Best world places you have been? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best world places you have been?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rob lay, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
  2. Richard Fulton

Oct 15, 2013
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Fulton
    Uzbekistan in Central Asia, not for the novice traveler, incredible history, it was on the ancient silk route from China, Marco Polo, Gengis Knan. They have 4 UNESCO world heritage sites. These cities go back 2000 years, Khiva, Bukara and Samarkand. You have to be a real adventurer to go here !!! Worth it…..

3. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Drove from Jackson Hole Wyoming down to Scottsdale Arizona, stopping at some wonderful hotels, especially the Aman in Utah.....straight out of a Bond movie. For someone from the relatively crowded UK, the space, views, landscape/national parks etc were breathtaking. US road trips take some beating.

4. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    #54 indaville, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Agreed. As a NYC boy, the first time I drove out in the western US, the enormity of Big Sky country blew my mind...T

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Anybody know why my pictures are upside down? Anyway to fix that?

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    iStuff... it happens.

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

"The only problem is that when you hold your camera with the volume buttons pointing up, your photos will be upside down on most Windows machines."

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    alternate 'beach' with rocks instead of sand and rough surf that was dangerous but so much fun -

rio magiore, one of the towns in cince terre, italy. great scenery, hiking, food, shopping too

11. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Call me simple but I have never been disappointed with southern Florida. It has a great climate, cheap, and low key. Theres a reason why people come from all over the world to stay in Naples, Ft myers, Miami, etc. I Was in Dubrovnik Croatia in 2008 and loved it. Off the map, beautiful ocean side, beautiful buildings, CLEAN. It was a real treat compared to other more traveled areas.

12. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    There is no "best place" overall.

i really enjoyed four weeks at the hawaiian islands but would not miss

- the unique Venice in the more quiet season
    - climbing Kilimanjaro to the top including Serengeti und other reserves
    - Stromboli Volcano
    - a trip around Sicily
    - the breathtaking landscapes of Utah and Arizona, biking slick rock trail
    - skiing in the austrian alps
    - southern England with a trip to the Goodwood Revival Meeting
    - The Breakers Hotel and Mar a Lago with Cavallino Classic
    - the wine area of southern Styria (Austria)
    - Tobago
    - the small towns of Tuscany like Pienza, Montepulciano
    - not to forget Vienna
    - the photo platform at Monza´s Parabolica during Ferrari Historic Challenge

...and many more great destinations

13. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I just got back from HK, and Macau...spent new years and another week, haven't been there in 10 years and a lot changed, I will be back soon had a great time the food, culture, shopping were top notch!

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Very cool. I've dreamt for years about visiting Hong Kong, Macau, & Guangzhou...T

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #65 arizonaitalian, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    I think about this as coolest places in several different "buckets":

Natural beauty:
    Patagonia (Chile or Argentina side)
    New Zealand (south island)
    Banff/Jasper
    Victoria Falls
    Tasmania

Historical Interest:
    Crete
    Florence
    India
    Israel
    Machu Pichu
    Vienna
    Istanbul

Food/Wine/Nightlife:
    Tel Aviv
    New York
    London
    Buenos Aires
    Barcelona

Relaxation/hang out for a longer period of time:
    Liguria
    New Zealand (South Island)
    Hawaii (several Islands)

Women (sorry, couldn't resist):
    Buenos Aires
    Krakow

I've travel 3-6 months a year the last 14 years...but there is so much left on my list...just a small dent so far! This thread will give me some ideas, keep your input coming!

Bas likes this.
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My foreign travel has been very limited so far: Canada, the Bahamas, England. I plan to travel a lot more after I retire at the end of next year.

On the other hand, I did live 9 years in Puerto Rico. Not really "foreign", but certainly different!

And this August I plan to visit Alaska for the first time. Should be fun!

17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im back in Hong Kong. I love it. Leave me here forever :)

Attached Files:

Schatten and Bas like this.
  18. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I am looking for advice on traveling to India. My daughter and husband loved it, especially Southern India. Said the north was mostly about seeing the Taj, and it is smaller than you think it will be. We have another couple prodding us to go with them next January or February, when the heat is not quite as bad. My son in law said he had trouble visualizing me sweating around India, carrying my toilet paper with me.

We are going to have dinner with another couple that have been twice, so anxious to hear their thoughts. We are planning at least 10 days, but might do 2 weeks there. Any info is welcome, as well as how you flew to get over there ?

19. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    We loved our 10-day trip through India....Mumbai, Delhi, Agra, Goa, Jaipur. Best advice I can give you is to stay in the absolutely best hotels you can possibly afford. We stayed at TAJ hotels and Oberoi hotels...the Oberoi Rajvillas in Jaipur was probably the nicest hotel I’ve ever been to in my well-travelled life. Hotels in India are no place to try to save a buck or two.

And, by the way, the Taj Mahal is totally incredible.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  20. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I am partial I freely admit that and while there are more places I'd like to see...I have to say that for myself
    the continent of Europe has been like DisneyLand for me....especially Italy, France, Switzerland & Germany....
    the history, culture, food, people & beauty are stunning.,.

Attached Files:

sverduzco likes this.
  21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #71 arizonaitalian, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Sigh, India. I "should" love it, heck its where my family is from. I've been there many times starting at age 5. Last time was the proverbial "take Dad back to see his roots" trip 15 years ago. I haven't been back. My GF loves it so I may have to return...

A few quick thoughts based on your comments and few things that popped to mind:

- The bit about "north" being mostly about the Taj is simply wrong. India is a big country and each region has some amazing things to see. I most definitely would not rule out the north. But one must construct a doable itinerary for the amount of time they have (more on that in a moment).
    - The bit about the Taj being "smaller than you think" is hard to fathom. I haven't met anyone that doesn't marvel at the Taj (and I don't think I want to meet someone who didn't)
    - The bit about taking your own TP with you is 100% accurate. Heck, I take my own even in Europe. My GF loves India and constantly asks to return, but I keep picturing how I'm going to get a porta-potty to follow me around attached to a tuk tuk or something.
    - The bit about "sweating" I realize wasn't literal, but did remind me say that it is actually cold in the north that time of year. So pack accordingly if you venture up there.
    - The comment by another poster about staying in great hotels like the Taj or Oberio chain is spot on if you are a travel-primma donna like me and get curled toes easily.

Ok, so, highlights of India imho and based on my experience (perhaps in no order):

Amritsar
    Taj and area sites
    Dehli area sites (there are many, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g304551-Activities-New_Delhi_National_Capital_Territory_of_Delhi.html#ATTRACTION_SORT_WRAPPER)
    Jaipur area
    South temples (many places, not that close, so you should pick 1 or 2 in Tamil Nadu or Kerala)
    Himalayas (Darjeeling is interesing, as is Shimla, Kashmir is amazing, but I guess a "no go" zone now)
    Ganges (varinasi etc) is not my thing, but some people find it interesting
    Goa - I've not been, but its up on my list.

Obviously 10-14 days is not enough time to see a country that is 1/3 the landmass size of Europe (and has nearly as many kingdoms as countries in Europe), has and had many separate empires/societies with different religions and thus different monuments, worship places etc. It would be like trying to see everything in Europe in a matter of weeks or months. Frankly it would take far longer to visit India than to visit everything in the USA (we have a small fraction of the history, far more open space and are a far more heterogeneous people).

Anyways, my point is you will be choosing which "small slice" of India to see, so your experience will be largely based on that choosing.

So..10-14 days...you use up 1 day traveling in each direction. So its really 8-10 days in country. You will use up a few days if you travel between regions. So I'd construct an itinerary that stays mostly in one region.

For a 10-14 day trip, my recommendation (and I'm from South India) would be to get ~3 days in each of these:

- Dehli area (lots of historical sites)
    - Taj area (there are a lot of major historical sites here)
    - Jaipur
    - South Temples (if you have 14 days - or 12 days in country- then you could add this and still get 3 days in each of these places)

Oh, re your question on Travel, there are many great routings on all the major carriers. Looks like Dallas does not have a nonstop, but you can go to a few major USA cities and fly nonstop, or you could connect in Europe or Middle East. If you are open to any airline (not tied to one loyalty program), I'd consider Middle East carriers like Emirates or Eitihad or Qatar. Otherwise United goes there or you can take British Air or Lufthansa from Dallas to LHR or FRA/MUC and connect there. Its 1 stop to any of the major cities for you regardless it looks like.

Anyways, there are my rambling thoughts. Let us know what you decide!

71Satisfaction likes this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Kruger National Park in South Africa. Beautiful place and I've wanted to visit again ever since my trip ended. I'm not a city person so I don't really plan trips around man made stuff...

Everyone needs to make an effort to go there once in their life. The night safari is amazing and somehow topped the day one, which I didn't think was possible.

