolf in wolf’s clothing. Have mine in a more subdued carbon black. Enjoy it as much as the 1199 and 1299 and makes a super fun DD

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I went to an authorized dealer and spoke about the 1299. When it is hot outside, the salesman claimed they may shut off while driving around town in traffic. He also said it is hot in the area around your nuts. Also claimed the 959 has none of those problems.

19. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Authorised Ducati sales man of the month....not.
    Never heard of the "shutting of" problem. Although in England we never get hot weather worth talking about.
    You really should take a ride on one ralfabco, they are amazing bikes. Or maybe the authorised ducati sales man who should be selling the product instead of talking it down has put you of.

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The dealership also sells BMW, and several Japanese bikes. He recommended the 1000RR - BMW. I had a 748 Mono. zero problems when I had the Duc.

21. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    From my experience the Panigale isn't a great street bike. Ive spoke about it multiple times on here. The Factory seat reminds me of a wooden church pew, the exhaust is loud and the bike is very cramped and hot. It depends what you want to do with the bike if it may fit your life. I have had a multiple S1000's and I feel they are a better street bike, heck I haven't seen a magazine shootout where the Pani has even came close in the street riding portion. If you really are after a good street bike from Italy I would check out the 15+ RSV4's, they finally have a motor to go with the suspension and frame. If you have to have a Ducati the Monster R I rode appealed to every single one of my senses, I love that bike.

22. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    202WHP on Pump or MR12? Regardless thats pretty darn impressive!

23. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    My 1199S Tricolore was a **** load of problems... new dash, fork seals went out twice, need O2 sensors twice, new ECU, new shift position sensor.... Finally got feed up and traded it in for a 1299S... and that was a freaking mistake. 13 months and only 4000 miles later, I regret that purchase....
    The 1299S are famous for their stalling issues... I had that so bad the dealership made me remove my Termi exhaust and RapidBike to "fix" it. Still does it, although better now (after they sync'd the throttle bodies which were laughably not adjusted from the factory). The gas tank would boil over and the bike would dump fuel out the by pass like crazy, until Ducati finally replaced the tank....
    But the best experience was at Deals Gap. Hot into a right hand corner and I loose the ass... Luckily I save it (or it saves itself).. Rear tire is wet... with a combination of oil and radiator fluid. Bike sits at the dealer for 2 months because the Ducati rep won't authorize the repair....
    Now the bike boils the radiator fluid out.
    Both my Panigales have been nightmares. I am glad some here have had better experiences than I have. My Diavel has been a dream by comparison.

24. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    To follow up on my original post, I drove over to the dealer but missed buying that R by about an hour. Someone else snapped it up.

About a month later I am back at the same shop - the same R I wanted is in bits, seems it grenaded the engine shortly after being sold. Dodged a bullet that time.

I just ordered a new 2018 Aprilia Tuono Factory....