Granturismo Sport MC vs Stradale | FerrariChat

Granturismo Sport MC vs Stradale

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wda24729, Feb 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi - Haven't been on this section of the forum before as my Maserati is a modern Ghibli. However Im considering changing to a Granturismo and just wondered from anyone with experience as to whether an older Stradale is worth paying the same money v's a more modern Sport MC.
    Ive looked at a Stradale and was a little disappointed with the interior equipment / layout and notice the 2018 version does at least have a face lifted MTC screen, although it doesn't have that 'Race' button!

Or do I wait for an Alfieri?

Any thoughts welcomed. :)

2. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The "real" Stradale has a huge advantage over all other GranTurismos, it comes with the 599 racing gearbox. The whole advantage of the Stradale was that specific gearbox. Unfortunately, at some point Maserati decided to replace it with the regular Automatic ZF for non-EU markets, so almost all Stradale cars you see around you are regular automatics.

My personal opinion, I'd go for the Stradale over any other GranTurismo (even the new Sport MC 2018 model), if it has the 599 racing gearbox.

Unfortunately, buying a new GranTurismo these days is not exactly value for money, you are buying a 10+ year old platform, with 460 bhp. So barely as fast as a BMW that costs half as much as the GranTurismo. The 2018 model was tutted to be a whole new car and it is a complete disappointment, since its just a facelift with a few gimmicks on top.

We are waiting to see the 2019 or 2020 lineup...

3. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Many thanks. I did go and have a look at an M4 but unfortunately Im ruled by my heart, not my head. I also can't help thinking I'd need a large knotted tie and mirror sunglasses to drive one! Also had a look at a C63 and E63, the E63 certainly worth considering as an alternative.

Im in the UK so the gearbox shouldn't be an issue, but will make the necessary enquiries. Its a 2017 car with a Maserati main dealer so they should be able to answer my queries.

4. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    If its a 2017 model, then it should have 4 seats.

Some people prefer the 2-seats version, which looks more aggressive and sporty, it is also believed that it will keep its value above all others. While other people prefer the 4-seats version, which is more practical, has tons of extra leather and looks beautiful. Confused yet? :)

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes I've got the 2 seat / 4 seat issue in hand. Ive not actually seen any 2 seat versions for sale over here, but it would be the 4 seat version I would buy anyway.

6. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have to [sadly] concur, that a brand new GT is definitely not value for money. I love the GT and it's a dead nuts reliable car (I fix them every day for a living), but when you can literally go buy a 2008 for as little as $30K USD and have the same basic car as a brand new one (albeit aside from the facelift and MTC integration and larger engine), there's little reason in my reckoning to do so. And honestly, if you want something special, at least here in the US, I tell prospective buyers to find one of the 200 or so 2009-only GT-S with the F1 that they brought into the US. That has the 599 gearbox and the juiced 4.7 mill. But as you can plainly see by looking at any classified site, the depreciation on these cars is staggering, you could practically buy a 348 with the money you'll lose on a new GT in a year or two.

FYI, the 2018 GT is nice now that it has a backup camera but they changed the convertible top controls from a rocker type switch to two separate (and VERY delicate) buttons on the center console. We have problems with those buttons getting pushed out of their frames (they used a similar type of button for the functions alongside the NIT screen on the older GT) so this will be interesting to see how long they keep that setup going...

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I just picked up a 2013 GT Sport to replace my 2008 GT. Yep - never seen a car depreciate so much - it's mind blowing. A got the 2013 with 7000 miles, one owner car for 60% off MSRP - yes, 60%!! Now, I will be taking a beating selling my 2008 :mad: :p

I love the car though - it's my 6 month DD

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Dave,

What are the details on your '08? I daily an '07 QP Automatica which just turned 120K miles and was thinking of maybe adding a GT to the fleet although I fear my 456 might retaliate by having a major mechanical fail if it sees a GT show up, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Aaron,

I don't recall the miles but it's low 50K's. Needs a headliner, one wheel has some rash, new front tires - probably needs rear tires - recent alignment. TPMS was acting up right before I put it away. Some sticky parts (I'm a shoemaker who's kids don't have shoes). Minor bolster wear on driver seat. Nero / Cuoio Sella. Fairly new battery - upgraded for after market BT. 19" wheels. Overall very good condition - not pristine but very nice. Call or email if you wish to discuss 716-553-6130 dave.lelonek@**********.com I'm thinking $32K

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Nice ride Dave. That's the same combo as my Quattroporte. If yours had a burgundy interior, we'd be on. I'm going to be fussy about colors which means either Nero over burgundy or silver over navy. Both are out there, but very few of them. Has your GT had the variators done?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Arron - we are muddy this thread and probably should move to email (sorry to the OP for us going O/T). Variators have not been done - just (briefly) saw this on MLife not long ago. Forums cause problems with cars LOL. Car runs perfectly fine. My car will probably be the lowest price GT on the market aside from a salvage or storied car.

12. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #12 wda24729, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    That's ok, glad to have some input. Still looking, although I'm still steered towards the Stradale in each case however I can't seem to fathom out when they changed from the 599 gearbox trickery

13. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Dilemma time. Ive just seen a 2011 MC Sport with 5k miles for about half the price I was willing to pay! Pre-facelift model but half the price??

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    They depreciate horribly.

15. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Apart from the front lights and seats, there doesn't appear to be much difference between the two

16. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well in the end I went for a Stradale, apparently the very last one to leave the production line. Im getting a letter of authenticity from Maserati to confirm when I pick her up later this week...ruddy excited :)