Suoercharger | FerrariChat

Suoercharger

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dale Goodman, Jan 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dale Goodman

Dale Goodman Rookie

Oct 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dale Goodman
    Has anybody installed a supercharger on a 308 or 328? They have a nice kit from a manufacturer in Wisconsin. It provides 6 PSI of boost, so it does not require an intercooler and doesn’t seem to put too much stress on the engine or excessive heat. All opinions welcome

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi.
    I haven't personally, but have seen several on YouTube.
    Nicks Forza has a kit for $10k with some extras. Also, 928 motorsports has a kit for around $6k. I think the 928 kit is supposed to add around 50% increase if I remember right.

Also, the good thing is they are bolt on, so could be removed if wanting to go back to stock.

3. Dale Goodman

Dale Goodman Rookie

Oct 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dale Goodman
  4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    May offer my humble opinion. I have a Norwood turbo QV. I love forced induction on a 308. However, if you don't build the engine for boost (even low boost) you will damage the engine. The compression rings on a 308 are very thin and brittle. The problem you will run into is detonation using pump gas with the stock timing curve. You need a modern programmable ECU that allows you to control timing and fuel. If you are willing to go the extra mile and use the correct JE pistons, copper head gaskets and a few other mod's. You will have a reliable system. Otherwise, prepare for broken top rings and bad things.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Cirorsi like this.
  5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    MikeC supercharged his 84.

It has been in about ten years now too

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have NO experience with forced induction on a Ferrari. But have a fair bit on US engines and have found that virtually any engine with a compression ratio under 10:1 will accept 5-6 psi of boost with no issues at all other than checking to be sure the existing fuel system is adequate to supply the necessary increased fuel. Basically, my experience is that stock vehicles can accept around 30% increase in power with no ill affects and no "upgrades" required to the drivetrain. In fact, we modified an existing turbo car that had the factory boost limited to 7 PSI, increasing it to 15 PSI. We added an intercooler (car didn't have or need one with the factory 7 PSI) but no other changes. Last I knew, had 120k miles on it.

But, as I said, that is not Ferrari engines. , I would not have hesitated to add the 928 motorsports SC to my 328 with the boost at around 5-6 PSI. In fact I had planned to do that on two occasions in past years but on both occasions, the IRS informed me that they needed the 6k I had allocated for the SC. ;) Obviously, if the piston rings on 3x8's are not adequate for increased power levels, then perhaps I was lucky that the IRS needed my money more than I did!

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Search the archives for Mark Eberhardts (user mk e) supercharged 308 projects. He ran 2 different setups for a couple of years each before setting off to build a custom Ferrari based V12 for his 308.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike