P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    One question I have on this if someone is informed enough to answer. Does the 420/421 code actually effect fuel mapping, or inversely can it be caused by too rich/lean fuel mixture? If it's just an issue with the performance of the CC, then while it's not great, there's little in the way of damage. If it's changing the fuel mapping as a result of the code/situation I'm concerned. If an off fuel mixture can cause it then I'm much more concerned as the issue could be completely outside of the exhaust system (while unlikely as it's correlated closely with changing exhaust parts I still want to worry sufficiently if I should). Thanks in advance for any intel.

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't think the CEL changes anything. Once I found out it was just a cat problem, I ignore it. The car performs perfectly otherwise.

The funny question to me is, why no CEL when the pre-cats are deteriorated, but then I get one with new headers with only 3K miles on them? It's total BS.

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    When I replaced my headers I changed the 02 sensors just because I had a pair of brand new ones, I kept the old ones that work perfectly, I can sell them to you for cheap if the mini cats don’t fix the CEL, but I am pretty sure they will, just do the 12 hours+ battery kill, and if it doesn’t resolve it do it again.
    I did SEVERAL battery kill switches until it worked, the overnight worked but maybe (just maybe) the ECU needs several resets to adapt. So maybe the overnight was just a coincidence because for me killing the battery for 30 mins vs 12 hrs SHOULD NOT make any difference but it did. So try several resets before you throw the towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    #29 StickBreitling, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    I have Agency Power headers and a Kline exhaust. After installing just the headers, I got a P2193 CEL which was fixed by replacing the relevant o2 sensor. This set up produced no errors whatsoever after that.

I then put on 200 cell sports cats in place of the stock cats and started getting P2192/93 errors. I tried to remedy this by installing some right angle mini cats (no name brand from Amazon) and the P2192/93 codes went away but were replaced by P420/30 errors indicating cat below efficiency. These codes appear within a short drive after clearing them.

If I remove my mini cats, the error codes will switch back to P2192/93. These codes may appear within 2 weeks of them being cleared.

I have a feeling I have an exhaust system leak somewhere and may try replacing the header gaskets.

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The EU cars have no pre-CATS and basically the same car. What is different in the ECU tune of a EU car that only has the main CAT and the US car with pre-CATS that causes the code when you remove the pre-CAT?

Someone earlier posted their CS exhaust came with different PN O2 sensors. Did we ever get that PN?

Is the EU cat a different part than the US CAT?

Also, would flashing your ECU to a EU spec. get rid of the errors?

6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My experience.
    My 360 was euro. (no precats) installed de-cat pipes, got cat codes straight away. Didn't like the sound so fitted high flow sports cats. Sounded better and no more CEL's.
    My 430 is euro, switched to challenge headers with no precats. Got cat codes straight away. Fitted 45deg O2 extenders, pointed back towards engine, no more CEL's. 3 years now.
    Anything more than headers and sports cats and you will not get lucky with extenders/minicats. It is hit and miss, some don't get lucky at all. From what I've read it seems more difficult with US spec cars. Different tunes for different countries.

whatheheck and G. Pepper like this.
  7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I was advised that whenever there are any changes made to components that are monitored like the exhaust system is, that one should reset the ECU’s adaptive parameters. A tech pro monitoring this forum suggested that I have the shop that works on my car perform this with an SD2. That reset should be done with engine cold and then followed by a regimented driving cycle that Ferrari recommends so that the ECUs learn the correct fuel trims, etc.

I am not sure if using the SD2 is a more complete reset than turning the battery off overnight. But no harm in trying it.

I am going to have this done and hopefully I can report back successful resolution.

Steve

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    In case some of you didnt see the engine ECU reset procedures after replacing the car battery or turning the master switch off that someone posted here - here it is.

I think I copied this from a post by Taz. Thanks Taz!
    Please see attached.

Note: I frequently turn my battery master switch off whenever Im working on my car so I printed a hardcopy of this and placed it in my glove compartment for easy retrieval.

