TR myths an owner’s perspective | FerrariChat

TR myths an owner’s perspective

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Feb 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

As a TR owner i have read a lot of great info on these forums which have tremendously helped me and i also read a lot of comments from at times non owners on what a TR is like to own or feels like to drive so, in my short ownership here is what i believe i have learnt

1-Myth number one: TR are slow.

No they are not even by modern standard . If you focus on 0-60, 5.2 seconds is not fast i give you that but it has to be put in perspective.
    The TR runs the 1/4 mile in about 13.2 seconds, a huracan in 10.6.
    A huracan does 0-60 in 2.6 secs which means that after 60mph a TR essentially pulls just as much as a huracan. Not bad for a 30 year old car i’d say

2-Fact number one the TR has terrible brakes

By all accounts i still wonder what went through ferrari’s mind to create a car that can go to 180mph and brakes so bad. In the city or highway they are good enough but track or spirited driving you will be truly scared.
    I recommend keeping the original wheels and tyres and brakes but whilst u own it, if you plan such spirited driving, 512 TR upgraded brakes or brembo brakes are a good idea

3-Myth 2: The TR is hard to Drive

If you read this forum long enough you will clearly have read people complaining about the steering being heavy, the clutch, the 2nd gear not going if car is cold etc.
    To me its a myth and it all depends of who you are and where you learnt to drive. Being European i never had an automatic car or power steering for a long time.
    The TR at super low speed is hard but once you get her rolling it’s piece of cake.
    The clutch, chances are that if its that hard the car has some kind of issue. Mine is really easy and it depends i guess on the car you test drive.
    The TR is also comfortable; i am rather athletic at 6”1 -200 and i fit super easily. I had my brother in law at 6”5 drive it and though he didn’t fit like a glove it was easy for him too
    Lastly the TR have great visibility which make them super easy to drive in traffic, little blind spot

4-Myth and Fact: the tr do not handle that well
    The fact is the TR has a center of gravity which is a bit too high, later corrected in the 512, which makes it that the car has some body roll.
    The truth thoughis that, although the TR is no 360/430/458 it is no slouch in the twisties.
    Switching gears,downshifting with the flat12 roaring, feeling the precise steering is just super fun and will bring you a LOT of joy!

One thing is: you HAVE to push her. If you want to see and experience it’s soul; keep the revs high; that’s where it wants to be; otherwise the TR feels like a mondaine GT.(to me)

5- Myth and Fact: The TR is a budget killer.

If you are used to Say AMG cars the TR will surprise you in good and bad ways.
    The good thing is that a lot of things on TR can be done yourself as evidenced by some of our awesome members. Some parts like the brakes are decently priced too.
    The issue will be to find parts and that people will ask ridiculous prices for them. Believe it or not but new catalytic converters for instance (no core échange) go for about $4k each, a fuel gauge $900 so not cheap.
    Of course the dreaded diff failure could set you back another 6-8k, same for clutch and major.
    That being said, aside the major, none of those prices are much different in the 430/458 etc

6-Myth :You can get a cheap TR with no issues.

By all means before a purchase do your due diligence. Before purchasing mine i went to florida to see a few TR’s in the 80-90k range which were advertised as serviced and great. When i got there the car were not at all as advertised.
    Another one for sale locally here in the bay claimed to be all good, major done. I almost bought it but when i got there: cars latches to open fromt and rear trunk were not working (thats $1k each), glove box did not open, 2nd gear would take ages to warm up before going in.
    The car is still for sale and when you ask that much for a car, though it is 30 year old, might as well have a car that’s as good as possible .
    I saw too many people trying to flip them and that’s sad

7) Myth and Fact: The TR sound incredible

Honestly with all the regulations we had here in the 80’s and the original muffler it is NOT good.
    Put a sports exhaust and test pipes and the TR comes alive. It is a very different kind of sound than you get in newer cars. My friend has this awesome set up on his 458 and it’s incredible but for some reasons it seems or feels not as genuine and fake. The TR has a soul, hard to explain but it is how i feel.

8-Fact: People love the TR

Everywhere i go i get compliments about the car and get the best spots at the local cars and coffee. The TR has that presence. What i like about it is that people are not hating: they give you the thumbs up, remind you of outrun or miami vice etc.
    Compared to the newer lambo or ferrari the TR makes you pass for a gentleman that has tastes not a show off. Matt Farah thought the same in his one take

9-Fact: The handbrake is not The most reassuring thing.

I swear although mine is fully functional i would not park uphill in neutral with just the handbrake on;)

10-Fact the Flat12 is a strong engine

The boxer engine is actually very torque and doesn’t rev that high. It is a beautiful engine which can last a looong time. I have seen some TR’s with over 85k miles running like a charm!

Voila!
    I am sure there are more facts and myths to be discussed but i thought this could help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truedriverscar, tvu, ridege55 and 2 others like this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    fact 1: at that time it was one of the fastest
    fact 2:also at that time those brakes have been up-to-date
    fact 3 + 4: the car is hard to drive on a parking space with low speed. but as soon as you go faster than 30 km/h it is easy to drive, also good seeing out to all sides
    fact 5: that is right, parts are not cheap ( when you buy orignal F ) when you don´t know where to get good them.
    fact 6: until now a lot of speculators once baguht this car in the hope of getting more money when they sell. but they not even have the money to let soemthing repair because it is too expensive. so they drive a little and like/have to sell again. they polish and clean the car and someone with not big knowledge will buy because the car looks great. but those are getting less to buy. so as I mentioned in an other thread here reaaly good examples will raise again, and bad ones will go down much more than just now. so to those who can work themsleve on such a car I suggest they may wait 2 - 4 more years. then they could buy for much less. but meanwhile the prices will stay high. and even if it is a car with a lot of to do on it would just now be better tp part it out and sell the parts. I see the market for used parts also going down. there are not so many who need those parts. on ebay germany for example I see often parts since more than 5 years what get offered and did not sell, because too expensive. about 60 % of the new F price.
    fact 7: the german cars without cat had not a bad sound, but sure, an aftremarket exhaust sounds louder, if better?
    fact 8: absolutely right, it is still a stunning car
    fact 9: still much better than the one from a BB
    fact 10: yes, very strong and reliable, even with 2 turbos on :) :) :)

always remember; the car is now 30 years old
    take other 30 year old cars and see the difference

3. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    As someone who recently sold a very sorted out TR, here is my perspective on this point. Most buyers are looking for the cheapest Ferrari out there. They are stuck on a number, and cross shop the well sorted examples against the nightmare versions out there for $10-$40 less. So, the condition 4 TRs will continue to drop which will drag the condition 1 and 2 cars down on paper. The ones who bought a condition 3 or 4 will realize the amount of money and time required to bring the cars up to a driveable state (because they were looking for a 'deal') and in a sinking market will likely do nothing with them or try to sell them at a loss. Meanwhile, most people with the better sorted out TRs will hold on to them with few transactions on the higher end. Rinse and repeat on this cycle for a few years.

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Once when I was on a drive with a group of exotics with my 1989 TR, I had an Acura NSX hot on my tail. When I really started pushing the TR hard through the turns, I ever so slightly started getting some distance on the NSX. When we hit the straights...the TR would just walk away from the NSX. I'm not downing the NSX as it only had a V-Tech V-6 Engine, but it was hailed as a top handling machine. Even with the TR being a Grand Touring car....it does pretty well.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  6. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There is a YouTube video of a TR versus the NSX. Good video from Japan. You can see that performance is similar though in the test on track the NSX is slightly ahead. I like the NSX but the TR is more of a looker as we say around here.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Comparing a 90's Honda sports car with an 80's Ferrari grand tourer seems pretty pointless.

What is the objective here ?

Personal choice would be the Testarossa, despite its weight and standard brakes.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Absolutely right Romano !

Extra:
    at #2: absolutely dangerous in Testarossa's ... better in 512TR/M
    at #5: it IS a budget killer, especially if maintenance is done by F shops ....
    at #6: not possible !
    at #9: correct .... is crap :D
    #10: YES !

#11: the GB or diff is CRAP !

But: we love them !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mel
    why you say absolutely right and also say to 6. not possible? can not understand this :(

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Beautiful 512 melvok!
    The brakes are scary.
    Another thing i will add that is scary is how direct the steering is and unpredictable the car can be over a bump .
    It is very raw, not a 2017 amg, so what i mean by that is : if u are going to test the limits in a TR u better be brave and a good pilot... or on a smooth surface. I can tell with this car that one mistake and ur out ( and so is the car too lol )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peteficarra and turbo-joe like this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but exactly that is what a testarossa is made for. go to the limit, but not over :)

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Post said:
    6-Myth :You can get a cheap TR with no issues.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right mel,
    but you confirmed my posting and also denied no.6, so I thaught you mean my no.6 and not the no.6 from natkingcolebasket69

14. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Not a personal choice and pointless comparison at all; I own both (92 512TR and 92 NSX) and objectively and hands down the NSX is the better car in every aspect, but the 512TR has a mistique and intangible that makes it a must have keeper. As the poster said inspite of the Fact the NSX was superior the TR still held its own.