LANCIA | FerrariChat

LANCIA

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Igor Ound, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #1 Igor Ound, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Commemorative thread about a great dying brand. All I wanted as a kid was a Lancia Delta Integrale, more than any Ferraris. Hope one day they come back to their former glory.

Clarkson about Lancia vs Audi on the grand Tour

Attached Files:

starmoto likes this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I would like a Stratos or 037 as much as some Ferrari's, but this was a mass production based hatch. Still nice and a cool car but not like a Ferrari to me at all.

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #3 Igor Ound, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    As a kid fast lancias were the only cars I ever wanted. There was something truly magical about them and breaks my heart it’s ending up this way.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

etmracing, flat_plane_eddie and NEP like this.
  4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Lancia hanging on in Europe with declining sales:-

1990 - 300 087
    2000 - 173 758
    2010 - 99 671
    2016 - 67 059
    2017 Jan-Nov: 57 481

5. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Gimme one of the two dozen or so Lancia Hyena Zagato

6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Unfortunately Lancia has been limited to an Italy only brand as far as I know. It's quite a shame because it has such history. If the revival of Alfa Romeo was more on time and going slightly better, I think sweater man would ponder reviving Lancia, as well.

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I can't even believe they sold 57 thousand cars last year. Probably to rental companies....

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Agreed long

Agreed long gone from the UK and most European countries, with sales winding down from the remaining few, including Italy.

3139 Ypsilon's sold in Italy during December 2017, bringing the annual total up to 60 321, a decline of -8,13% from 2016 Ypsilon sales of 65 656.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sadly, I think Lancia is destined to become another Oldsmobile or Pontiac.

11. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    Fiat seems to have decided that there's no place for the Lancia brand in their worldwide portfolio. If the company doesn't make them, then no one can buy them. It is sad to see a historic company fade away, especially one that has produced such gorgeous cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I thought the Fulvia I once drove had the best steering of any car, ever. Then I drove a Delta integrale!

flat_plane_eddie and Igor Ound like this.
  12. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They need to cash in on nostalgia and take the Ypsilon rallying with a Martini sponsorship deal.

13. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They need to do a new Stratos and Delta.

MK1044 likes this.
  14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don’t understand what was the thinking behind spending a lot of money to revive the pretty irrelevant and unknown abroad Abarth brand while letting a legendary world rally manufacturer with plenty of historic relevance die.

15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Abarth is just a trim/performance upgrade today, isn't it? That's a lot different than a completely different company such as Lancia. I still don't think it should be left to die but the money needed for Lancia is much greater than having an Abarth package.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    True but until not long ago there were talks of abarth having their own exclusive cars and they are currently the only FCA badges seen in rally when Lancia has such history?

17. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT

Lancia's post Stratos rally history (037, delta S4, delta Integrale) is also Abarth history. The 037 and S4 were 100% Abarth designed. The delta integrale is based on a production car but turned into the rally success that it was by Abarth.

Starting with its acquisition by Fiat in 1971, Abarth became the de facto motorsport arm of the Fiat Group (except for Ferrari), responsible for motorsport development for Fiat, Lancia and then Alfa Romeo. Fiat acquired it because Abarth already had a terrific racing history, especially in the smaller displacement classes. It was a motorsport focused manufacturer like Osca and perhaps Porsche. Far from irrelevant and definitely well known to many, many racing fans.

Yes, Abarth's revival is more about marketing. It's like Mercedes slapping AMG badges left and right but with a lot more history...

18. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    So when as a kid you lusted for fast Lancias you, not knowingly, also lusted for Abarths - the 037 for example has no fewer that 3 Abarth emblems plus three bold red Abarth inscriptions on the engine...

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I know all this but if it didn’t make sense then putting the Abarth emblem front and centre at the expenses of the Lancia one, why does it need reviving when there’s no money for Lancia? Would you rather own a Fiat Abarth or a Lancia?

20. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I'd go for Lancia Abarth but it's not an option. Bringing back Abarth in the form they have is easy and cheap and complements their line. Historically there has been been a significant overlap between Lancia, Alfa and Maserati so keeping all three is tough. That's why they kept going out business...

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Nobody forced fiat to buy all three in the first place so don’t think it’s a good excuse for giving up on one. They just fxxked up and that’s sad.

22. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Fiat bought them when they were on the verge of bankruptcy. Doesn't mean fiat didn't mess up a whole lot of stuff but they would likely have disappeared a long time ago if fiat had not stepped in. Anyways, I'm afraid that at this point in time Lancia's only hope might be a Chinese company to buy the brand and pour a bunch of money in it, sort of like what happened with Volvo.

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    True. Would be painful to watch but not as painful as seeing the brand disappear. Even better would be a private group of investors with an important technical partnership like Aston Martin/Mercedes.

24. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I like to dream that there is still a place in the Fiat line-up for Lancia... differentiating themselves from Fiat / Alfa by going back to their deep historical roots of offering highly engineered and sophisticated platforms, at a premium, to discriminating customers.. (maybe in small batches using flexible production scheduling to use excess capacity at some of Fiat's plants). Might this business model succeed even with low volume - with the right strategic partnerships, flexible platform engineering, and bespoke styling?

I see the problem as being that of differentiating the brand from the field of competitors, finding the right niche that fits the brand. Very tough to solidify a positive brand association in the bigger US or Chinese markets..

Marchionne has spoken, sadly.