belt service cost? | FerrariChat

belt service cost?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bocaf430, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    What are you guys paying for the engine out service? Belts etc.? I ask because I am thinking of buying a mondial coupe.... I am looking at a 1984, 1989, 1991
    thanks guys

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    lots of variables in that question first would be dealer or independent, shop second is 86 and before would be different than 1989 and later in terms of cost. Lastly everyone's cost seem to fluctuate based on what their individual car needs because of how well or neglected it's past has been.

Given that

1986 & before
    indie shop $3500-$5500
    delaer $4500-$8500

1989 later

Indie $4500-$7500
    dealer $6500-$8500

paulchua likes this.
  3. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    thanks was just trying to get ball park to see if buying a mondial is justified.... seems like a costly car service wise..... might be better off with a newer car..... faster, less service costs... or just going to a different car brand... maybe porsche

paulchua likes this.
  4. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Try an NSX or S2000 if you want fun and mild maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

A lot of cars these days cost $ to keep up no matter the make. so it just depends on what you are looking for and what kind of need it services. An older car like a mondi has additional issues that will need $ and bother you like slow windows and bad electronics, so if you are not into the "needs" of a typically classic car it wont be a fun experience. My buddy has a new Audi RS7 or something ($100k +) his scheduled services are $4500 so they all cost in terms of regular service.

gsfent and paulchua like this.
  6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You have a 308GTS if I am not mistaken. Practically the same maintenance costs. Exept for a T model, add 5 to 10%.
    DIY and it becomes a whole different ballgame. Like 300 USD (Only belts and tensioners)

Mechanical Dad and paulchua like this.
  7. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Yes I do have a 308 gtsi.... I was just hearing that the mondial cost was even higher... thanks

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  8. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I had a NSX years ago.... great car but never felt exotic....... I am thinking of the mondial or maybe Porsche 928

paulchua likes this.
  9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I think you need to figure out what you want first. I don't think buying a 928 because it's economical is the right decision. If you want a Mondial, I suggested buying one that's been fully sorted.

paulchua likes this.
  10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    For the T model that is right, but up to the 3.2 engine it is the same what you have now since it it is the same engine and transmission. Bellhousing is a bit different.

Do take a test drive with a Mondial and perhaps someone here wants to have a drive with you. They are very different rides then a 308 since it is a GT. I cannot say anything of the 928 other then it was car of the year in the late 70ties, but I agree with alexion in deciding first what you want to have. Finding a good first generation 928 is more difficult then a Mondial IMHO unless you go for the younger ones.

paulchua likes this.
  11. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I believe 40hrs. labor on a t is common for a major. Additional services are +++.

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The engine out service for a Porsche would be the same. But of course why take an engine out if you don't need to.

Most of the service work for the 3.2 and earlier series can be done with the engine in, that is why it is the preferred model for the self maintainer. Belts, related bearings and water pump, plus various fuel and coolant hoses, are the typical needs, all fine with engine in. Clutch is also engine in. Doing valve clearances would no doubt be a lot easier to do engine out, but is not a frequent need, even when people do the clearance checks they are often within spec unless very high mileage.

If the car needs a complete restoration, than engine out is the way to go. And the t model (89-93) requires engine out to do the typical timing belt changes, so less flexibility in service approaches for this series.

13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I put clutch and belts both in my QV when I got it. Engine stays in and hardest part is dealing with a-c compressor. Three years later I removed the propelling unit and installed a 3.2 with new belts. This winter three years later installed new belts again. Piece of cake. First set of belts had new hill bearings. Second set of belts reused bearings. This winter replaced bearings again. When people ask about the high cost of maintaining a Ferrari I tell them some people bought the wrong Ferrari.

Jeka and MvT like this.
  14. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    One of the attractive points that brought me to my 1986 Mondial 3.2 was the non-engine out requirement for the major belt service and the fact that it is an "old school" motor with distributors, mechanical fuel injection and no abs. Sure its not quite as fast as a 348 based Mondial T but the simplicity of the design and the way it all comes together, is purely Ferrari. The elegant gated 5 speed transmission with non-powered steering brings true feel to the experience. 3rd gear will put you in your seat as you accelerate onto the highway. I love my Ferrari!

