ESPN/ABC will use SKY broadcast! | FerrariChat

ESPN/ABC will use SKY broadcast!

Discussion in 'F1' started by trumpet77, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    E60 M5, Bas, paulchua and 1 other person like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    1) cost saving move from ABC. They don't need to do any investing.
    2) for sure it's better than the stuff we got at NBC given that Hobbs was retiring anyway.

IMO, a positive move. But don't expect them to build a larger US F1 audience with British announcers. That's the only downside.

3. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Hot damn. That's awesome.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    OK, that box is checked. Now we need Sky's pre- & post-race coverage, Ted's Notebook etc. Maybe that will be available in the OTT package.

I'll find a way to watch it no matter what though.

Badabing! likes this.
  5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Personally I liked the old SpeedVision coverage...and their website gave really good F1 news. I think American viewers will be cheated by ABC/ESPN's desire to do it as cheaply as possible. They will pre-empt coverage or cut away before the race is over in order to give airtime to other sports. There will be no pre and post race shows that can be recorded and viewed later. They bought F1 as a trophy but have no real commitment to it.

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Not so certain...Hobbs was probably the favorite guy on Speed/NBC's broadcasts and it felt like he was slowing down considerably the last few seasons. I think a crew with legitimate broadcasters could connect with the US audience...British announcers may just give it an "international flare"

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hobbs was retiring anyway.

If you have watched Sky it’s all about Britain. It’s better than the US but they cover a lot of stuff over most American’s heads.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I also miss Speedvision. Lots of racing including dirt track Saturday night events as well as shows about boats and planes.

Velocity just sucks.

mcimino, jjmalez and CSM0TION like this.
  9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They didn't pay anything for it.

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I stopped watching it on tv almost 10 years ago because of the crappy commentators. This great news. Will they air it without commercials during the race? Agree with hairy_scotsman that they should broadcast the Sky post-race, and particularly the pre-race as well which they do very very well.

11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Check out MavTV if you have it. Tons of dirt oval stuff, sprints, modifieds, etc.

12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They give a lot of great info, and really aren't much/any more Lewis-centric than NBC was. I don't think the info they give is over Americans' heads. It's just that we're never exp[osed to it here. I've watched Sky coverage for a long time & never found it difficult to process everything they talked about. Much better than the dumbed-down crap NBC fed us.

Sunracer and nsxrebel like this.
  13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah I've never been put off by British announcers either on NBC or Sky. They add to the exotic flavor of the sport imho. The last thing I want is an F1 broadcast full of American guys who probably know less about F1 than I do.

nsxrebel likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, you apparently didn't watch their coverage of the USGP. They pretty much laughed at the Michael Buffer intro bit.

I agree it's a step forward. But its also not going to bring in new American fans. That's my point.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah I watched it when I got home from COTA. A whole lot of Americans laughed at the Buffer bit as well. I can't hold that against the Brit announcers.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I thought the Buffer idea was stupid but the Brits pretty much laughed at it like those hicks from Texas or something. That's not going to go over too well if they continue.

I like their broadcasts so don't get me wrong. But I can't see them growing an F1 fan base in the US by just repeating what the British want. Speedvision had their own people on the ground around the world giving their impression of what the US audience wanted to know about. I don't see ABC caring.

17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    It's a moot point, but since you continue to say it.....Hobbs 'wasn't retiring anyway'.

From 'Racer' website 11-23-2017 by Marshall Pruett:
    David Hobbs could be making his last live TV appearance this weekend as NBCSN presents its final Formula 1 race.

Hobbs, along with F1 on NBCSN colleagues Leigh Diffey, Steve Matchett, and Will Buxton, will farewell the series at the conclusion of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix as F1 moves to its new home on ESPN in 2018, and of the four, the 78-year-old Briton knows it might serve as his closing stint in the studio.

"I know from the Twitter world we're seeing people say that are sad to see us go, and from a personal standpoint, it's particularly sad and heightened for me because it will, most likely, be my last broadcast," the legendary F1, Indy car, sports car, and NASCAR driver told RACER.

"This will bring to an end a 41-year career. I've been broadcasting almost as long as Leigh's been alive, and Steve would have been eight when I did my first show."

With NBCSN's roster overflowing with talent in IndyCar and NASCAR, the loss of F1 – a natural home for Hobbs' expertise – has provided a challenge to make ongoing use of his colorful insights. Although he harbors no ill will toward NBCSN, the frustration aimed at Liberty Media, F1's commercial rights holders who struck the deal with ESPN, leaves no question about Hobbs' feelings on the subject.

"It's a bit galling that my last show is not me retiring, but me being retired," he added. "If ESPN or anybody had come along and outbid NBC in a rights war, and we were pushed out by a clearly superior team and deal, that would be one thing. You could say, 'OK, I guess the best guy's won.' But the deal they've got is horrible.