Bas, arizonaitalian and Randy R like this.
  23. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks for this thoughtful response. Here is a proposed itenerary, with comments from someone who grew up there as well. See what you think.

Day by day itinerary:
    Day 1 Monday, 14 January 2019
    Arrival / Delhi

Accommodation: The Oberoi Delhi (Luxury 5 star), Premier Plus

Day 2 Tuesday, 15 January 2019
    Delhi
    Accommodation:
    The Oberoi Delhi
    Meals: Breakfast
    After breakfast, enjoy your private tour of the capital today. Start with the visit to Old Delhi to see Jama Masjidand then a unique glance at local life by an exploration to the bustling local bazaar of Chandni Chowk on rickshaw.
    Pass by Red Fort before driving to New Delhi for Qutub Minar. Continue to Raj Ghat and Humayun Tomb, drive along the city landmark of India Gate, President's House, Parliament House & Government Secretariat Buildings and stop for photo opportunity there. Finish today with an insight into the local religion at a colorful Hindu Temple- Laxmi Narayan Temple.
    --Jama Masjid: India's largest mosque
    --Chandni Chowk:The largest trading center of North India,
    --Raj Ghat: a memorial to Mahatma Gandh
    --Qutub Minar:
    --Humayun Tomb:
    --Laxminarayan Temple:

Day 3 Wednesday, 16 January 2019
    Delhi / Agra
    Transfer via:
    Private vehicle, arranged by Odyssey Tours
    Accommodation: The Oberoi Amarvilas (Luxury 5 star), Premier Room
    After breakfast and hotel checkout, head to Agra by private A/C vehicle (4-5 hours) with your private driver. Stopover for coffee break or photo opportunities are at your request any time en-route. On arrival check in at hotel. In the late afternoon, Mehtab Bagh (Moonlight Garden), on the opposite side of the Yamuna River. It is a nice place to witness sunset at Taj Mahal.
    --Mehtab Bagh (Moonlight Garden):It lies north of the Taj Mahal complex and the Agra Fort on the opposite side of the Yamuna River. It is a nice place to witness the sunrise or sunset at Taj Mahal.

Day 4 Thursday, 17 January 2019
    Agra
    Accommodation:
    The Oberoi Amarvilas
    Rise early for a visit to the Taj Mahal in all its glory as the sun is rising, which is the best time to see this world-famous manmade wonder. Return to your hotel for breakfast and freshen-up. Afternoon visit Agra Fort and end your day at Itmad-ud-daulah (Baby Taj).

Note: Taj Mahal is closed on Friday.
    --Taj Mahal :
    --Taj Mahal at Sunrise:
    --Agra Fort:
    --Itmad-ud-daulah (Baby Taj):

Day 5 Friday, 18 January 2019
    Agra / Jaipur
    Transfer via:
    Accommodation: The Oberoi Rajvilas (Luxury 5 star), Premier Room

--Fatehpur Sikri:
    --Abhaneri Step Well (no need guide service):

Day 6 Saturday, 19 January 2019
    Jaipur
    Accommodation:
    The Oberoi Rajvilas
    Today you have a full day private tour of Amer Fort and Jaipur city.

Note: Elephant ride ascent to the hill top of Amber Fort is available and you can alter the jeep ride to it if you like. However, it is not recommended as Odyssey doesn't suggest any elephant ride or animal performance in our tours.
    --Amber Fort :
    --Sheesh Mahal (Mirror Palace):
    --Hawa Mahal (Wind Palace):
    --City Palace Museum:
    --Jantar Mantar Observatory:

Day 7 Sunday, 20 January 2019
    Jaipur / Udaipur
    Transfer via:
    Accommodation: Oberoi Udaivilas (Luxury 5 star), Premier Room
    After breakfast drive to Udaipur by private A/C vehicle (6-7 hours). stopover for coffee break or photo opportunities are at your request any time en-route. On arrival check in at hotel, afternoon is free for your rest.

YOU ARE GIVING UP A DAY IN THE CAR…WHY NOT FLY OR TAKE A TRAIN? IST GOING TO BE 6-7 HOURS AT 40MPH….THIS IS NOT FREEWAY STUFF

Day 8 Monday, 21 January 2019
    Udaipur
    Accommodation:
    Oberoi Udaivilas
    This morning, you first wander through the markets and bazaars to visit the Jagdish Temple. Followed by a visit to the City Palace. Then relax on a one hour long shared motor boat ride on Lake Pichola. Afterwards you will head to Garden of the Maids of Honour and Folk Art Museum. Finish the day by a unforgettable sunset visit to the Sajjan Garh Palace (Monsoon Palace).
    --City Palace:
    --Lake Pichola:
    --Garden of the Maids of Honour: of Rajasthan.
    --Sajjan Garh Palace (Monsoon Palace):

Day 9 Tuesday, 22 January 2019
    Udaipur / Mumbai / Cochin (Kochi)
    Transfer via:
    Flight, economy class, arranged by Odyssey Tours(TBA,00:00-00:00)
    Accommodation: Taj Malabar Resort & Spa, Kochi (Willingdon Island) (Deluxe 5 star), Superior Charm Harbour View(Tower Wing)

Day 10 Wednesday, 23 January 2019
    Cochin (Kochi)
    Accommodation:
    Taj Malabar Resort & Spa, Kochi (Willingdon Island)
    After breakfast start your exploration of Fort Cochin and Mattancherry.

Optional activity: In the evening you can choose to enjoy Kerala's signature performance of Kathakali, a classical form of dance, drama and music that is more than 400 years old.
    --Dutch Palace (Mattancherry Palace):
    --St. Francis Church:
    --Pardesi Synagogue & Jew Town:
    --Chinese fishing nets:

Day 11 Thursday, 24 January 2019
    Cochin (Kochi) / Alleppey
    Transfer via:
    Accommodation: Spice Routes (Deluxe 4 star), Premium Houseboat 2 bedroom

--Houseboat:One of the most tranquil and relaxing things you can do in Kerala is take a trip in a houseboat along the palm-fringed Kerala canals.Embark on your houseboat and start an enchanting cruise along the backwater; just relax and lay back while navigate slowly through the tranquil waterway is a wonderful opportunity to discover the true Kerala’s rural lifestyle. Kerala is also known for its cashew nuts, coir trade, rice, pepper crops & coconuts. Your chef in houseboat will prepare you a delicious Kerala specialities on board.
    --Kerala Backwaters:
    Day 12 Friday, 25 January 2019
    Alleppey / Kovalam
    Transfer via:
    Accommodation: Taj Green Cove Resort & Spa, Kovalam (Luxury 5 star), Superior Charm Garden View
    After breakfast on the houseboat, disembark at Alleppey and say goodbye to backwater then head to Kovalam, a world-renowned beach with three adjacent crescent beaches. Upon arrival, check in to the hotel.

Day 13 Saturday, 26 January 2019
    Kovalam
    Accommodation:
    Taj Green Cove Resort & Spa, Kovalam
    Today you have a free day to relax at the hotel.

Day 14 Sunday, 27 January 2019
    Kovalam / Trivandrum / Exit
    Transfer via:
    Flight, arranged on your own

24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Umm...wow. If you guys are up for that Itinerary, its pretty close to what I recommended above:

For a 10-14 day trip, my recommendation (and I'm from South India) would be to get ~3 days in each of these:
    - Dehli area (lots of historical sites)
    - Taj area (there are a lot of major historical sites here)
    - Jaipur
    - South Temples (if you have 14 days - or 12 days in country- then you could add this and still get 3 days in each of these places)

That's a lot of ground and sites to cover in a small amount of time...but, there are loads of "wow's" and millions of goosebumps in that itinerary.

It might be one of those trips where you return more tired than before you left, but I cannot imagine how mental and digital pictures you will retain. (that reminds me, be sure to have some way to download pics on your camera and/or phone to be able to fill up the memory again).

I think the hotels will be very good. I agree with the comment in caps to attempt to avoid long days spend driving between regions. Fwiw, last time I did the Dehli, Agra, Jaipur triangle, we did it all by car with driver. It wasn't that bad and you see some "interesting" things when you get out of the major cities and see how the vast majority of people live. Oh, I see "Mumbia" on there, I presume that is merely to change planes? (good idea if so). There should be a direct flight somewhere though...

Reading the itinerary made me want to return to India...for a moment...thankfully its passing :)

Enjoy!

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Fantastic and "relatively easy" place to see the animals. That place is full of the most spectacular "hotels" I've seen. The place we stayed was unreal (and unreal expensive so I doubt I'll get to stay there again). While hopefully in a less costly lodge, I hope to go back someday with my GF (last time was with my parents to take my elderly Father on his bucket list trip, also included my then college age nephew to help out with caring for the P's and such). Next time for the romantic trip with Ania. Can't wait.

Bas likes this.