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Much more to a "major" than a belt swap.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The only part of a major that is more than the belts is the valve clearance. And you then replace some gaskets and seals while doing the valves as you remove the cam covers to get in there. But otherwise, the major is nothing that you would not do on any car, being fluid changes, checks and adjustments. Things like changing old brake lines are not in a major, many age related things and cleaning and lubricating things are not either. No relay changes or fuse box replacement in a major, nor is water pump idler bearing, starters, alternations, fuel accumulators, and many other things these old cars might need. The phrase major has become a false comfort, the cars need what they need at this point. Classic car ownership is not like owning a new or used car, you are doing a rolling restoration.

But if the car is in good condition, ie. has been driven, and the paradox is milage is actually a good indication of reliability and/or careful preemptive maintenance, then you can have an enjoyable ownership experience with no more cost than any modern luxury car that is off warranty.

paulchua and MvT like this.
  17. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    There is no U.S. Mondial coupe in 1991. 1989 only (and last) year for coupe. 1989 is a t coupe, others 3.2. 1991 Cabriolet?

Service cost is only one factor. These cars are fully depreciated unlike most newer cars. And driving a car should primarily be about the driving experience, not the service costs (although they be at least proportional to your particular driving experience).

Before buying, I hope you can test out some of the cars so you can get an idea of what it is like to drive. That should help your decision.

Regards
    Jerry

paulchua likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, it's the same. A Mondial has all the up's and down's of a GTB/GTS of the same year. People spread the idea that the Mondial has more issues but that's really not the case, and when it is it's usually due to the cost of deferred maintenance because someone bought a neglected Mondial for 15k, then got a 15k estimate from the shop to set it right, and instead of doing the work sold it on craigslist for 10k...losing money and kicking the problems down the road for the next guy to deal with.

Mondial's are the only Ferrari's that people expect to be "cheap" to maintain because of the low buy-in, so I think they are often shocked when they see it costs as much to maintain them as any other v8 Ferrari of the period, and thus spread the misconception that they're expensive to maintain, beased on the discrepancy between their expectations and the reality more than the actual numbers involved.

Charlemagne likes this.
  20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. It was $4800 for my major, engine out...at a well known indie shop here on the East Coast.

ronfrohock likes this.
  21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Indie in CT cost me $5800 on my 1982 8

Had a few "while you're in there's", but I was quoted $4K, and had to woooooooof up that extra 2G's, which sucked...

davemqv likes this.
  22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, to be clear...I was mechanically restoring what turned out to be a fairly neglected car. The major service was $4800. The final bill was A LOT higher than that. Lol.

But I could have skipped a lot of it. I wanted to make the car as mechanically perfect as I possibly could.
    But a GTS QV in the same condition would have cost the same, for the same work.

23. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    That’s about what I paid recently at Ferrari of New England

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

davemqv likes this.
  24. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I beg to differ: my one owner t has very low miles but it is in very good condition and very reliable. Everything works as new, but for the ABS. As Fernando (Competizione) suggested, I procured a used ABS CPU and will have it installed at the next major. Of course I have the complete records from day one.

25. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #25 moysiuan, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Low mileage but proper ongoing maintenance is absolutely fine too. But many low mileage cars can also suffer from deferred maintenance and lack of attention to age related degradation, especially dependent on storage conditions. As an obvious example, some think tires are fine if they have good tread, but after say 7 years they are not going to allow the car to perform to its potential, some people are proud their low miler has original tires, which is very unsafe. Same with suspension bushings, brake hoses, etc. It is also expensive to keep a low miler exotic car in top condition, its easier to justify preventive maintenance for a car in use where reliability is part of the usability equation.

Of course a high miler car could be used up and need all these things too. But a car that is driven regularly is typically maintained well, by definition.

If your car is reliable and enjoyable to drive, no reason for it to remain a low mileage car for much longer!

I too am a second owner with records from new, and have more than doubled the mileage under my watch, at 65,000km now, so still rather on the lower end of mileage for a 30 year old car. But is has been regularly used, garage kept with winter storage in the heated garage. Very reliable, but I maintain it meticulously to keep it that way and do so regardless of mileage.

davemqv likes this.