458 or new GT3 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 or new GT3

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robo Squirrel, Jan 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    would you guys ****ing make up your mind! you are using acceleration as a comparison here, but when you get your ass kicked by the Tesla you claim that isn't important.

BOKE, Shadowfax, dustman and 2 others like this.
  3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I am with you on the Spyder. It’s my favorite car of all in my collection. Pure driving fun.

4. bobodrink

bobodrink Rookie

Feb 16, 2017
    like I mentioned, real world results, not the numbers manufacturer post or those websites. People who own the GT3s all have under 3 seconds or 3 flat for 0-60 on a drag, and real world results for 458 are more or less similar. High speed stuff no doubt bigger displacement Ferraris will win, but tracking speeds from 0-150 Porsche is competitive. Porsche for some reason always post slower numbers on paper which always make you feel surprised, but Ferrari you know what you are getting already.

This is just the 991.1

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would dare to say most manufacturers overestimate their performance or at least give reporters a cherry non-realistic setup/car. Ferraris are especially known for this, which might be reporters kissing up to Ferrari or wearing their rossa colored glasses.

6. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    to me, I feel the increased throttle response; as testers state (for what it can be worth) :Turbocharging has provided the newest 911 range with so much more low-end shove than before. Compared to the last, naturally aspirated GTS, the new model produces an additional 80 lb-ft of peak torque, and it’s delivered from just 2,150 rpm instead of 5,750. The result: You no longer have to wring the engine out so frenetically to get maximum power. Leave the gearbox in third or fourth and there’s still plenty of pulling power to hurtle toward the next bend.https://www.motor1.com/reviews/147303/2018-porsche-911-carrera-gts-cabriolet-first-drive/
    Not looking to have a chat campaign, just food for thought;

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's different from throttle response, that's more low-range power.
    You could have turbo lag and more low range power (the new turbochargers are designed to minimise lag though).

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The GT3 is the track focused version with semi tyres and also a 2017 car. The 458 is a 2009 road car on normal tyres.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What Tesla? The one that launches better due to AWD and instant torque and then gets spanked after 100 mph by most supercars? :D
    http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel5623-6576.htm

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The site I quoted is a rel life instrumented test aggregator of various reputable magazines. These tests are controlled and much more reliable than two random blokes on Youtube!!!

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Your are talking power curves now, not throttle response. A N/A engine by nature has superior throttle response.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, that one, but I saw your acceleration comparison was mostly 100 mph and under too. ;)

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I feel that nowadays anything below 0-120 is worthless as it is traction limited and too dependant on gear ratios. Modern supercars are way too quick for a mere 0-60 comparison.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wait, 0-120 is worthless? where can you drive street cars over 120 all the time? :D

Napoli and Afonsolaw like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Worthless as a metric of real performance I should add.
    These cars achieve 120 in less than 10 s, so there are many places one can see higher speeds than that. As long as you evade the local copper/cameras and heavy traffic. :D

rob lay likes this.
  16. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If money is an issue GT3. I own a GT3.2MT. If it is not 458. I owned one for 3 years. (488 now). I did the Ferrari DE at COTA in a 458. It is fun on the track. I would guess you would spend 20K more to own and track a 458 for 2 years. But, it could be 30K if you are unlucky. I think the 458 is much more of an experience than the GT3.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    0-100 is aprx 95% of all the driving we do, as a percent of total!
    It’s absolutely meaningful.
    You guys know I love my supercars, but my Tesla is extraordinary.
    In real world, 95% of our driving, it DEVASTATES everything.

That said, I so look forwards to weekend and taking the LOUD and OBNOXIOUS cars out and wouldn’t have it any other way.

The friends and co workers I hang with have exotics and Teslas too. If you are a real car nut you cant not love these electrics, hybrids and super cars we now get to drive. Golden era of cars!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    +1
    (A mix here - SC’d 993, 991 TTS going out, 458 coming in, Model X and LWB Range Rover)

dustman likes this.
  19. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Sure...but the poster wanted to know of current offerings and iterations...not future Turbo GT3s, etc. I agree the 992 Turbo GT3 will be a better overall car. As is the 488 to the 458.

20. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    It's all but confirmed that the 992 GT3 will be turbocharged. Also, the 911R is a numbered car, 991 examples; as such, they'll always be over sticker. How much over? The market will dictate that.

21. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    992 GT3 maybe better technologically but will it really be better? No doubt the 488 is better technology, faster and just superior as a whole vs the 458 but the 458 held its value better. Lots of people prefer the 458 due to its NA engine , High redline , sound , drama and feel. Admittedly after owning both I have to admit if given the choice to only have one I’d go with the 488. Technology marches on and cars keep getting better and better.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I love how we all endlessly rehash the same debates over a subjective word..."better."

23. Robo Squirrel

Robo Squirrel Karting

Mar 4, 2011
    wow, this thread has gotten bigger than i expected! lol

24. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    There's no doubt that Porsche's are incredible cars, but for me, the only one I'd want, is the Lego GT3 that sits next to me as I type this :)
    Ferrari's just peak my interest more.

Ash Patel likes this.
  25. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There is just something of a more religious experience entering a Ferrari that Porsche will never be able to duplicate. Hard to describe exactly what it is, but you who own both cars probably know what I mean :)