Dan

Attached Files:

G. Pepper and cpep like this.
  9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The shop that performs the service on my car uses that procedure when do resets. In addition, I have this procedure as well. My guess is that either procedure is likely OK, but with this one here, you get to take it for a drive. Sometimes, one just needs to get away for a while ... (LOL).

Steve

Attached Files:

whatheheck likes this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing Steve!

And I agree!

Dan

11. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    07 F430 here. Fabspeed headers wrapped in blankets. Everything else stock Got P0430 code right off the bat. Put O2 extenders on. Code didn't happen as often but still did. Put minicats on. No issues so far after several start and stops.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Please list the parts, as I'm not familiar with the details. Brand of headers, cats, O2 extender, minicats, and exhaust can. This sounds like the path I want to go.

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Reporting back in. The shop that works on my car performed an adaptive parameters reset using the SD2. Engine cold. Performed the ECU reset procedure per Ferrar’s tech bulletin. Car threw a CEL. Checked code and same as before P0421 and P0431.

My next step is to replace the O2 sensors. A few months ago when I had headers installed, the tech twisted the wire leads on the O2 sensors removing and reinstalling. I’ve been advised that one should not do that as can cause damage to the wire strands.

We’ll see if that helps.

Steve

14. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi, I have a 2002 360 Modena. Fabspeed headers, Hyperflow cats, Ferrari CS Exhaust, ( I installed the complete CS Exhaust kit including the ECU's programmed for my car and exhaust by FOA, CD O2 Censors).

CEL's were driving me crazy. They would come and go in a random fashion. My ODBII scanner indicated the CEL was initiated at a speed of 50-60MPH (2000-3000rpm). Sometimes I could go several weeks without a CEL and at other times CEL's would appear on an initial drive after an ECU reset.

I tried different extenders without ever resolving the CEL problem. In further discussion with Fabspeed they suggested I try their Mini cats (about $100). I installed the Fabspeed Mini Cats and have not received any CEL's since.

I installed and Steve Bisel's Bypass controller after the installation of the Fabspeed Mini Cats without any issues.

Hope that helps.

G. Pepper and whatheheck like this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the updates Steve.

I hope you sort this out soon so you can start to enjoy driving her again CEL free.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Did you install the mini cats??
    Try the overnight reset, it is a long shot but it worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Okay, Fabspeed headers. Does Fabspeed also make the Hyperflow cats? I have the CS exhaust. The ECU's for the CS exhaust I have not heard about before, so I'll check into that. CD O2 sensors? Are those OEM or aftermarket? And the eventual key to the solution was the Fabspeed Mini Cats. I am also unfamiliar with the Steve Bisel Bypass Controller; what does that do?

18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Allows you to force the exhaust valves open for more noise - normally open according to RPM on the 360.

19. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thanks, I like the automatic valves. They are perfect for me.

20. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    The CS exhaust kit came with 2 new ECU's that have to be programmed by the dealer. Likewise the O2 sensors. They also came with the exhaust kit. Hyperflow cats are not made by Fabspeed. They were on the car when I purchased it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    O2 extenders came with the Fabspeed headers. The blankets are from Capristo. The minicats are also from Fabspeed (90 degree fitting). The primary cats and exhaust can are OEM.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thanks, I think I have everything I want figured out now. Fabspeed headers w/02 extender, Fabspeed Minicats @ 90 degrees. I will try this with stock cats and my CS exhaust first, then maybe add sport cats to the setup.

23. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Resetting all adaptive paremeters clears all codes, and as the term implies, the adaptive parameters associated with fuel trims, catalytic converters efficiency, etc. This is same as overnight reset.

I am having the annual service done in the next few days and will install mini CATs I acquired from Big Daddy Garage. We’ll see how that works as I plan to do another adaptive parameter reset after that.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  24. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not using O2 extenders with my Fabspeed mini cats.

Sent from my SM-N950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Nice to know. I don't want to fiddle around, so I'm going to get the whole setup.