Little quiz! Help needed to identify these toolkits | FerrariChat

Little quiz! Help needed to identify these toolkits

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VetroresinaNL, Feb 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My guess is that the second one might be a 330 GTC or Daytona. I'm thinking 330 GTC because it seems to have the early style oil filter wrench (from what little can be seen of it) and I think the Daytona kit had a different style oil filter wrench.

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    PM sent

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    MY BEST GUESS ON BOTH:

Assuming second set is a 330 GTC toolkit:
    - It is missing one wrench (should have a total of 7, the closed-end wrench on the right is definitely not correct, the 6 wrenches on the left look correct from a distance, need close-up to confirm whether they are correct type and vintage).
    - Missing 500 gram hammer
    - Missing lead knockoff hammer
    - Missing grease gun and extension
    - Missing hub puller
    - Screwdrivers look correct, sometimes they had both plastic screwdrivers and wood, but I don't think this is a hard and fast rule
    - On the plus side, from a distance, what is there in terms of tools seem to be original rather than repros -- very little is "wrong", but tools are missing

First set (maybe Daytona based on oil filter wrench):
    - Incorrect screwdrivers
    - Crescent wrench doesn't belong
    - Incorrect spark plug tool (at least for 330 GTC, not sure on Daytona)
    - Incorrect lead hammer
    - Incorrect 500 gram hammer
    - Look like correct number and type of Beta 55 wrenches -- it looks like they might be new production rather than vintage based upon color, need close-up of marking to know
    - Missing hub puller
    - Missing weber tool

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    On the second set, would the hexagon knock off spanner for the wheel nut imply it's for a USA car ?

peterp likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    German market as well.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good eye, meaning that the second kit is definitely Daytona instead of 330 GTC. I initially guessed 330 GTC for the second bag based upon what I could see of the oil filter wrench, but looking closer, the handle of the oil filter wrench is under the tool bag flap, so it is impossible to distinguish whether is the older or newer Daytona-style oil filter wrench from what can be seen. I amend my guess (based upon your wheel spanner comment) to both tool bags being for a Daytona.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    On the second set, the jack should be yellow and the painted blue extension for the jack just cad plated, has it a yellow sleve on the ratchet,or is it painted?
    Daytona should have a window crank with bronze gear, Dino is the same but with a steel gear on the end of the crank.
    Could this be for a later car than a Daytona? 308?
    Daytona bags are a dark brown this looks black but it may be the photo.

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what size does the belt has? may be because of the size it is easier to find out for what car?

peterp likes this.
  11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #12 peterp, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on jack color or bag color. I'm pretty sure (not at all positive and happy to be corrected) that both yellow and blue jacks were used around the Daytona period and that both black and brown bags were used at various times. I do think the Dino can be excluded because Dinos used the "post" type jacks rather than the "scissor-type" jacks in these tool kits. I also believe that these bag types were not used on any v8 (e.g. old 308) or even the oldest mid-engine V-12 cars -- I think their use was limited to "Enzo era" front-engine V12's (but again I would be happy to be corrected).

The Dino jacks look a bit like the 250 V-12 and pre-330 GTC post jacks but can be distinguished by the Dino having the arm pivot very close to the base versus the earlier jacks where the pivot was 4 or 5" up from the base. Dino jacks are normally yellow and have a more serrated base than the early V12 jacks that were usually blue and had less serration.

12. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Peter is correct. Tool Bag and Jack colors varied as different lots of bags and jacks were purchased by the factory.

13. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  14. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This is a Daytona tool roll taken from the Daytona registry, and it is much the same as others I have seen.
    Yours maybe for a Daytona, but a Daytona did not have a grease gun, or adjustable spanner, and your screwdrivers seem more yellow than orange in your roll, [ the second set look more orange].
    Also missing from your set is the Webber tool, bulb holder, lead hammer, emergency window crank Tool rolls are a nightmare to get right!
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login

peterp and 375+ like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Grant this is a good set but the bulb holder is incorrect, it is for a later car. Most Daytona kits I've seen use the dark brown vinyl bag with tan straps and have Everest brand spanners. Later cars used the attache kit with a separate jack bag, though this may have been more common with US cars.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    This set has very few correct pieces. The jack, plug wrench and oil filter wrench are suitable for Daytona but the plug wrench may be of more recent manufacture. The grease gun was a fairly universal piece from 250 up until 365 series.

18. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    The toolkit are not mine, but they were offered to me. Both seem to be a mix of original and non-original tools and also mixed between both kits. Quite a shame. The bags are the best parts!

Many thanks for all your input, really appreciated. But I will pass on these.

19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The second set with the blue jack is the better of the two IMO because, although it is missing some pieces, almost everything that is there is correct both in terms of type and being originals, rather than reproductions or current production. Now that the oil filter wrench can be seen in full, I'm back to thinking this set is actually probably for a 330 GTC or 275 GTB because the Daytona has a different style wrench (as seen in the first set). But it has the borrani wheel spanner, so it is probably a bit of mix and match. Since there was a lot of commonality in tools, the model origin of the toolkit doesn't matter that much as long as you acquire and change out what is correct for your car. If you have originals that are correct but wrong for your model, you can trade those for the correct or sell them on eBay to fund the correct.

The first set with the yellow jack has a lot of wrong tools -- the wrenches are wrong (hazet vs Beta/Everest), the screwdrivers are wrong, both hammers are wrong, the spark plug wrench is wrong. The grease gun and oil filter wrench look correct, the pliers may be ok (can't tell for sure from photo).

It would help a lot if you could provide some background on what you are looking for (e.g. specify which model are you trying to put a tool kit together for)

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    peterp likes this.