What are 550s going for | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What are 550s going for

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Fcarhappy, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    In my case I'm looking to buy a car I can enjoy and drive so that's the deciding factor. I don't care about investment although value retention is somewhat important. However, at this point I don't think they're going to go any lower. The 550 is a modern 275 and with a stick shift just fun to drive. 599 is high tech and crazy performance. Never experienced that before so that's why I'm tempted.

2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I hope you live a long and healthy life man, but if you love something just do it. My dad is 68 years old, he's worked his whole life, owns his own business, makes alot of money and out of nowhere boom he has pulmonary fibrosis, there is no cure, so after waiting 65 years or so for that diagnosis he just lived life. He's had it for 3 years now and the prognosis is grim long term, there is no cure. You know what he did like 3 months after his diagnosis? He bought a rolls royce ghost, his dream was always a new rolls royce, he had a silver cloud and silver shadow when I was a kid, but he wanted one of these new ones since the seraph came out. Im not kidding, my whole life he always had an S class, the last 25 years always an S class mercedes. Why did it take a terminal illness to make him get his dream car? I dont know but thats silly to me. I bought my dream at 31 because watching him made me realize we dont live forever and you just enjoy stuff when you can. Money is money, it comes and goes, but as long as you work hard we can make more of it. So dont fret over valuations, if you love something, do it while you're healthy and capable. Thats my take.

G. Pepper, F456M, RKZ841 and 8 others like this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't see the issue here, would just be following the usual trend. Or do you think 599s should be worth more than 550s, 550s more than Daytonas, and Daytonas more than 250s, for example?

Themaven likes this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed. Buying a classic car is completely sane by comparison to a painting or a watch, because YOU CAN DRIVE IT!:):):)

F456M likes this.
  5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Isaiah 22:13, 'Let us eat, drink and buy a Ferrari; for to morrow we shall die.'

greg246 and NE550 like this.
  6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is that King James or New Covenant translation? I'm trying to find "Ferrari" in the original Aramaic but perhaps I'm just too rusty (kind of like a 70s-80s Alfa!!)

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe it comes from what is known as the Sardinian version, named for the King of Sardinia who commissioned it in 1240. His name was Enzo.

RKZ841, greg246 and Laserguru like this.
  8. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Or not making love to your wife so that she'll be in good condition for her next husband.;)

F456M likes this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  12. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Am I reading wrong serviced 2015, however sitting since last service in 2015...
    Need to decide, want a driver with mid miles and service or a low mileage pristine example, which will depreciate as you drive....
    garage art or life experience enjoyment?

13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It's a decent price

1) service history is shoddy
    2) its one of the least desirable colors to most, black
    3) its 1998
    4) no shields

The asking prices for 550s seem to be $125-170k. I dont know if many are trading hands at $170k. The dealer I bought my 575 from has a 550 that he's had for sale for 2 years at a high price, and its red, so to me the asking prices are a little ahead of themselves for the time being. I paid $65k less than the ask on his 550 for same mileage 575, not sure if a stick is worth $65k more when the 575 is an upgraded 550. Im gonna assume that black car needs some work as well so prob $135k all in if not more.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a 550 which I have owned since 2012 it is a 2001 (one of the last 30 built) with every option including carbon fiber and Daytona seats , wheels etc ... even has luggage and has about 13000 miles ... love the car (red with black interior) and the ONLY thing I don't care for is the sound ... if only the cars had a sound like my F12 then it would be a perfect car....I know there are aftermarket fixes but to me if they sounded like an f12 the prices would be far higher then they are now... I do believe it is the best late model V12 maybe a reincarnation of the 275 gtb or the Daytona... which ever
    I do plan to keep mine just cause I love the look and feel of it and it drives significantly different then a newer car reminds me of an old car only comfortable and reliable....

Themaven likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would wonder why the upper and lower A arms on the front suspension were replaced. That is not normal maintenance.

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Larry I have Tubi and an X Pipe on my 575, trust me it can sound like a monster. My X pipe was custom fitted inside the resonator so you can't even see it. It's very well done. I too felt the maranellos exhaust was too tame, I drove another without a tubi before I got mine and it didn't wow me either.

LARRYH likes this.
  17. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    +1 sounds like damage.

18. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I believe that car was an F1 that was converted bc there's a member on here who posted a while back about getting that same looking car and adding a roll bar and custom luggage to it in this thread

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2002-f575m-maranello-f1-exceptional.509822/page-2#post-144705334

Will be interesting to see what a conversion gets if this is the car. I think it is and I think he changed the steering wheel,carpets, and transmission. It all looks fantastic, very impressive. Wonder what it will fetch as a manual but not from the factory. Also curious if they used the 550 transaxle in the conversion bc when I discussed a conversion with one shop up north I balked at the idea of a 550 transaxle.

20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    or is it PC to call it a trans 575

22. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Let me start by saying thank you for all 45 responses. I belong to a number of forums and I can say that by far this forum has the most responsive members of all. Let me also say that: 1) I affirm the belief that all Ferraris have an intrinsic value that cannot be measured in dollars and cents, 2) that condition is always a factor 3) buying such a car for investment purposes is not likely a good idea -the return is more personal than monetary and 4) I have no intents of selling mine. That said, and with all due respect, I know nothing more about the answer to "what are they going for these days?" than I did when I first posted this thread. What I do know is that you are all a kind community of caring people willing to share your thoughts and for that again I am grateful.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  24. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Curious about the x pipe. That commingles exhaust from both sides right? Why is that desirous? Single cat? I think dual single exhaust makes the best sounds. Think muscle cars from pre-cat eras. Just curious.

25. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I have seen them advertised in the last 6 months anywhere from 79 to about 200 with most asking prices in the range of 120- 160. Not including salvage titled cars.

NE550 likes this.