360 Oil Change Filter Wrench | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Oil Change Filter Wrench

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sean F., Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Well, guess I'll have to order the Hill Eng filter tool.....

Ordered the USAG filter tool and it fit perfectly. However, there was an issue....but it's not a fault of the tool itself. I guess the sorry SOB that did my annual last time decided to install the filter without putting a light coat of oil on the oring......When I tried to remove the filter with the standard lever wrench and couldn't move it, I just attributed it to being at a bad angle. Not the case.

Tonight, I broke the spot welds off as it had been described before. The way I did this though what makes me think this is more a fault of installation than of the tool itself. I managed to break all the spot welds by putting my Dewalt 20v Max impact wrench with it's 1200 ft-lbs in reverse.....

Just for reference, I bought this to break the 400+ ft-lbs centerlock wheel nuts off if I was away from home....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nothing to do with oil on the seal - that is for sealing only. Likely over tightened.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yeah, I would have used a breaker bar, not an impact driver...that was surely going to bust those welds. Stamped steel tools are not going to withstand an impact driver. ;) But it has been posted before, the welded sheet metal filter tool is not very strong...people have broken them removing filters before.

Skidkid likes this.
  4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Regardless if a breaker bar was used or impact, spec for the filter is on 18 ft lbs of I recall....No reason for the filter to be that tight.

Next step is to weld the wrench back together and I will put a torque guage on it to see just how much it takes to break it loose....

As far as not putting oil on the sealing ring, I have had to drive a screwdriver into the filter itself and use a chisel on the head of the filter to turn them because the person before did not put a light coat of oil on the o ring.

f355spider likes this.
  5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Guess I didn't clarify....first attempt was standard 3/8 drive ratchet, second attempt was 24" 1/2 breaker bar. Third attempt was well, we know how that turned out...

f355spider likes this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I never skimp on tools. I treat myself to the best one for the job no matter the cost.
    Tell yourself, as I do, that it's justified since you're saving a significant amount of $$ as a DIY job. ;)

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Filters always seem to become tighter over time than when they were installed. I don't know the reason - perhaps the heat.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, the thermal cycles but I don't know if anyone has quantified the actual change.

That is exactly what I do and why I have a bunch of tools I rarely use. BUT, I do have that odd tool when I need it.

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Agreed, and i usually buy quality tools. Pretty sure this one was a quality tool as well, just not designed for impact use....cause who knew I'd have to break out a impact wrench for an oil filter! Ill go with thermal cycles to an extent, especially if it's been on there for a while. With this being right at I've year and 5000 miles, i'm not sure thermal cycles would be a factor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I got the wrench from Amazon and I’m waiting for my Oil Change kit from Ricambi.

I put the tool on the filter just to check the fit and it does go on the filter. I have not tried to remove anything yet. But just HOW do you get the filter out? I’m looking and there seems to be a lot of pipes and hoses in the way (coupe, not spyder). I assume I can snake it out and the new one in with out making too much of a mess.

11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    not my video but here's a good way to do it:

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm with you that the technician did not use a torque wrench to install and put in on much too tight. I have never had trouble removing an oil filter I have installed, but definitely struggled with both filters and drain plugs installed by dealer techs. BMW dealer even stretched the drain bolt from installing too tight on my BMW. I had issues with it after breaking it loose and it threaded back on really rough (I thought they stripped the threads on the pan)...ended up having to go get a new drain bolt from the dealer.

13. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have three 430 oil filter wrenches..... a cheap one, a good one and a gooder one.

Ghostdiver and f355spider like this.
  14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Thankfully they didn't do that to the drain plugs...

f355spider likes this.
  15. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey

Here is a picture of the oil drain plug I removed from my 430 which was serviced previously at a well known South Florida dealer. As you can see from the pic, the threads are stretched and separated due to over torqueing of the plug. Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm sure he (the dealer tech) just installed it per the MM. Of course we've had other threads discussing the fact that the torque defined in the MM is about 3 times too much for the brass plug.

17. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Thanks for that.

Stupid me...had everything ready to go and did not realize I do not have a 12mm and 14mm HEX. Only had a 2-hour window so no time to get to store and back and get oil changed.

Did find out I do not have to remove the entire floor as mine has the rubber grommets on the floor to facilitate draining the oil.

I’m having a shop do ALL fluids every other year and I’m just doing oil/filter the other years. Having two hydraulic jacks also makes it a lot easier to lift up/down.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Should be warmer later this week so hopefully I can get it done.

Also, big shout out to Daniel from Ricambi. My Change kit never showed up (10+days) and he shipped out another one too me right away. They both of course showed up on the same day! He tried to refuse payment for the 2nd but I insisted he take the $$ and I'll just keep the 2nd one for next time.

f355spider likes this.
  18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Holy cow, that oil comes out like a firehose, next time leave the fill cap on to slow it down

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Just did my annual and couldn't find my oil tool for anything....called around, checked Toyota who say's on their website they use an 86/18 but after 3 hours driving around etc, I bought a universal thinking I would try it. Guess where I found the tool...on the freaking filter in the car from last year...getting old is hell!

20. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    LOL!! gotta admit, that's pretty funny!

BrettC likes this.
  21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #46 BrettC, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    This video is incorrect. The 360 motor has 2 oil drain plugs. One in front and the other in his video he calls it the transaxle. I have two engine plug drains and another further back for the transaxle service. Am I wrong? This must be the 430 as I continue to watch...I still don't understand the changes...it looks to me like my car having two engine oil plugs for drainage yes? Did that change happen in the 430?