458 or new GT3 | FerrariChat

458 or new GT3

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robo Squirrel, Jan 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robo Squirrel

Robo Squirrel Karting

Mar 4, 2011
    Hey guys, so I have an allocation for a new GT3. The "market adjustment" puts my build in pre-owner 458 territory, so I am considering the 458 instead. I have a few questions:

1. My GT3 will be a manual. I'm a hardcore manual guy and I've never owned anything with flappy paddles. Former 3 pedal guys....do you miss rowing your own?

2. I track my cars...about 3-5 times a year. How is the 458 as a track car? How quickly does it go through consumables (brakes/tires). Does the car continue to feel robust after track days? I am now running in the advanced group at most tracks. I know Porsches take a beating and keep asking for more.

3. I'm a bit of car car Schizo....I've had about 20 cars and Im only 33. This purchase (458 or GT3) will be a big one for me. I need to make sure its the right one. I don't want to be trying to get something else in a year or 2....and my better half will kill me for sure, lol. Do you all think I will be happy with a 458 long term?

4. Maintenance: Will I regret my purchase due to maintenance costs? Obviously tracking the car will require more upkeep. I plan on doing easy stuff like oil changes and replacing brake pads and such myself. I'll probably take the CF rotors off and set them aside and use steel for the track. Those CF rotors ain't cheap to replace every 5-8 track days.

Thanks Boys!

2. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    my vote 458 spider and the paddles are spot on.. you wont miss the rowing.. just my 2 cents.. either choice is a great one

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    You are old school. GT3 all the way. Especially since there is credible talk of this GT3 being the last gen of NA. Manual is a dying breed, too. You can spec it your way. Also, new warranty.

GT3 is such a track weapon - and a fun car to drive.

mthompson2376 and Shark01 like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    458 spider would not be at home on the track, only the Italia can be considered.
    It's still far less track-oriented than a GT3, but it's very well balanced and faster, and it's true the DCT is brilliant.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  5. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    For your driving purposes, you should get a 991.2 gt3 in manual.

bz458 and Shark01 like this.
  6. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's hard for me to say this, but .2 GT3 is 99 % Speciale for half the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Robo Squirrel

Robo Squirrel Karting

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks for the insight gentlemen!

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    For you, the gt3.

But I wouldn’t waste the premium money for sure. Just be patient. Ridiculous prices for avg Porsche’s these days.
    It’s just a 911 albeit new and improved.

I’ll enjoy a gt3rs and the below msrp prices soon.

mthompson2376 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    for your use, GT3 all the way, plus it will be under warranty. Just the manual preference is a no brainer
    To me, a ferrari needs to be pampered (just me), the car doesnt last as well on the track or abuse (just look at the samples from exotic racing experiences and rental agencies). Not saying you cant as I am sure there are many who treat their ferrari like a regular track toy. But just imagine the DCT having sensor problems will ruin your track day plus 5 digit repair bill. The 458 is a great well rounder though, fast, sexy looking, easy to drive, more presence than the porsche for sure. But as a driver's car, prob the porsche with the manual

Shark01 likes this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    GT3 is undoubtly a very consistent track choice, but I would argue that tracking 3-5 times a year is not the same as being rented everyday for track activity - so a 458 could still be considered.
    Tracking is always more expensive than road use anyway.

11. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    This is a tough one. I just bought an Italia but I've owned a 991 GT3 for 3 years and track it occasionally. To me the GT3 seems like a better tool for the job. In my opinion it's more built and purposed for track duty. I'm not implying that the 458 can't be useful or fun for track, but I think the maintenance and wear will be something to consider. For me, I plan to track my Italia once to see how she performs, but my GT3 is my tool. I also have a E36 full track car in manual. That is something I would recommend. For the money you can't go wrong. You get that fun visceral feeling and you won't care as much if you go off track or something. I'm only 3.5 seconds off my best time in my that vs. my GT3 and we're talking 200 hp difference and PDK vs manual...to give some perspective.

hamidmyh, of2worlds, dustman and 2 others like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    GT3 for track weapon and old-school rowing. 458 Italia for aural and visual pleasure. Both would be ideal. But if just one, GT3. I own all cars referenced herein, and will be taking delivery of a 991.2 GT3 this summer in Europe.

14. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Many people own a 458/488 and a Porsche whether it be a gt4, gt3, turbo or gt3rs.

They will bring the porsche to track.

15. Robo Squirrel

Robo Squirrel Karting

Mar 4, 2011
    great insight guys! i really appreciate it :)

16. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    I would see if you could try a pdk gt3 on the track before you order the manual; to me, there is no going back to a manual once you experience a proper paddle shift gearbox under track conditions;

Pazzo009 likes this.
  17. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Own both . No question new Gt3 for track weapon . I’d even argue new Gt3 with Pdk is faster on most tracks

Pazzo009 likes this.
  18. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Porsche GT3 for you....and me :). Hardcore variations of a model range are always the best driving experiences!

socialpro1 likes this.
  19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    As the owner of both myself, if I had to make a choice as to which one I'd take on the track, without hesitation it would be the GT3 (with PDK).

of2worlds, Shadowfax and Pazzo009 like this.
  20. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Good luck on your choice .......I just sold my RS above MSRP because I didn’t have the time to track the car like it should be in that environment. First, I wouldn’t pay over for a GT3 now RS is a different story. GT3 is not a 200k car, but I’m not one to spend another mans cash. The last two years I’ve owned and sold my GT3 and RS ....the RS is the real deal, but I wouldn’t daily drive them on the street very harsh, and both those cars are fun well above the speed limit.

I have a MSRP allocation which I passed on the GT3 one I have a hard buying the same car twice, and Spyder manual is way more fun on the street than my GT3. However track it’s nothing like a RS or GT3, so I think if you think 3 to 5 Times is good you have your answer .......but street driving is not fun. Good luck. Over MSRP at 200k Porsche has lost their minds on ADM because you will lose every dime on a GT3 ....after two years I got MSRP for my GT3 which is a deal in itself.

Shadowfax and Pazzo009 like this.
  21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    used Performante in about a year....depreciation is your friend.

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

Average cost of non adm 991.2 Gt3 is around 175k. Many are in the high 180s so I don’t think 200k for a new 991.2 Gt3 is too far off . Also the new Gt3 is faster than the 991.1 Gt3 rs on the track and more liveable on the street. The new 4.0 liter is almost identical to the Gt3 cup car. Not to mention the new Gt3 is likely the last NA Gt3. The new Gt3 is the real deal. I loved my 458 though. Beautiful , sounds great and visceral .

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #23 Shadowfax, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Storm-trooper raises a very valid point; the GT3 is NOT the easiest car to live with (harsh). As tempting as a brand new 4.0 GT3.2 would be vs a used 458 of earlier tech, only 3 to 5 track days per year (may) well push me more towards the 458 because it has more "wow" than the 3 and would be much easier to live with as a daily, yet still VERY competent on the open country road. PS. Having owned numerous manual 911's, and always being a manual Porsche guy at heart (up until now), I would also take the PDK over the manual especially for track. Never thought I would say that before, but the PDK in 991 series has totally convinced me it's better suited to the new 911 chassis and equally if not more fun anyway.

24. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Sort of kind this is Porsche selling cars. Both cars push 500hp, and the GT3 has sticker tires upgraded. GT3 is marginal on the street because the front spoiler is so low, and you go slow down for every bump it’s ok if that tolearable. I do agree GT3 is good at MSRP because Porsche will produce many, and some just what to be the first to market. If I get another I will old out for the RS .....long term RS will always do better than the GT3 if that’s your thing. I gave up on ring time numbers because they average driver will not get close to the limit in a GT3 or RS. Porsche is driving a wedge with long time buyers with selling cars to friends and they sell bloc used and Porsche dealer add a 30k ADM for a used car. ADM on GT2RS is 150k plus if you’re not in the know.

25. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    The Spyder is the car I decided to keep, one it’s a 2800 lbs rocket with a GT4 tranny and 3.8L mid engine a blast to drive. Only 800 in the states and they trade above MSRP only produced in 2016 in this configuration, and only came in a manual. Porsche dealers frequently ask me to sell it back, and no way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.