1977 Maserati Merak SS - Bonhams Auction - Scottsdale AZ | FerrariChat

1977 Maserati Merak SS - Bonhams Auction - Scottsdale AZ

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gcmerak, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Merak SS sells for $75 K USD. 10K original miles with a recent engine rebuild. Same owner for 38 years.
    Imagine that, an engine rebuild with only 10K on the odometer. The engine probably rusted from the inside out from siting unused for all those years.

Still, I Aint Complainin!

Ciao,
    George

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good strong price for any Merak in the US, promising:)

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Price record in the US?

4. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

GCMerak, the engine was in fact not rusted (as it's an all aluminum block and heads there is no way the entire engine could rust anyways, but that's besides the point). It was in great condition, as was the rest of the car. It had dropped a sodium-filled valve, so I had the engine pulled and rebuilt by Gary Bobileff and updated with stainless valves, and replaced the hoses and belts, changed the water pump, replaced the accessory shaft bearings and joint, and changed the clutch in the process.

This was a California car, always garaged, and never even in the rain. It was a clean original paint and interior survivor, with Webers tuned by yours truly and ran strong like a bat out of hell. The bidders were very discerning, and were very well educated about these cars and the market. Whoever purchased it got a great car.

Oh, and yes, from my research, it's a world record price for an actual SS sale at auction. The only one I can find that sold for higher was a group 4 racecar, but that's not a direct comp. There was one in Europe that was bid higher but it was a no sale.

All in all it was a good experience. I am happy with the hammer price and glad that the market is finally starting to give these cars the value they deserve.

Smurf likes this.
  5. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hello VF,

I'm glad to have you on the line. Your sale of the Merak is fantastic! This is great news for the Merak community and I for one congratulate you. I would be most interested if you would be so kind and confirm if it was the #1 or #6 exhaust valve that broke. Did it happen during start up or while driving? This would be very valuable information because inquiring minds want to know. Looking forward to your reply.

Ciao,
    George

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Strong euro? Big bumpers too!

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This was a fantastic Merak, period. I don’t know that there’s been another on the market in recent years to compare it to. Someone got an amazing car and frankly I thought it could have brought more than it did. Congrats to both VF and the buyer.

vfinaldi likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob, all,

The buyer was in touch with me after the auction and he is American so, no, the Euro value did not enter into the equation.
    More importantly he really appreciates what he now has:)

Best regards,

Marc

vfinaldi likes this.
  9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So it might stay here ...

10. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Gcmerak, I have no idea which one it was, but it did happen on startup. Although it was probably overkill, I opted for complete rebuild because I am a little OCD.

11. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Yep, Most of us are a OCD. Some a little bit more and some a little bit less.

Just Sayin!

Ciao,
    George