BICYCLES | Page 31 | FerrariChat

BICYCLES

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    This one is for Daniel :) Did a 75 mile solo ride this morning, through Camp Pendleton down along the coast - was a chilly 45 F around 8 am and warmed up to about 60s F.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Bah Humbug! Who wants to ride alongside the Pacific ocean on a sunny day anyway? I mean really.... isn't it better to stare at acres of brown, dead, tobacco fields and trees stripped bare of their leaves? And what fun is cycling on the road if you're not avoiding the black ice in shady areas?

It's this time of year (well, plus the other 364 days of the year too) that I'm crazy jealous of the SoCal folks. I don't want your government, crowds, or costs-of-living.... but I sure do envy the climate.

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Yeah, definitely a price to it.

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The 'build' phase of my winter with TrainerRoad has been rough. By rough, I mean, painful... and by painful, I really mean "crap fest". OK, let's just cut to the chase.... Vo2 work sucks the llamas ass. HR on the ragged edge of passing out, legs screaming in pain, etc. etc.

So, because there are no weight limits in my CAT 12 classification (!), I'm just going to "wallet-dope". My second saddle from Berk (in Slovenia) arrived today, and now both bikes with have this oh-so-plush 70-gram throne:

Kaisake and steved033 like this.
  5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    What’s the weight of your bikes?

6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

They are not weenie light.... I'm guessing just barely <7kg now. I'll weigh them tonight once I have the new saddle on.

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Cue the sad trombone music....

7.4 kg for the Di2 bike that has an 11/32. My 11/28 eTap bike was mounted to the trainer and I'm too lazy to unbolt it. I bet it's not much different -- boat anchor. :(

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That's 16.3 lbs - you should probably be able to get to 15 lbs without too much trouble, but how much will that 1 lbs help...? For most people it is more cost effective to shed some weight themselves, but if you are at 5% body fat, then you are already close to a minimum for what is healthy...

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ...unless the weight lost is from the wheels and tires.

Yes, endurance athletes need to take care not to overdo fat loss, especially with Winter training. As you age, body fat content will also increase. If you are 40+, your optimal body fat % will be closer to 10% even for top endurance athletes.

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I'm ordering a correct hanging scale today. Not sure it'll magically make a difference, but it must be better than the method I used last night.

And @4th_gear , keep that "40+" gibberish to yourself! Although I am indeed a child of the 1960's, I look in the mirror and want to believe I'm still 28.

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hah, I beat you as I beleeeve I'm still 16 and I don't look in the mirror any more. Power of imagination... delusion. :D

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    At 5% body fat I suggest getting the wallet out :) ;)

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, that is sorta porky - I thought you have a Dogma (F 8?) and Racing Zero wheels, Di2. That should be around 15, 15.5 lbs., unless you have Ultegra, which would explain it.

My training bike is around 17.8 lbs with fenders, extremely heavy wheels but my "fast bike" is only 14.25 lbs.

You could always ditch the seat and seat post, ride out of the saddle the full distance. :D

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#765 Ricambi America, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018

My other Pina is eTap with Fulcum. I'll weigh that one tonight.... it was on the trainer and I was too lazy to pull it off yesterday.

Indeed, the fatty (seen above) is Ultegra Di2 with a honking 11/32 pizza dish on the back. Wheels are HED Ardennes. I suspect part of the problem is that both bikes are running Quarz DZero power meters which are heavy, and both have much-too-heavy SRAM RED chain rings

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I've got some rebuilding to do in February. My 'fast' bike turns out to be lighter than my climbing bike! WTF. That DI2 long cage derailleur must be a complete fatopotamus. The eTap bike is more than 1/2 pound lighter!! (see pic below)

I'm ditching all my water bottles, spare tools, helmet, wedding ring, and maybe even remove my rear brake caliper.

(just kidding. What I'm really going to do is have some actual fun tearing everything apart, weighing it, and rebuilding anew. But first, I've got a 50 mile/5'000 ride tomorrow.)

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mmm. I started to wonder how accurate my hanging scale was. It's mechanical scale, not digital. I ran some tests on it against a high quality Japanese "food scale" I have and discovered it's pretty awful.

If anything their readings were about 1.5 lbs too low. That means my training bike is more like 19 lbs. and my fast bike is almost 16 lbs. This makes more sense as my fast bike has an aero frame and aero wheels, they're not light. My training bike is built like a trucks so 19 lbs feel right.

I hope your scales are more reliable than mine. :rolleyes:

18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#768 Ricambi America, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    F&*K the scale. Yesterday I did 60 miles with about 8'000 climbing. At the start of each climb (they were up-and-back climbs), I tossed my bottles on the roadside and just hammered up. Figuring each ascent was only about 15 minutes, I wasn't going to need water until I came back down.

I PR'd the biggest mountain in our region (a 2.2 mile, 7% average, cat 2 segment), taking about 3 seconds off my prior time. Is three seconds a big deal? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's faster than last time. VAM was 1142 (vert meters per hour). Segment time was 16:49 with a w/kg of 4.44. I'm not going to blame environmental conditions for failing to get significantly faster time.... but, the Park Service was doing a "controlled burn" on the mountain and there was a minute or two with heavy smoke which absolutely messed up my breathing pattern. Hopefully I'll be back on that climb in mid-February and we'll see if things improve.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I hear ya. 3 seconds off a 2.2 mile segment is significant but a lot of factors can do it including just "how you feel" that day. If you have more base numbers to compare against you will have a better gauge. It's certainly better than 3 seconds slower. 295W is impressive.

Meanwhile over here, I just got done shoveling the driveway. Good workout though. LOL.

20. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    8,000 feet?
    NC must be bumpier than I knew.

New to this forum, but certainly not new to bikes......................
    Still mostly lost in the 80's steel, but most upgraded all the way to 9/ 10 speed campy <grin>
    Just scored this on EBAY, I've wanted a Masi 3V for a long time.
    Still dialing it in and making it my own.

Since you're a roadie, I'll keep buying R&R parts from Ricambi.
    Ciao

Craig

21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

From the center of North Carolina and westward, there are some reasonable hills. The longer sustained climbs are closer to Tennessee and along the Blue Ridge Parkway, but within a few miles of my office we get some decent stuff too:

I'm a long way from any definition of "impressive" -- but I work pretty hard at improving, and despite my age fighting against me, I enjoy the challenge getting faster.

LOL! Is that all it takes? That Masi is pretty sweet -- looks semi-modern.. what year is it?

Kaisake likes this.
  22. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Masi is circa 1992.
    Thanks for including the Ricambi "baseball hat" with my most recent order.

23. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    A few more, I'll call them "old guy" up dates. Switched from the Shimano XTR M975 9 speed shifter to a XTR M980 ten speed with a long cage. Rear cassette is 11-34, but I have a 11-40 on the shelf. Switched to Magura RT8 hydraulic rim brake calipers operated by a single Shimano XTR M975 brake lever and a hydraulic brake splitter with a proportional valve for the front brake. Bike weight is 17.5 lbs.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’m back!
    My 38 minute commute last year has turned into 47.
    I need a winter trainer!
    Man it was a hard ride home. My ass hurts.

New Trek is fast. Overshot some apexes and have the scrapes to remind me to brake earlier :)
    Now I need my lungs and heart to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ricambi America likes this.
  25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino