330 GTC sunroof | FerrariChat

330 GTC sunroof

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by F40org, Jan 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
    Is it known how many of the 600 GTC were delivered with sunroof?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I'd like to know also!!
    I would love to have one in mine.

Bob Z.

3. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    I've always been under the impression that the only options offered were AC and Borranis. I suppose that a sunroof could be special ordered but I don't recall ever seeing one

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    My guess is zero.

5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    interesting, my 330GT car i purchased from the orig owner gave me a letter from Ferrari
    that addressed his request to add a sunroof to the car when it was ordered. The response
    from Ferrari was that their engineering dept has evaluated this and said the it was structurally
    compromised and they would not be able to do this.

The letter is on Ferrari letterhead and obviously in italian. They went on to further state that
    as a result, the balance of XX amount was due for the car .....

i can find and post the letter if anyone is interested.

375+ and F40org like this.
  6. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
    Thank you Ed for this information.
    Could you post the letter, please.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #8 peterp, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Interesting examples. I've never heard of this as a option, but I agree the work on these looks good enough to be factory. I'm not sure if it's just camera angles or not, but the sunroof on the red car looks quite a bit shorter than the one on the silver car, so maybe they are just well-done aftermarket installs (or Ferrari built each to different specs).

To me, the sunroofs look out of place -- just seems "too new" to fit the body style.

8. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
    Peter,

I think also that it looks like they are different sizes. Could be an aftermarket solution. It is electrically operated.
    At the first pictures with the open roof the construction inside looks a little to massive for factory made in the sixties.

375+ likes this.
  9. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree with zero. To my knowledge all US bound cars had A/c and wires and all European cars had Mags and no A/c. I believe dual oil coolers was also offered and then made standard after a while.

F40org likes this.
  10. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Those look like they use the same sunroof hardware that were on that era 911's.

F40org likes this.
  11. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm not an expert, but my '66 330 GTC (s/n 8833; 20th built) was delivered to its first customer in Torino, Italy and has factory A/C and wires. Confirmed from Marcel in my Massini report. My period Becker radio is possibly a dealer install - not sure how to know. As for my oil coolerv - it's built into the bottom of the radiator - not a separate unit. Patrick Ottis cares for my car for me and he believes all this to be original.

F40org likes this.
  12. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Mine is built into the radiator also.
    That is very interesting, how did you come to that knowledge? I wish we could easily get the basic build sheet for our cars instead of having to go the full blown Classiche route.

13. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I sold my car, But I had the original build sheets which went with it.It was all in Italian though. My car was delivered in europe at Rob Box, in Switzerland, sans oil coolers and they were retrofitted, for which I was glad. ss 9671. My car was ex Dyke Ridgely and the information regarding the options available comes from him. I don't doubt though that european cars could be delivered with Quote American options.One of my main problems during ownership was cooling and I had a commercial core fitted into the stock radiator space. it appeared as if it was the original and had the original cap and base, just more tubes per square inch.

F40org likes this.
  14. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    330GTC #10495 was US bound. No A/C. Wire wheels with square knock offs. It has the oil cooler in the lower radiator. It seems there are few hard rules on these cars.

F40org likes this.