"They're not paying any rights fees, they aren't having any studio shows so there aren't any production costs. It's meant to be a generic [broadcast] team from across the ocean. That is irritating, that we're being ousted by what will be an inferior show. To be pushed out by a pathetic deal, including for the viewer, is sad."

If a call was made from NBCSN to join its stellar IndyCar booth for a few rounds in 2018 and beyond, Hobbs would welcome the opportunity to end his broadcast career in more positive circumstances.

"Will I get an IndyCar race or two? Maybe...when Paul Tracy or Townsend Bell falls down a hole," he said with a laugh. "There's other people lurking in the wings, so this could well be my last broadcast, but I would enjoy sitting with the lads in IndyCar if they'd have me.

"But the end was inevitable. It was going to happen at some point. It's just sad it's happening in a rather unsavory way. This weekend is going to be a bit of a heartstring puller for me. I've been doing it since the Pocono 500 in 1976 with Ken Squier..."

Badabing! and hairy_scotsman like this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hobbs missed several broadcasts this year because of his health. The writing was on the wall.

I will miss him and I blame NBC for not allowing him to go out with a bang.

E60 M5 and newark_308 like this.
  19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'll withhold comment until I actually view a race or two on ESPN with their new set-up.

I can't see anyone complaining about British broadcasters when we've had Hobbs and Matchett for so long.

Sunracer and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Sky uncut = good.

Sky cut = ???

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    my thoughts exactly. I always have a fall back anyways and it's commercial free.

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134555/first-details-of-f1-tv-shakeup-revealed

The first details of Formula 1's television coverage overhaul for 2018 have been revealed.

Former Fox Sports president David Hill was drafted in late last year to oversee a change to the way F1 is broadcast.

Although there has not yet been any official announcement about F1 owner Liberty Media's plans to improve the TV show, commercial chief Sean Bratches promised it would "totally revitalise the way F1 is produced".

Asked by Autosport about the TV plans for 2018, Bratches said: "We are going to close the apertures, focus intently on the racing, and lower the [positioning of the] cameras - because the lower the camera the higher the realism of the speed is.

"We will also have 25 spotters around each grand prix to call back to race control and tell them where overtaking is about to take place.

"From a graphics standpoint we will have a brand-new package - putting them in a local language and also putting 'mph' in countries that use miles per hour."

It is understood that other ideas being looked at are improving the sound of engines through a new position of on-board microphones, use of music in the race broadcasts and more regular use of a highlights reel to showcase dramatic moments.

Liberty has already confirmed that race start times are being shifted to help television broadcasts, with European grands prix now starting at 3.10pm to help broadcasters who only begin their show on the hour.

Bratches said a new marketing campaign, website, eSports platform and "four fan festivals" would complement upgraded luxury initiatives like hot laps and the Paddock Club.

He also revealed F1 had settled on the countries that would get access to F1's new streaming service that was being made available.

"We are going to launch in China, USA, Latin America other than Brazil, Germany, France and a number of other Nordic countries," he said.

"It's been a very complicated proposition. With the media rights agreements we had this year, previously none of them would have permitted us to do that.

"But we have managed to come to terms in many of the territories, and we think we have done so in a win-win way."

Bratches said Liberty was working with the TV companies to also ensure that the coverage was such that it would attract - rather than put off - casual fans who were watching F1 for the first time.

"We have this fictitious idea of a 22-year-old person, who is not an F1 fan but who has a friend who is an avid fan and tells him to watch [a race]," explained Bratches.

"So when that person tunes in, we want them to understand what is going on.

"Ross Brawn, who is one of the legends of the sport, said he would come into the middle of a GP during his three-year retirement and not even know what was going on.

"So, we are trying to make it simpler to help convey what is happening."

Finlander likes this.
  23. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Has it been confirmed that the ESPN version of the Sky broadcast will have commercial breaks? ESPN frequently shows soccer matches without commercials during play, so hopefully they can work out something similar for F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Formula 1 officially announced new live streaming service without ad breaks. Providing exclusive access to all 20 driver on-board cameras throughout every race session.

The F1 streaming service will be made available in four different languages (English, French, German and Spanish) and will appear in nearly two dozen markets at launch (including Germany, France, USA, Mexico, Belgium, Austria, Hungary and much of Latin America).

Pricing for F1 TV Pro will be offered on a monthly basis of USD $8-$12. A less expensive, non-live subscription tier, F1 TV Access will provide live race timing data and radio commentary, as well as extended highlights of each session from the race weekend.

Finlander and trumpet77 like this.
  25. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'm thinking that sounds good, will sign up for that. Full events live, all practices, plus F2!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.