Tuning up for Spring road trips? What is on your to do list? | FerrariChat

Tuning up for Spring road trips? What is on your to do list?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Allen S., Jan 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Jeka and MvT like this.
  2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice Job!
    Myself I will be placing a new fuse board from Guido!

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I need to fix a sticky, finicky, no op ignition switch.

4. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I imagine a fuse board replacement is in my future but so far so good. Most of the old corroded relays have been replaced. Also fixed the burnt connector that everyone seems to have an issue with. Looking forward to hearing how it improves functions for you.

5. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    yeah, got to get that working good. Nothing like being parked at some shady joint you probably shouldn't be then not being able to fire up the Ferrari to get hell down the road.

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Bosch plugs...hmm, NGK Iridium are more adequat for the job and lasting longer. Opinions ?
    Guido

7. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    I have replaced caps, rotors and leads this winter.
    Should I swap coils to? is there a replacement schedule on those?

8. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Guido, you are correct about the NGK lasting longer. I've gone through several sets of the NGK's over the years and in fact that is what I'll be taking out for the Bosch. With this tune-up since I'm installing new OEM Bosch Coils I was also able to get the Bosch XR4CS plugs that are listed in my owners manual. Reading about the XR4CS they are designed for high speed driving, WOT and racing applications. NGK's listed as everyday use. XR4CS obviously won't last as long but I'm certainly hoping the 3.4 will roar to life with the changes. Not saying it wasn't roaring in fact the car is very happy at WOT and high speed. Let's just see if I get a tick up on performance. Will let you know.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #9 moysiuan, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Just inspected and renewed the emissions evap hoses and vapour canister and related check valves...scheduled maintenance of these items is once every 30 years ;)

The design life of an auto ignition coil is at least 60 to 80,000 km, more typically much greater than 100,000 miles is a practical service life. It is really a design akin to a transformer. Unless you get some heat/moisture related short, it is not a routine replacement item. 30 to 50 years of lifespan for dry transformers would not be uncommon. Eventually heat cycling and embrittlement will cause a short. An engineer will tell you a transformer lasts until it fails. If it has not failed, it is still good!

That said, in the Mondial, each bank runs on a separate coil. If the coil fails, the engine can still run on the remaining 4 cylinders, quite smoothly actually, dumping raw fuel into one bank and setting the stage for a fire. That's why you have the "slow down" light on the dash, as the cat thermister detects a fuel inferno and warns you to stop driving. So while replacing the coils proactively has merit, in any event make sure your slow down light circuit is working, clean the thermister with a brass wire brush and put deoxit on the connection to the small computer that monitor things. New coils can fail too.

10. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    After talking with a couple of Mechanics lately about performance they had separately asked if I had replaced the coils. My response was should I be testing them? The answer was, "with the mileage and age (29) just replace them" Heat cycles, Vibration, Use and dirt will make them weak and begin to be the source for misfires". I picked up the two OEM new Bosch coils on Amazon for $50ea. I'm looking forward to feeling the change.

11. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Andy, thanks for this information. Yes, so I'm up for all the 30 year maintenance and replacement bits. Looks like my to-do list will grow in the next year for sure with MY89. So worth it:D

12. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    On a T they are reasonable priced, but on a 3.2 they are about 300$ each.

13. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Wow! My 2 x coils and plugs = $125 total. When I was looking on the web for mine I saw prices $49 - $300ea. Never did price out Ferrari.

14. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    What Ferrari model do you have? and can you post the amazon part no for the Bosch Coils? I am always looking to replace older parts. Can someone refer me to the fuse box replacement manufacture? When you replace the fuse box do you get the benefit of using new style fuses and relays? Like a standard $10 Bosch relay in lieu of the $300 old style fuel pump relay I am finding on the internet.

15. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I have the 1989 Mondial t Coupe. OEM Bosch part #00136.

16. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Want to add that my Plug wires had been replaced 3 years ago with Magnecor replacements. So originals were 26 years old and in brittle condition. Image Unavailable, Please Login

PBonneau likes this.
  17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I first thought those where the Magnecor replacements....after 3 years ! :confused:

Guido

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You might want to change your extenders too! or at least check them on burn pins in the plastic. Little small black spots

19. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Next week I start on mine. Ferrari February this time around is creature comforts:
    1. Clean and repair window motors and install the boosters
    2. Repair the AC and put a new sanden compressor in.
    3. Remove and clean the blower motor assembly.
    4. Install the steering rack bushing
    5. Finishing my cup holder for the center console.
    6. Update my car seat mounts.
    7. Install 8 new fuel injectors.
    8. Fluid change , engine and gearbox.
    9. And find and mount a fire extinguisher

Since last winter I did the engine work, (rebuild the fuel system, clutch, flywheel, belts, hoses, plugs, wires etc.) This year is to keep the Mrs happy. Cleared my work schedule so I can put some solid days on it for once!

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jeka likes this.
  20. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    No results yet from my tune-up. I was pulled away from the garage to work on the honey-do list. Apparently it was a good weekend for transplanting roses and sowing seeds in the garden.:cool:

21. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Taking real good care of your ride. Nice.

22. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    This weekend I was able to service the K&N air filter, Install new plugs and Install new Coils. Spent a good amount of time cleaning. Coil bolts were rusty and corroded. Mounting points on frame were also corroded. Drove about 100mi and overall drive ability has definitely improved. Next on my list is to replace the 2 engine rev sensors. I hear these get tired, housing cracks due to age and use.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  24. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Insulation was falling off the old sensors. In bad condition just as I thought. Now I'm trying to get the new sensors mounted with a gap 0.35 - 0.90 to the tooth wheel. I believe I need a spacer or two to get above the minimum 0.35.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    New sensors are in and the car is off the stands. Will fire it up this week and do the test run. Gap to the tooth wheel is 0.68 for for both. Similar to the originals before taking them out.