246 GTS fit issue (HELP!) | FerrariChat

246 GTS fit issue (HELP!)

Discussion in '206/246' started by Scotty, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Hi all. I have a friend, who after much persuassion, took the plunge into Ferrari ownership. He has been a vintage Porsche fan for decades, and has always loved the look of the 246. Unfortunately, he had never sat in one before he purchased.

The issue is that he is about 6'5" tall, with about a 35" inseem. His kneecaps are above the hub of the steering wheel, and impede his access to the shifter. He certainly understands the Italian driving position issues, but as it stands now he really can't do much more than motor slowly down the street.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, or contacts regarding possible seat track extensions and or replacing the driver's seat with a thinner racing type (Sparco or similar)? I suspect part of the issue is that there just isn't enough room in the cockpit, regardless of the mods made.

Thanks in advance for your collective help and advice.

Scott

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the gts one of the few ferrari's that i haven't had to slide the seat all the way back. if you remove the targa from behind the seats, they will slide a few more inches. even at 6'5", you should be able to find a position that will work.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

He bought the car before driving it, or even sitting in it? Wow now something to add to a PPI - aaaaw, yeah check and see if a 6 ft 5 inch person w/ a 35 inch inseam can drive it.

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Was this the first Dino post?

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Cobra do a historic racing car seat and mounting kit that may do the job. you might have to do some fabrication works but the 246 seat isn't the best in any event, I find it too small across the shoulders.

6. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson